BeautyHacker

How can I make my calves smaller?

i feel all your pain:crybaby:i too have the same problem, pretty severly i might add because im very small everywhere else, not to mention pretty dam short. even my thighs look disproportionate to my calves! i HATE it! i cant wear boots that are even the littlest bit taller because of this, it sucks so bad.

i used to think it was all my years of figure skating, dancing, swimming, soccer and later running, stairstepping, weight training etc. any kind of physical activity/sports/exercise, you name it i did it. i want to blame that just to feel like its not genetic and *maybe* i can do something about it,but i have a feeling its genetic. ppl who have participated in as much sports and exercise like me, ppl who are lifelong athletes like me....not all of them have this problem. so it CANT be all the sports....

i should double up on the stretching and pilates and see what happens. i had really given up years ago, .but it still bothers the **** outta me...:yucky:

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the muscular calf thing too! I especially get it when I wear and walk around in high heels or flats. Wierd, hunh?

I have to agree with previous posts that stretching out the calves is essential. I stretch it after a short warm-up and also post cardio workout.
I get so paranoid that I also stretch thoroughly before going to bed almost every night.

But, for me, it's genetic too. Since I like to run long distance, they certainly won't be shrinking anytime soon. Just trying to make them more toned and streamlined-looking :smile:

elipitcal machines shouldbe finebut make sure you keep your heels down and don't push with your toes

I wouldn't advise the stepper as people tend to cheat by lifting the heels and this means you are specifically working the calves I'd also say no to step classes

I have a friend who is a trainer for a professional sports team. He said that it is genetic and your muscles have memory so every time you work them at all the muscles come right back. The ladies that said stretching helps are right. That will elongate the muscles. I wear high heels every day and read in some magazine that heels contribute to big calves. Although, I'm not giving them up because they make your legs look better. I guess we just need to keep the rest of the legs slim so they don't look fat as well.:yucky:

Practice pointing your toes and flexing your feet alternatively. Also face your kitchen counter on flat feet and do rises (these are called releves - phonetic = rell e vay), a ballet move.

If you have naturally large calves, there's probably nothing you can do, but if it's extra fat, toning up your calves will help. Good luck!

I think it does have to do with genetics. I jog over 50km a week and although the muscles on my calves are much more noticable than before especially when I'm wearing heels, my legs havn't really got bigger. And I hardly ever bother to stretch for more than a minute after my workouts. On the other hand, a friend of my claims she never does any kind of physical workout she has humongous calves. She hates them so much I've never seen her wear skirts or dresses. Funnily, she says that it is probably because she swam a lot when she was in school.

I disliked my larger calves for most of my life. I will agree with those that say it is genetic. But last year I became one with the calves and finally started wearing dresses and skirts. Was very liberating!!!

(but if someone can figure out how to shrink 'em.. well I am all ears! :P )

I also have muscular calves. I think the trick is to work out in a way so that the muscle sits high on the calf making a nice shape.

I'd love to know the proper way to stretch out calves though, I think that I should start doing that every day.

• 2 weeks later...
hmh... i hate my calves too.. .i m already in desperation with my calves. also cause my legs dont fit with the rest of the body. everything is thin but just the legs especially calves...
can there be water in the legs?
what to do against it?

• 3 weeks later...
I have the most thick fat calves, it looks like I work out alot!

It makes me feel so unfeminine, does anyone have the same problem and what do you do to make them more slender?

**** sorry posted in wrong forum****

Wearing heels or wedges will give the appearance of more slender calves - although i really love wearing flats as they are so comfortable

My calves are more muscle than fat so there's nothing much i can really do about my fat calves too! I have started to get used to them