BeautyHacker

Post-Op Supplements

Hi! Everyone here has been so helpful and friendly I thought I would contribute what I can as well.

I did some research on common supplements people might take post-op to speed up the healing process. A word of caution for over the counter supplements. They are not regulated by the FDA for purity or quality. The content of the pills you purchase over the counter can vary greatly depending on the manufacturer. There may be things that aren't listed on the ingredients contained in the pill since the factories producing the supplements are not regulated. In general if you are purchasing a supplement look for a "USP" sign on the bottle. That means the company voluntarily subjected it's product for verification by the USP and those supplements are usually better quality. That being said, supplements like Arnica or Bromelain have not been proven to help with healing. Vitamin C or ascorbic acid, because it is an antioxidant, may speed up healing. There aren't a ton of large studies on it but I have even seen doctors use IV vitamin C in patients who are in critical condition to help with healing. The information below was taken from the Natural Medicines Database from Pharmacist's Letter.

If you guys have any other medication related questions feel free to ask! I work in a hospital as a pharmacist so I have experience with pain medications and antibiotics as well 🙂

Arnica
LIKELY UNSAFE ...when taken orally. Arnica is considered poisonous and has caused severe or fatal poisonings (5). It can be cardiotoxic and cause large increases in blood pressure (5,17,19103). Arnica is irritating to mucous membranes and can cause gastroenteritis, muscle paralysis (voluntary and cardiac), an increase or decrease in pulse rate, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, nervousness, nausea and vomiting, multiorgan failure, increased bleeding, and death (4,17,104,19101,19102,19104,19105,19106,19107,19108).
INSUFFICIENT RELIABLE EVIDENCE to RATE
Bruises. The effects of arnica on postoperative bruising is unclear, as results from clinical research are conflicting. Most research shows that topical products containing 10% arnica, as well as homeopathic oral products such as tablets, globules, and capsules, are not effective for reducing postoperative bruising (19107,19119,19120,19121,19122,19123,19124,90611,96769,96772). However, some conflicting research shows benefit. One clinical study shows that applying arnica 20% ointment 0.25 grams twice daily for 2 weeks reduces laser-induced bruising compared to white petrolatum ointment (19125). Other clinical research shows that applying a specific arnica cream (Arnica Krem 75 g, MediTech) four times daily reduces periorbital bruising in the first week after rhinoplasty compared to no local treatment (96773). There is also some preliminary evidence that homeopathic arnica products may reduce postoperative bruising. One preliminary trial used a specific homeopathic oral arnica product (SinEcch, Alpine Pharmaceuticals) in women undergoing a face-lift (19124). The second used topical hydrogel pads containing homeopathic amounts of arnica 50M and marsh tea 50M (OcuMend, Cearna Inc.) for 6 days in patients after oculofacial surgery (96770,96771). These two latter studies were both small and poorly designed, and any benefits were likely due to chance.

Bromelain
Bromelain is a general name for proteolytic enzymes obtained from the stem and fruit of the pineapple 
POSSIBLY SAFE ...when used orally and appropriately. Doses up to 240 mg daily have been used safely for up to a year (957,960,6252,6253,10622,11457,18281,18284,91104,91105,91106,91111). Higher doses up to 3200 mg daily have been used safely, short-term (18283). ...when used topically and appropriately. Bromelain has been used safely as a debriding agent for up to 4 hours (91113).
Sinusitis. Several small clinical trials show that short-term and long-term use of bromelain reduces symptoms of acute and chronic sinusitis, especially nasal mucosal inflammation and edema (18276,18277,18278,18279,91105). The trials used bromelain 40 mg orally (usually the product Ananase) (18276,18278,18279) or 6 bromelain tablets each containing enzymes of 500 International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) units (91105). Bromelain is usually taken in combination with decongestants, antihistamines, and/or antibiotics. However, the studies have a number of methodological problems, and results are inconsistent.

Vitamin K Cream
Topically, vitamin K1 (phytonadione) is used for eliminating spider veins, bruises, scars, stretch marks and burns, treating rosacea, speeding healing, and reducing postoperative bruising and swelling. It is also used to reduce EGFR inhibitor-induced acneiform rash, or rash and burning associated with subcutaneous interferon treatment in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).
POSSIBLY SAFE ...when vitamin K1 (phytonadione) 0.1% is used topically in a cream for up to 12 weeks.

I don't really recommend vitamin K cream although it says it's possibly safe. Creams can harbor bacteria. When applied to an open wound you might increase your risk for infection. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey thanks for sharing this- I also have a science background although not a pharmacist.  Totally agree with the arnica. So many PS push it here even after filler injection saying it will make  buises go away faster- total BS!

I took the pellets once when I was too young to know any better, ended up having a severe allergic reaction and needed an epi pen injection.  Had no idea it was part of the daisy family which I am super allergic to.

• 2 weeks later...

Rosie, how about consumption of Troxerutin supplement after surgery? Recently in the kakao chats and on Discord, a couple of people have been recommended this oral supplement called ELAS-A solution by some pharmacists in Korea, supposwd to help with deswelling (and maybe anti-inflammatory?). Its active ingredient is Troxerutin 3500mg per liquid ampoule (to be added to a drink).

According to what i managed to Google translate about it, it is supposed to help veinous issues and swelling/edema.

Do you know anything about this ingredient and is it safe to consume? 

Screenshot_20200229-171615_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by honeyjello