BeautyHacker

Facial Liposuction at UVOM

I keep getting messages asking for before/afters, so I thought I'd do a public post. I gave my "after" to the clinic to use as well. (I did the same thing with Wonjin years ago; I don't mind if clinics publish my photos as long as they're not posting fake reviews under my pics.). I've been posting for over half a decade (and have been completely upfront about the good and bad of my previous surgeries, such as the autoimmune problem I now have thanks to the silicone implant in my nose).

A bit of a background: I first started pondering facial liposuction after taking a hideous professional photo. I am only in my early 30s, but had the face of an obese 45 year old. I started looking into facial liposuction in the U.S. (which you would think would be easy, since I actually work at a hospital myself), but it was next to impossible. U.S. physicians insisted that buccal fat removal was the way to go, even after I specifically pointed to areas that did not involve any buccal fat. Ultimately, they just weren't comfortable with facial liposuction; many told me it "couldn't be done safely." I later read that this procedure is performed safely and commonly in Korea all the time. After googling "facial liposuction Korea," I found UVOM.

As I wrote about in prior posts, the customer service at UVOM is just simply amazing. I was shocked to find out that the person in charge of their FB marketing and translation had only been there for TWO WEEKS. They were like, a MBA class case study on how to run a business. She helped me in countless ways. The consultant was also amazing -- so gracious, kind, and patient. The doctor was definitely skilled and the nurses and phlebotomists were top-notch.

Recovery was rough. I was more swollen than the average patient and required (what I assume are steroid) injections into my face. I swelled worse than people who had zygoma reduction! I flew home a day early because I needed to get back to work; unfortunately, the swelling persisted for 1-2 days even after I was back at work, so I definitely received some weird looks.

I've attached the hideous professional photo that inspired me to get facial lipo, along with my "after." For the record, I asked the doctor NOT to perform aggressive liposuction and aim for a more natural approach. I work with other physicians all day and they would know in an instant if I'd had any sort of "dramatic" work done, so I wanted to be discreet. In addition, because I am already in my 30s, there was worry that my skin would not tolerate the loss of too much fat well. Still, I'm pretty satisfied with my results. They did what I wanted -- reduced fat without looking unnatural or having sagging.

I have spoken to people who have had this done and it takes a while to recover.

Absolutely not. I looked like a total freak afterwards. I did have more swelling than usual, but facial lipo causes a lot of swelling and you will definitely not be able to go in public in that short of a timeframe. I would plan to take an entire week off at minimum.

Like $2500, I think? Significantly cheaper than the U.S., because they didn't just do lipo, they also used the fat to reposition in areas that were needed (under my eyes, and into my nasalabial fold). You can negotiate the cost. Most places cut you a discount if you allow release of your photos. Banobaji originally offered me 30% discount to use my photos publicly; they went back on their word and tried to lower it to 20%. I did not end up going with them. :-s As I said in another post, the integrity of the consultants, translators, and management is important to me because if they're being sketchy, I don't want to have to deal with them again if the surgery goes wrong.

A lot of people are down on Wonjin on this website, but they gave me a free revision YEARS after my original one even though it was against their contract (the revision period was only supposed to be 1-2 years). This stuff is really important, esp. in the world of PS, as there are never any guarantees that you'll be happy with the results.

T
hank you for the reply! Did you get a discount for photos? I definately am considering UVOM, but I'm not sure

Yeah they agreed to it, though I'm not sure if I actually got a better or worse deal than their other promos/discounts. Every clinic I spoke to agreed to it other than Hanabi and VIP (however, Hanabi's prices are EXTREMELY low as it is for rib rhinoplasty, so I can see why they would refuse to lower it.) VIP was expensive AND wouldn't cut me a deal. Oh, well.