BeautyHacker

My Journey with Back of Head Augmentation in Korea

Yeah I can sleep fine. Everything is fine tbh. I was really concerned if I would feel the edges around my head from the bone cement, but its all tapered really well. I cannot tell what is bone cement and what isn't.

Although this is one spot to my left that I CAN tell, but its cosmetically insignificant. Dr Song warned me of that particular area due to the limitation factor of the treatment. But aside from that, it all looks awesome. Another thing is that I had a little bit of swelling for the first week, but its completely gone and normal now. The scar is also 2 inches but barely noticeable.

I owe it to Tony for confirming to me that Jogak was a great clinic for headshaping. Jogak is more well known locally than internationally. Tony walked me through the Korean website.
More info about Tony here:
# I'm very happy that I was able to finish the procedure WITHOUT a silicone implant. This definitely also improved my side profile as well.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nervous about surgery and pain associated with the procedure ...can u walk me thru what they did from the time u came into the clinic to get the surgery and what it felt like during surgery ...and also I have a really flathead with no definition in the back do u think it might be a problem don't wanna WASTE my time to fly over there and not be able to complete my task. And can i do same day? And how soon after can I leave? Sorry for too much questions thank you for your blog ive been dealing with this my whole life one hat to another with anxiety.

Hi Calikidd, I understand why you may think it's scary...I watched Game of Thrones and Khaleesi's brother died with molten gold poured over his head. So I totally get the feeling lmfao.

But in reality, the surgery is PAINLESS. Probably the least painful and rapid recovery surgery I had.
From a pain scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being absolutely the worst, I'd say the pain is at 3.

1) I dressed into surgery clothes and I stayed in a really cute room with a nice heated bed.
2) Went to the surgery room
3) The had me lay down with my face down. They wrapped some towels around my head, but I had no trouble breathing as there was plenty of room.
4) The doctor trims a bit of your hair on the back. He washes your head with antiseptic liquid.
5) Doctor applies local anesthesia. You don't feel anything. He also gives you some sleeping agent. You'll start tripping a bit but its kinda fun without any nervousness. It felt like I was traveling through space. I remember I met a talking choo choo train LMAO.
6) You may feel slightly uncomfortable, but no pain.

Surgery is done in 45 minutes, but the tripping thing speeds up time. Its all over way sooner that you think. Dr Song applies a cast to your head. My Airbnb host Tony jokingly said I looked like an ISIS terrorist with it on :biggrin: ... ;-;
So then you're ready! If you train at the gym, you won't feel sore. I was ready to walk over hills to go for Korean BBQ. If you haven't trained at the gym you may have a sore neck. Dr Song gives you some cold/hot compresses to use. Sleeping with the cast on is no problem, but make sure you get no water on the cast.

You'll come back the next day to get the cast replaced with a new one.
You'll come back 2 days later to get it removed altogether. But your scalp will have a bit of swelling that would go away after a week.
You'll come back a week later to remove the staples in the incision site. The incision is 2 inches long. I've healed well and no one can tell.

Hope this helps!

Hey, ash...have you seen miracles done in the doctors profile picture for an extremely flat and uneven back of the head? and can i get the procedure the same day and what is the least amount of time i have to stay out there i cant get too many days off...thanks again.

Yep! I've seen a lot of before and afters on his computer. I even made him show me recent ones and cases that looked similar to mine. I saw all different types. He said he's done over 2000 cases which is a LOT. I'm sure he's seen everything.

But there are limitations with bone cement that he'll discuss with you. I think you can stay in Korea for 4 days for this surgery and have a local doctor back at home to remove the stitches a week later, which is what I did.

Also, be patient with Dr Song and don't feel afraid to pester him with emails. He's kinda slow at responding to emails but he's very genuine. He's very technical and calm during his explanations.

@Calikidd Hey no problem. You actually don't need a translator. Somebody posted this before but here it is again. This is the Jogak website in English.
http://eng.headsculptor.co.kr/

If you need a place to stay, I can introduce you to Tony. PM me and I can give you more info on him. Or you can read this link:
# For just an Airbnb price, you get free transportation to near by clinics and translation. Actually his Airbnb at Yeoksam-dong was like 3 blocks away from Jogak.

Let me know if I can help you any further. Try PMing me.

Hi to all! I am interested in procedure as well, specifically on the back of the head. I am leaning toward Item and Jogak but it is so hard to choose who is the best. Both before after photos are nice, but I tend to think both might be photoshoped... So how to judge the results? If I am not mistaken Ashly117 mentioned Dr Song from Jogak use versabond. I did not heard of versabond before. Is it any better than osteobond, then how better? I did not find any info on the Jogak page about versabond, however...
Do surgeon stretch the scalp during the procedure? What are the limitations of this procedure with osteobond/versabond? Is ts scalp elasticity limits or what?
Does Dr Song from Jogak speaks english?
Also, I noticed that Item makes 3-4cm incision and Jogak 5 cm. Is it depends on the case?
Ashly117 what can you say about Jogak clinic itself? Is new, clean, modern etc?
Who of them, do you think, can make a most dramatic difference?
Any thoughts, someone?

@zunizua
You raise some really valid concerns. My biggest fear was the photoshopping of pictures thing. I asked Tony about this, and he took time to explain that any Korean clinic would get busted by the law if they posted photoshopped pictures. Its essentially the same as how an American clinic would be under investigation if they did similar things. Also doing such a thing would ruin their public perception as Koreans can post a searchable blog through Naver and shame the clinic. Secondly, when I went into the consultation, I specifically asked for legitimate cases in their computer files and NOT the ones on the website. I wanted to see the before and afters of RECENT cases. Ask to look for a LOT of cases.

Dr Song speaks very good english. You can actually try using the email on the website to contact him directly. This was a huge factor for me because he writes back thoroughly in solid English which made me feel very comfortable. He may take a day or so to respond, so don't be shy in following up as much as you can. Versabond is the newer and improved form of Osteobond...which is what Dr Song told me. I believe Dr Jung in Item still uses Osteobond though.

I consulted with both, but I could've also gone with Item. I'm just more comfy with Jogak to be honest. Item is a much bigger cheap looking clinic as they have 3 full floors of a building. Jogak is much smaller and feels like a big modern 4 bedroom apartment with a traditional flavor to it. Nearly everyone I saw at Jogak were doing head surgeries while Item had sooo many people for various surgeries.

Thank you Ashly117 for your time answering. Is it necessary to do x-ray or 3d ct scan or similar tests before the procedure? Does computerised predicted/expected result was shown to you before the procedure?

No CT scan! But Dr Song took a BUNCH of photos at various angles before and after. Essentially its more of an art procedure than an exact science, which is why the surgery is not common in America. Americans want an exact method to solve the problem so they usually opt for using the silicone implant method which requires a CT scan. The "Korean way" uses bone cement which highly depends on how artistic the doctor is. Also I did not need any tissue expansion...my scalp was pretty stretchy according to him but this would vary among individuals.

Also, Dr Song seems very precise like he was able to address my features and explain what he thought was prominent and lacking. His sense of aesthetics aligned with exactly what I had in mind which was a BIG factor in choosing him. It really depends on how you feel after the consult.
You may find better connected with Dr Song...or Dr Jung at Item...or the BonePS doctors. Good luck!

Ashly117 Are you 100% happy of the result or do you think it might be better? Did the procedure met your expectations completely or were there limitations to achieve more dramatic change in your case? Also, you mentioned Dr trimmed your hair a little before the procedure.I thought the procedure is done without shaving a head?

@zunizu Well, in terms of happiness, yes I'm 100% happy. Is the surgery 100% perfect? No. I don't think any surgery can achieve that. I'd say this surgery met 93% of the perfect result. This is great because I'd say if you can achieve north of 90% of the perfect result from your surgery, your surgery was a great success.

I honestly think the surgery exceeded my expectations. I was so nervous. This surgery gave me the WORST anticipation because 1) It is not common in America...and not that common in Korea too 2) There were like no reviews about it. 3) I had the photoshop fear lingering in the back of my head no pun intended.

This all could've turned out badly very easily, and I'm grateful it didn't. My right side profile improved significantly. I always liked my left profile, but my right looked wayy off. Now I look balanced and attractive on both sides.

You don't have to shave your hair. I did because I wanted to. Also, the doctor makes a very small trim to make the incision. It's easily hidden with hair. You don't have to worry about that part :smile:

Thank for sharing your experience, Ashly117! Will the scar be noticeable if you shave your head completely? Do you know the scar closure method Dr. Song applied -regular or trichophytic closure. Trichophytic closure is completely invisible. How many days after the procedure you could sleep on the back of the head without worry to damage a scar or the result in general? Do you need careful with area of procedure right after procedure and now, when living a normal life?

@zunizua: Hmm.. not too sure about the scar. I can't see it at all and in all the b&a pictures Dr Song showed me, I couldn't see a noticeable scar at all. My scar definitely healed very beautifully. I usually have a buzz cut and nobody noticed anything. My dad is usually very observant and he couldn't see my scar.

I started living a normal life Post op day 1 onwards lol. Well, maybe post op day 3 when I got my cast off so I didn't look like an ISIS terrorist :P