BeautyHacker

Asian double eyelid surgery turned out HOODED!!??

Hi guys
Last month (end of Nov 2018) I travelled to Seoul and had incisional double eyelid surgery + ptosis correction done by Dr Seo at MVP clinic. I initially had monolids with lots of excess skin due to my daily wear of double eyelid tape. My crease was said to be 7mm, and I opted for a 'natural and tapered' look. I explicitly told Dr Seo that I did not want a crease too small, and hooded eyelids was the LAST thing I wanted. He nodded and I was reassured that they would be the perfect size for me. Unfortunately, that did not turn out to be true!

I healed strangely fast after surgery; almost TOO FAST if thats even possible. Of course I was extremely ecstatic with my healing process as I could venture out with only some light concealer and nothing else, a mere 4 days after my surgery (had very minimal to no bruises, and I deswelled extremely fast). I got my stitches out after 6 days and I loved my new eyes. Pretty much everything in the first week was going PERFECT.

However, around the 9-10th day, I noticed the front of my crease (near the inner corner) on my left eye drop dramatically to the point where it looked hooded when I looked straight. Of course this stressed me out and I msged MVP on kakao talk straight away. They were very slow in getting back to me as I questioned why I now had this hooded look. I also noticed I still had a lot of excess skin on my eyelids (when I open my eyes, the skin 'covers' the crease thus making it look smaller). Elizabeth or Victoria (I forget which one), my consultant, said that I had to wait minimum 6 months for the swelling to completely disappear (at this point Im super stressed as my eyelids are already a lot smaller than I wanted and I know that they can only get smaller as I deswell??)

Now (end of Dec 2-18), BOTH of my eyes are hooded as the inner half of my right eye has dropped dramatically as well. So now I'm stuck with a pair of hooded eyes that I did NOT want and even explicitly stated I did not want. Each day I check to see if they've gotten smaller, and some days they are more hooded than others. It's quite depressing.

I am already considering revision surgery for the end of 2019 to correct this hooded look. MVP has offered me free revision surgery (except the cost of anaesthesia although Im not sure how much this is). I'm wondering if anyone has been in this position? Is it worth it going to a different country (Im in Australia) to the same clinic that provided unsatisfactory results in the first place, even if its cheaper? Should I opt for a different clinic? Has anyone had experience with botox or brow lifts? I've heard that these can help with hooded eyelids but it is not a permanent solution and is also quite expensive.

Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

If anyone wants prices and photos etc., dm me.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Princessegg,
I legit have the same issue with Dr Seo at MVP! My eyelids are basically hooded now even though I specifically asked for tapered and relatively big but natural crease. I only recently asked them on Line so I'm waiting for the reply but fingers crossed they can do something about it!

Wow, even with a proper incisional DES??Because I had a non-incisional DES + ptosis with Dr Seo too several months ago. It looked great at first, but after one month my eyes became hooded even though the thread is still visibly there.

It's probably due to the anatomy of our eyes, lack of brow bone and heaviness of our eyelids, that leads to hooded eyes after DES. I expected the non-incisional to be a temporary fix anyway, as I am planning a different kind of eye surgery, before finishing with a permanent incisions DES to cut away the excess eyelids.

Go to other clinics for a second opinion, as Dr Seo is known to be conservative with his DES, even though you asked for dramatic + ptosis.

Also try to experiment with eye makeup in the meanwhile. I find that certain types of eyeshadow (e.g. glittery), have a gritty, sticky, creamy or chalky texture that provides friction to the eyelids, therefore enhancing the eye creases. You may find that some mascaras or fake lashes could provide the heaviness that bring out the eye creases.

But I stay away from all eye liners, because they just engulf the "barely there" eye creases to non-existence like a monolid, not to mention the black line just smudges off even with the 24-hour waterproof stuff. I don't have the ability to draw a super fine line on the waterline rim around my eyes, so I just stick to gold or light coloured eyeshadows, and tilt my head upwards or raise my eyebrows with a surprised or sultry look in photos to enhance the dimension of double eyelid crease.

Quote below is from Oculoplastic surgeon Joseph Walrath
Epilogue: The Dark Art of Ptosis Repair
It is very interesting to observe that the left upper lid, which was initially higher, has fallen somewhat. This is not something that would have been directly caused by the surgery on that side. This is an indirect response and demonstrates that the lid heights between one eye and the other interact: changing the lid height on one side can effect the lid height on the other side, sometimes in a subtle way and sometimes in a dramatic way, through a neurological phenomenon known as the Hering effect. It is partly for this reason that every upper lid ptosis patient is told there is a 10% chance that they will require touch-up or revision after their surgery.
If you want to stay in Australia try Dr Tai Smith, Oculoplastic surgeon in Brisbane

Otherwise at the risk of sounding like a promoter for Wave, my other choice if I wasn't having my eyes done in SK would have been Wave in L.A. Sorry I'm not sure what 'hooded' eyes are like so if these examples are hooded then i apologise in advance. WAVE eyes LazyBumTot's.jpgLos Angeles WAVE amazing eyes and nose.jpg

Omg it's so sad that he's done this to several people :sad: On here there is only shining reviews about him so I feel like they are all promoters! Why has no one else posted about the hooded eyes given to them by Dr Seo when it's clear we are not alone :'(
I hope they can compensate us in some way. Flights and accomodation is not cheap and I heard revision surgery is a lot more complicated and risky than the first time round so I'm really stressed!
DM me if you want to chat more! Maybe we could go back to SK together ahahha

Thanks for all the advice! I definitely need to play around with makeup to see what works with my hooded eyes now. I used to wear eyelid tape and always knew exactly how to make my eyes look huge.

Have you ever heard of any people's experience with undergoing revision surgery with Dr Seo? I feel that he is really nice and didnt do a BAD job on me exactly; his stitch work and everything is quite nice and my scar is not visible when my eyes are open at all. It's just the size of the crease and the hoodedness that bothers me. However I have not read or heard anywhere about how good/bad he is at revision double eyelid surgery!

Have you planned where you are going to get your incision DES?

Actually I'm now just over 5 weeks post op and BOTH my eyes are now hooded! So my right eyelid crease has dropped to match my left hooded crease. TBH I feel like my right crease has dropped even lower than my left one. Initially after surgery, my right eyelid was always the more swollen one so it always looked bigger, and now that a lot of the swelling has subsided, my right eye is now the one with a slightly lower crease :sad: In any case, they both just look extremely hooded, and only the very outer corners of my eyelid are visible when I look straight ahead.

Thanks for the recommendation! Is he any good with revision surgery? I am probably more confident going with an asian doctor as I feel like they know the asian face better but after the first surgery not going as planned, I'm not entirely sure now!

I didn't want to say it but I think he's Chinese. I think he'll be good to have a consult with. Ask he is Skypes to save you a trip. He's done great work on ageing eyes and he's an oculoplastic surgeon.

• 2 weeks later...
De
Definitely going to have to do a lot of research now. Either way, doing revision anywhere other than MVP will cost me thousands :'(
My relatives are against me going back to SK now as they think I've been scammed (going without parents and being a young girl and everything hhahaha). They say I should have gone China lol
My mom is against revision surgery all together :sad: I'm also already really scared of the risks. Even worse, if my eyes turn out even uglier than they are now fml

Give it a bit of time since it’s only been a couple of weeks post op. Probably after all the swelling is gone, you won’t see so much puffiness or hooded eyes.

Hi! I have the same problem as you, but different doctor.
I got “INCISIONAL” des this summer. Flew all the way to Korea for it. The whole point was to remove excess skin which I had a lot of.
However, when my eyes healed I realized that they were very hooded.
Long story short, my Korean friends are telling me I got scammed because I paid more money for Incsional, but was only given non-incisional.
Sigh.... now I have to go again this summer for round two of des.

Thing is, there is no swelling or puffiness in my eyelids :sad: I healed extremely fast. When I came back to Aus only 10 days after post op, nobody could tell I had surgery done (I used to wear eyelid tape so double eyelids looked normal on me). As the weeks go by the only thing that changes it that the hoodedness increases. My crease is basically non existent now fml. If I had known this would happen I would've just stuck with eyelid tape because at least then my crease was bigger

Omg that is such a scam! Did you not realise it wasn't incisional when he doctor didn't remove the stitches a week after surgery? Do you mind me asking which clinic you went to? And how long post op are you now? Do you have any clinics in mind for revision?

I know how you feel :sad: I already knew I had a lot of excess skin from me using eyelid tape for several years and I thought it would be removed during surgery. But theres still so much skin that it sags and completely covers over my new crease line!! I suspected the doctor removed none at all but they checked my file and said they did but who knows.. At least it's easier to remove more skin than to fix it if too much skin were removed... but so annoying that we have to travel across the world again to get it fixed!! Where are you originally from?

Yes this is exactly what happened to me too. I had some other things done to my eyes at the same time. All together, I had skin excision, ptosis, des and lateral canthoplasty. I asked for a parallel crease but he said the only way I could do that was with a lower crease. I ended up with a tapered crease anyway. I also ended up with hooded eyes. I 'm also not happy with the ptosis correction. My left eye opens a bit bigger and is noticeable esp when taking pictures. I'm not sure if I want to go back to Dr Seo to have this corrected bc the eye surgery was the most painful thing I ever endured. I started crying bc I couldn't handle the pain and I think that's what contributed to the uneveness. I'm considering going back to Dr Seo, but as you said, it might be worth it to have it done by him again. I'm looking to have a few things done with my eyes again anyway so idk if they'll charge only the anaesthesia fee. I actually want to have the des reversed if it's possible, as well as lower canthoplasty on one eye to correct some asymmetry and have the ptosis fixed. I think I might need some more skin removed too. I found a Dr in Kuala Lumpur that does some pretty nice work so I might look into having it done with her.