BeautyHacker

Brutally Honest V-Line Review with *** X-Rays ***

Hi Everyone,

Peachy Sky here. I had my surgery in early October 2018 and it’s been almost 2 month. I wanted to wait this long to write this review because I want to give a holistic account of this major surgical experience. This is my second time in Korea for plastic surgery so I kind of knew what to expect.

Here is the breakdown for my V-Line surgery:

Clinic Name: The Face Dental (with Dr Lee)

Surgery: V-line (Mandible Reduction + Sliding Genioplasty) + Electro Masseter Muscle Reduction + Masseter Botox

Surgery Duration: around 1.5 hours

Trip Duration: 10 Days

---Before the Trip---

I came to a firm decision to get a v-line surgery in Korea two month before my actual surgery. Ever since I was 16, I wanted jaw bone reduction and chin extension because of my traumatizing childhood. My mother is verbally abusive and often questions my genetic relations to her because I did not have nice double eyelids or a slim V-line like her. She would call me "Pancake face" and tell me that she did not want to show my pictures to her friends because I was "gross and ugly". She was ashamed of having me as her daughter.

My father, however, is extremely against plastic surgery.

So I saved up money secretly and went to korea for plastic surgery twice. I had non-incisional double eyelid, epicanthoplasty, fat graft, and breast augmentation at Pitangui 3 years ago but I will do another review for my first time in korea *if people are interested*.

My decision to come to korea for my vline is because of the great reviews I read about TFD on PurseForum and the reasonable price. I felt safe talking to Dr. Lee and other patients regarding their experiences over Kakao. I did not consult with any other clinic in person but I did contact EverM. However, they were not very responsive and did not appear like they cared for me or my business.

To prepare for the trip, I brought Carnation Breakfast Essentials(for the liquid/soft food diet I need to go on for around 3 days post op). I also bought additional facial ice/heat pack wraps to switch off with the one the clinic provides. Lastly, I bought Arnica Montana for bruising(recommended to me by another girl who had V-Line done).

---1 st Day---

My flight to Seoul was quite peaceful despite the fact that I took a budget Chinese airline. I arrived in the afternoon and I was scheduled for my surgery on the next day. Dr Lee wanted to do my consultation on the day that I arrived so I rushed to the clinic after dropping my luggages off at my AirBnB. My consultation was at 6pm and when I arrived the receptionists seemed like they getting ready to leave(Dr. Lee was nice and kept the clinic open for me). The receptionists spoke a little bit of english but they were kind and a little bit nervous(which is understandable. I would be nervous too if you asked me to explain paperwork in a foreign language). It took around 30 minutes to fill out the forms and take my headshot and get X-rays for their file. I didn’t know my blood type but they said it was okay because I was going to get blood work done.

I met the consultant first, then Dr. Lee, then the consultant again.

The consultant is a korean lady with glasses and she wore a cream suit during all the days I’ve seen her. She spoke a little bit of english and we kind of communicated through gestures and google translate.

The consultant first took me to a consulting room with that has teeth and jaw models in the background. She left and Dr. Lee entered a few minutes later. Dr. Lee has a very calm and soothing demeanor. He spoke with fluent english and he quickly pulled up my X-rays to analyze my surgical plan.

To my surprise, I have really high nerve lines, which means he will be able to remove a lot of bone. Dr.Lee also discussed the fact that the ratio of my jaw to my chin is not ideal as my jaw is too long and my chin is too short. He said the v-line surgery will fix that. I was really happy because I’ve read about people with lower nerve lines which led to significant compromises in bone removal amount due to potential nerve damages. Dr. Lee also pointed out that I have very thick masseter muscles, which could be reduced through both botox and this electro shock method. He advised against permanent muscle reduction through a cutting method because it could permanently wreck/alter a person’s facial expressions. I asked him a few questions about post op care and he thoroughly answered everything. He also wrote down on a piece of paper of what was going to be performed and the prices next to it.

The consultant came later with that piece of paper and asked how I want to pay. I brought cash in USD and we just went on google to search the exchange prices. After I paid, I requested for a receipt, which was provided to me right before I left. The consultant also gave me a sheet printed pre-operation instructions which detailed

1. No food or drink 8 hours prior to surgery

2. Remove all hand and feet nail polish (a slight problem cuz I had gel nails on haha)

3. Do not wear contacts and bring glasses if needed

4. Wear comfortable clothing that is easy to change in/out of

I went back to my AirBnB, took a shower, ate some convenience store bento, drank lots of water and went to bed. My surgery was scheduled for 10AM the next day.

–- Surgery Day –-

I woke up around 5AM and went to the convenient store across from my AirBnB to purchase some nail polish remover and porridge in preparation for my liquid diet. I also took a single *sip*(not gulp) of water to rinse my dry throat. I also spend 1 hour on removing my gel nails.

I arrived at 9:30 AM to the clinic. The consultant led me to my ward, gave me clothes to change into, helped me put my stuff into my personal locker and brought me down to the surgical floor.

When the sliding glass door opened, a whole team of people were waiting for me in this big surgical room… I was quite intimidated but I was glad that so many people were there to witness if anything happened to me haha I was instructed to lay down on the surgical bed. A needle was quickly stuck into my arm. The female head nurse was really professional and swift with her actions. The anesthesiologist also introduced himself and I was instructed to count down from 10. I only made it to 6.

I woke up to people calling my name and telling me to wake up. “The surgery is done”, said the voice, “Time to wake up.” I wobbled off the surgical bed into a wheelchair with the assistance of the nurse.

The next two hours were very gruesome as I drifted between panic and sedation. I was also VERY COLD. So cold to the point that a nurse came in and helped me rub my hands for warmth. The anesthesiologist also came to check on me and offered me some kind words of comfort. I warmed up around 1 hour past surgery and I was given a tiny bit of water around 1.5 hours past surgery because I was coughing due to my dry throat. Dr Lee came to check in on me between surgeries. He mentioned that the surgery went well and I was offered to stay for a night in the ward but I chose not to because I probably would not have been able to get a good rest from all the machine noises. I was also given multiple IVs for anti inflammation, vitamin and swelling. I was also instructed to walk in laps around the ward floor to help with swelling. I soon saw patients who came after me were leaving with their families. The nurse came with a bag of post care instructions, medication(I had to pay for prior to entering the surgery room), and ice packs and thoroughly explained everything to me. I think I left around 8:30 PM in a cab called by a nurse.

As soon as i got back to my AirBnB, I fell asleep. I made sure to stack my pillows so my head was elevated to help with with the swelling. However I woke up several times during the night because of pain and breathing difficulties due to nasal congestion(you are not allowed to blow your nose). Pain never reached above 5/10 but the jaw aches was plenty to keep me from sleeping soundly.

Wait..wth is Electro Masseter Muscle Reduction? Does it last more than botox? Dang he never mentioned anything like that to me i shouldve asked ):
Glad to know your experience was better with the nurses though, and wishing you a speedy recovery. It does feel like dr lee actually cares about the patients i love doctors like him

Did you have a worse experience with the nurses? What happened?

I vaguely understood what Electro Masster Muscle Reduction is haha its when they bascially tase your muscle so it is damaged and doesn't flex as much haha I think Dr Lee offered it to me because I have humongous & thick muscles O;

–- 1st Day Post OP –-

I was swollen & tired. I drank some tofu soup and spent the day watching TV shows and walking around my room. I took my medication regularly, frequently changed my ice packs and drank plenty of water.

–- 2nd Day Post OP –-

Went for my first check up with Dr. Lee and he showed me my before and after X-Rays(I totally forgot I took X-Rays after my surgery LOL). My X-Rays looked amazing…. I almost cried… My jaw line was feminine, proportional, and everything I’ve ever wanted.

However, Dr. Lee explained that I will have tissue swelling for at least 3 months because of electro muscle reductions… In addition, I also have a lot of jaw fat which will compromise the outcome of my surgery. I explained that I am considering jaw lipo and Dr. Lee advised me to wait 6 month post op. I was happily reminded that my surgery was very successful but my face will feel stiff for a while due to my muscle reduction and inner mouth wounds. I could only open my mouth one finger width at this point.

The consultant brought me to a dental chair and issued some facial de-swelling laser and I was good to go.

---3-10th post op ---

These days were pretty much the same. I spent lots of time walking around and went to the clinic for a check up every other day. I came back to the states and went through immigration without a problem. Swelling was going down slowly but i was mainly worried about my smile...

MY SMILE WAS UNEVEN BECAUSE I COULD NOT LIFT BOTH CORNERS OF MY LIP AT AN EVEN HEIGHT!!!!!!!!

I panicked and Kakaoed Dr. Lee. He explained that it will take time for the muscles on my face to regain its mobile ability. I would just have to wait but it will recover eventually.

When I read your review, I felt like you are my lost sister or something, we both been through similar hardships growing up with a dislike to our jaw. My father is also against plastic surgery and told me for years to accept my appearance, but I just couldn’t. I also took Arnica and it was three days before the surgery. I know how it felt like having to do this surgery behind your parent’s back. It was quite sad isn’t it? We both wanted our parent’s support through this scary surgery, it’s probably one of the most important part of our life, yet we know they will never agree nor support it.

As for Electro Masseter Reduction... they use a small medical needle to transmit high frequency waves through the oral cavity to burn and reduce part of the muscles.

I am happy you got the surgery that you needed!

Ohh yea the one on the front desk was kinda hostile towards me, I guess because I'm ugly as **** and she's shallow lol the rest were okay. The one that drew my blood was funny and kind though. And i only wanted my left side to be smaller. Your results look good though

@Peachy Sky
I'm saddened to read what your mom did to you. Verbal abuse is the worst, sometimes family are the ones who really don't get it. I hope you can rise above and don't let her words get the better of you.
Congrats on your surgery, may your swelling goes down quickly and you get the result you want

Hi Taiwanboy,

Thank you so much for your kind reply.

I really enjoyed reading your post as well. I think for the longest time i seeked my parents’ approval and at one point i was just like **** it it’s not worth it.

Haha funny how strangers share the same feeling!

Best wishes to you for your recovery!

Haha i feel like the front desk girls are really nervous. I didn’t interact with the front desk nurse tho

I think Koreans are just generally skeptical of foreigners since i dressed so poorly in comparison to all the other fashionable ppl on the street haha...

Hi Archonei,

Thank you dear. Your message is so sweet and supportive. You are right, i will rise above this and live my own life :smile:

No need to dwell on the painful past while one can look forward to the sweet future.