BeautyHacker

How do i tell taxi drivers where to go in Korean?

honeyjello

Question

Hey all, I am sure many of us who don't speak much Korean or have very little knowledge of Korean would face this problem while trying to take a taxi in Korea. While we can have the option of showing the address of our destination written in Korean or try our luck telling the driver our destination in English with hopes that Mr Cab Driver understands a wee bit of English to know where to drive to, I was wondering what would be a polite way to tell a taxi driver to go to your destination in Korean when you board a taxi?

Would it be 아저씨, (destination/address in korean) 가세요. - is this considered a polite way to ask (and won't get you kicked out of the cab)?

Any help will be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

Taxi drivers will usually understand you're a foreigner and lower the expectation for you to speak Korean.

If you want to speak Korean for practice or to be polite then you can try to say this simple script:

• Anh yeong ha say yo - 안영하세요  - Hello
  • Yo Gee - 여기  -  Here (show driver the address)
  • Ka ju say yo - 가 주세요  - Can you take me please?

Also in Korea, it's best to show a Korean taxi driver the address in the Korean language. 

PRO TIP:

1) Driver's like big font and text. If you can some copy and paste text into a app to increase font size or screen shot and zoom, it makes things easy.

강남구 대치동 998 (instead of small font like this: 강남구 대치동 998)

강남구 대치동  998 =  District - Neighborhood - Land Lot Number

2) If you have the English address and want the Korean version use this website:

998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul (English version of above address)

http://www.juso.go.kr/openEngPage.do

3) There are two ways to express an address in Korean

If you see another version of your address it is not incorrect, it could be one of two versions.

Example: 강남구 대치동 998 and 강남구 테헤란로114길 11 are the same place

In English: 998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul and 11, Teheran-ro 114-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul

• Land Lot Version (Old way, but taxi drivers are used to it)
    • 998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 
    • 강남구 대치동 998
  • Street Address Version (New way)
    • 11, Teheran-ro 114-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
    • 강남구 테헤란로114길 11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, kino said:

Taxi drivers will usually understand you're a foreigner and lower the expectation for you to speak Korean.

If you want to speak Korean for practice or to be polite then you can try to say this simple script:

• Anh yeong ha say yo - 안영하세요  - Hello
  • Yo Gee - 여기  -  Here (show diver the address)
  • Ka ju say yo - 가 주세요  - Can you take me please?

Also in Korea, it's best to show a Korean taxi driver the address in the Korean language. 

PRO TIP:

1) Driver's like big font and text. If you can some copy and paste text into a app to increase font size or screen shot and zoom, it makes things easy.

강남구 대치동 998 (example, instead of 강남구 대치동 998)

District - Neighborhood - Land Lot Number

2) If you have the English address and want the Korean version use this website:

998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul (English version of above address)

http://www.juso.go.kr/openEngPage.do

3) There are two ways to express an address in Korean

If you see another version of your address it is not incorrect, it could be one of two versions.

Example: 강남구 대치동 998 and 강남구 테헤란로114길 11 are the same place

In English: 998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul and 11, Teheran-ro 114-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul

• Land Lot Version (Old way, but taxi drivers are used to it)
    • 998, Daechi-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 
    • 강남구 대치동 998
  • Street Address Version (New way)
    • 11, Teheran-ro 114-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
    • 강남구 테헤란로114길 11

Cool tip on the 2 different styles of address. Didn't know addresses had 2 versions. Now i get why sometimes when i search a landmark on naver or kakao maps, 2 addresses appear. Always thought the 2nd address was another branch or something.

Really useful advice!