BeautyHacker

Hello, does anybody has any good resources that outline the risks associated with lateral canthplasty? And lateral canthopexy (lowering of outer corner, not extending the outer corner like lateral canthoplasty) - I've been told that it's a seperate procdure from lateral canthoplasty, and I'm going to get it alongside. From a purely aesthetic point of view I do want both these procedures.. but lately there's more talk about the risks of lateral. And canthopexy - theres literally no medical literature I can find - the Korean procedure seems to me modified version of the western one which is actually to bring the outer corner UP instead of DOWN 😅

Edited by Rae

Canthopexy vs Canthoplasty

Sometimes the terms Canthopexy and Canthoplasty get used interchangeably. Technically these are two different procedures. These two basically work on the outer corner of the eye (lateral canthal tendon / lateral commissure/canthus). Canthopexy is repositioning the tendon without cutting it. Canthoplasty is cutting the tendon. Both techniques can be done in combination, which some surgeons for simplicity sake will then just call a canthoplasty.

These procedures have been done for years to correct malposition of the eyelid corner. To create wider and brighter eyes, it's usually correcting "Mulan" eyes, where the outter corner slants higher than the inner corner, so the outer corner needs to be brought down (canthopexy) and moved out (canthoplasty).

Canthoplasty = makes eyes appear longer. 

Canthopexy = corrects slant

Cantoplasty + Canthopexy = improves length + slant and has synergy of making eyes look bigger when combined together.

625201889_canthopexyandcanthoplasty.png.09b7a46608884fe7daad5ae65ae724fd.png

This photo shows how positioning the outer corner, out and down creates larger or brighter eyes.

Risks:

All surgeries carry risks, for canthoplasty and canthopexy common complications include deformity of the outer corner (lateral commissure/canthus), recurrence (going back to how it was before), mucosal exposure (exposing too much of the pink tissue in your eye), and ectropion (the inside of your lower eyelid sagging and skin rolling out exposing too much pink soft tissue).

Sources: 

• Thanks 1

I am very interested in lateral canthoplasty. One of the clinics advised me [in an online consultation] that if there is not enough white space [of your eyeball] being covered by your skin, then there is nothing that can be done as far as canthoplasty goes.

Do either of you know if this is a common problem, or do most people usually have the ability to get lateral canthoplasty?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, Rae said:

Hello, does anybody has any good resources that outline the risks associated with lateral canthplasty? And lateral canthopexy (lowering of outer corner, not extending the outer corner like lateral canthoplasty) - I've been told that it's a seperate procdure from lateral canthoplasty, and I'm going to get it alongside. From a purely aesthetic point of view I do want both these procedures.. but lately there's more talk about the risks of lateral. And canthopexy - theres literally no medical literature I can find - the Korean procedure seems to me modified version of the western one which is actually to bring the outer corner UP instead of DOWN 😅

One clinic I consulted seem to have this procedure. But honestly I'm not that sure because we chatted in another language. She described it as lowering your lower lid down (I told her I don't want lateral canthoplasty since I wanted bigger, rounder eyes and not horizontally longer eyes).

She showed me some photos but I don't think they're that big of a difference.

• 5 months later...