BeautyHacker

Why do you consider surgery in Korea?

Hi everyone! I was wondering how you started your Korean cosmetic surgery journey. I mean I suppose most of us are in North America, which is a 12 hour long-haul flight away, plus the language barrier. Plus so many fake reviews and advertisements and occasionally horrible news of medical accident there. What are the factors made you decide on choosing Korean doctors. In my own consideration, I'm weighing between, having surgery here is closer to home, legal and medical system is more familiar, to Korean doctors have lots of experiences, maybe more advanced technology (not sure), their beauty standards are more cohesive with mine (I'm Asian). I would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts! 

Oh I think I should share the surgery I'm considering are sliding genioplasty, super natural looking double eyelid, and some laser skin care. 

• 4 weeks later...

I’m actually in the same boat as you. I’m from Australia and have looked into PS in Korea based on the fact that the doctors there are highly exposed to asian features and thus, would make sense to choose those doctors over a doctor at home who mainly works on caucasian patients! I have however had second thoughts as medical insurance, being familiar with the medical process in Australia and being closer to home + spending less money overall all factors in in whether plastic surgery in Korea is worth all the travelling etc. ! Personally though, for eyelid surgery, I’d definitely would only get it done in Korea as I’ve seen really good results! 

Hello, Im in North America as well. I think for me i decided to travel to either Korea or Japan to get my des because it seems like they have better technology and have experience with asian plastic surgery. I was hoping to make a vacation out of it too but not sure if ill want to go out after surgery lol.

Yeah I agree with the posts above. I’m also from Australia but my parents are from Korea. My mum would never let me get plastic surgery here but she is open to me going to Korea. Korea seems to be be leagues ahead in terms of medical technology and technique for Asian plastic surgery. Also, the doctors here wouldn’t have as much experience dealing with Asian facial structure. 
I personally had my DES at Wonjin in Seoul. 

I believe to some degree it is a numbers game. If you have east asian features and want des/rhino etc. the country where the doctors are operating almost 99% on people like yourself will, to some degree, have a higher base level of skill/results than the doctors back home (the us for me). Even if a dr in the US says they are good at or familiar with asian aesthetics, there simply isn't the population of patients that can compare to what the doctors in SK are doing.

But on the flip side, the medical education system is structured differently in SK, you may deal with a language barrier, the high competition between clinics means there are shady practices that go around, and it's a long and expensive trip for some. You have to do your due diligence and spend a lot of time/energy to weed through what you want. To that extent, you need to have enough resources (money) to make sure you aren't being pressured into a hasty decisions because you don't have enough time off, or money for a reputable dr, etc, so my only advice is to go when you are financially and emotionally stable in your life.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go to Korea ultimately because I trust their abilities and technology more so than other asian countries. I feel like China and SEA countries have less than stellar reputations while SK, Japan, and Taiwan are known to be PS hotspots. You only have one face so it's important to go somewhere where your chances of getting a successful surgery outcome are higher. I live in America so the cost of the getting plastic surgery is insane compared to South Korea so that's a huge bonus. Kinda feel like you can get more bang for your money there lol. 

• 2 weeks later...

I work in the medical field and from personal experience i'd be very hesitant to get plastic surgery done in my home country (in SEA). The laws aren't that strict and most of the doctors performing cosmetic procedures here are not even certified plastic surgeons, so i'd rather take my chances in korea. Plus everyone gets plastic surgery in korea so the volume of cases are likely higher, which means the doctor would have more experience. I'm not saying that korea is definitely better, but at least i can spot a dodgy clinic when i see one.

• 2 weeks later...

I was originally thinking of doing the surgery in LA and prior to starting a new job. I looked on RealSelf for reviews of plastic surgeons and wasn't too impressed with the before and after photos.. I felt like their work looked really Westernized and also there weren't many reviews. I had a consultation with Dr Goretti Ho Taghva via facetime and felt kind of uneasy. Her reviews were almost all positive but the vibe they described and what I felt didn't match up. Also it was only a 4 minute consultation and they wanted a 20% deposit to book a date.. I don't want to commit before the surgeon even touches my eyes or sees pictures of what I want at least.. Now I'm debating if I just want to go to Korea and do it there since there's more surgeons who routinely operate on Asian eyes. 

I'm from SEA and to be honest i'm really wary to do my surgery in the area, especially my home country. Not only PS here is considered somewhat a sin that make people instantly eligible to judge you, but i also think the dr(s) aren't that great. Privacy is important for me for that reason too. I feel Korea is a bit far from where i live so i feel a lil bit safer, as long as i can find a good dr, that is.

On 10/29/2019 at 6:31 AM, bbq said:

Yeah I agree with the posts above. I’m also from Australia but my parents are from Korea. My mum would never let me get plastic surgery here but she is open to me going to Korea. Korea seems to be be leagues ahead in terms of medical technology and technique for Asian plastic surgery. Also, the doctors here wouldn’t have as much experience dealing with Asian facial structure. 
I personally had my DES at Wonjin in Seoul. 

Hi, May I ask you how was your DES at Wonjin? Are you happy with the result?

Hi! I think I have the same reasons as you. I think one of the selling points is that Korean doctors probably have more experience / a more fine tuned aesthetic eye for Asian features. I also figured that it would be a little bit cheaper than the celebrity doctors that exist in the US. I’ve looked at rhinoplasty doctors in the US (Yoo, Lee from Beverley Hills) and I’m actually unsure about the quality of work because of the clever marketing and highly mixed reviews. One thing I’m afraid of for Korea is the absolute horror stories of implants moving out of place, etc. 

• 1 month later...

For me, I think that the Korean beauty standards appeal to me. I feel that the doctors in Korea are much more knowledgable and can cater to Asian faces well. The prices of plastic surgery is not as expensive as compared to the west as well. My family lives there as well so it would be nice for me to go visit them and travel around haha