BeautyHacker

Is it better to bring your own currency to Korea or convert all currency into Korean won first?

I keep my usd cash for years and when i plan to bring it to Korea i just realised my usd all are 2006a series. Some of it have yellow marks and obvious. The rest are perfectly good but all the same series 2006a, not the newest series. For my case, where can I exchange my usd in Korea? Will the Korean Bank accept the condition of my usd?

The bank should be able to exchange them but the money exchange stalls will not take them.

Take the dollar and see if they’ll give you discount giving US dollars... if you want tax refund because you did not get a good deal, then get the cash converted to korean currency. Despite government crack down on tax evasions in Korea, I think they like foreign currency.

• 5 months later...
Hi you brought over 10kusd or in Korean won? I’m thinking of bringing 18k usd but in won

I bought 15k USD and I did the same thing and had it exchanged in Myeongdong (in front of the Chinese Embassy). The exchange rate was way better than the ones in Gangnam area.

Can you bring sgd notes ? Or only usd