BeautyHacker

Pocket WiFi or SIM?

Ppp

Question

5 answers to this question

Here are couple of options:

1) Pre-order SIM with unlimited data plans (BEFORE GOING TO KOREA)

http://www.egsimcard.co.kr/

You have to order this before you arrive to Korea it can be delivered to your accommodation or you can pick it up at the airport. Good for short and long stays.

2) Get SIM / Pocket WiFi at the airport (ALREADY IN KOREA, but at Airport)

There are SIM card and pocket Wifi eggs available for rental. This is convenient for short stays under 15 days.

3) Pre-paid SIM in the City - KT Olleh Shop (Left the airport, but in the city)

https://global.olleh.com:444/eng/contents/about.do

Going to an KT Olleh Global Shop (one near Gangnam Station) will allow you to get a SIM with data plan and a local number. This can be a good option for both short and long stays.

Visit a global shop, it will be easier to deal with.

You need your passport, and must pay in cash only.

-------------------

Pocket WiFi's are nice, but having a SIM is just a lot easier, and you don't have to worry about carrying around another device

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

Pocket WiFi has the added benefit over SIM card purchased in-country of being able to be used in other countries, if you decide you want to visit other countries besides Korea.

I personally prefer a SIM, since I can use my phone as a hotspot if I need to connect more devices. However, you will need to make sure that your phone is unlocked, which can be problematic if you got your phone subsidized by your carrier. You would want to call your carrier to check if it can be unlocked before buying a SIM card.

• Like 1

I would personally use a SIM card. No need to charge or carry and extra device. No need to bother returning it at the airport either. There is also a cost to replace to wifi egg if you ever lose it. The cost for a sim card is a bit higher, but I think it is worth it.