BeautyHacker

Rhino surgery with septum cartilage

Hello everyone! I am wondering if septum cartilage is normally used for the nose tip only? Can it be use for the bridge as well? I asked some places and most of them told me to get silicon for bridge than ear cartilage for tip. Do you guys know any good surgeon that use septum cartilage often? I am not considering using rib cartilage. Thanks! 

• Like 1

If you keep hearing the same recommendation, it's probably because those are most viable options, even though they may not be options you like. You want to avoid "doctor shopping" which is looking for the surgeon who will just say yes because that may not be what's best for you. 

The surgeon has to work with the current state or anatomy of your nose and the quality of your cartilage, and these can expand or limit options in terms of what cartilage to use.

Basics on Cartilage Grafts

• COSTAL CARTILAGE = Rib
  • CONCHAL CARTILAGE = Ear
  • SEPTAL CARTILAGE = Nasal Septum
  • IRRADIATED / DONOR COSTAL CARTILAGE = Rib cartilage that came from another

When a surgeon uses a piece of cartilage from your ear, septum or rib, they carve it into pre-defined shapes know as grafts, and these grafts serve different purposes, some for structure and stability, and others for shape and form. 

Septal cartilage is strong and sturdy material, and has many uses in rhinoplasty. It can be used in the dorsal / bridge area, but usually it's used in combination with a implant to increase the bridge especially for those with a low bridge. But this also depends on the amount and quality of your septal cartilage.

Septal cartilage is also used in the tip area, and most commonly it's used to help give lift, projection and support to the tip, and ear cartilage is also used because it's round shape and softer material that works well with reshaping a nose tip. 

Rhino-semi-final-construct-150dpi-ws.jpg.43121d636a8930e74c9798a8d8cc3f23.jpg

download.jpeg.dfa8c2b919df3c3f894473540d7a520e.jpeg

Septal cartilage 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2018 at 12:13 PM, Jabba said:

If you keep hearing the same recommendation, it's probably because those are most viable options, even though they may not be options you like. You want to avoid "doctor shopping" which is looking for the surgeon who will just say yes because that may not be what's best for you. 

Thank Jabba! These are very helpful!

I am very open minded regarding what to use for my bridge and I will go with what the doctor suggests. The only thing I won't get is rib cartilage. I also prefer using less artificial implants like silicon if possible. I am not looking to have a dramatic lift for my nose bridge so I am hoping to find a surgeon who use septal cartilage often and potentially with more experience. Through consulting online, I was suggested with silicon implants most of the time and only a few cases mentioned about septum. I want to get opinion from a doctor who uses septal cartilage often. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The common problem with Asian noses is the low bridge, what that means is that we need a lot of something to build a higher bridge and we don't have a lot of nose cartilage like septum in the first place for even tip, let along bridge hence doctors in Korea almost never suggest septum. On the other hand, It's really normal for doctors to suggest septal cartilage usage when it's a caucasian person because they have a lot of it. 

• Like 1