BeautyHacker

Want to get Zygoma/cheekbone done but dont know which doc route to go(Long post)

Hello all. I stumbled upon this forum once I set my search for looking for a Surgeon to these procedures done. Before I get started, here is some background:
I am a Caucasian male in my 20's. I have VERY wide and large cheekbones as well as a large square jaw. I know for men, looking masculine is usually a good thing but this is on another level. If you stand 10 feet away from me or more, I just look very angry and mean.....not because I am angry or mean but that's just the way my very wide cheekbones and large square jaw make me look. And not cute mean, I am talking like I look like the guy the mob would send to your door when you owe them money and are behind on payments.

For years this has bugged me pretty bad and I first considered having this procedure done 4 years ago. Originally I thought it was too crazy and not to mention too expensive. However 4 years later and this has plagued me even worse. I feel like the quality of my life from time to time takes a dip. Some days my insecurity gets so bad that I literally just feel embarrassed to be out in public at places like a grocery store. For context, this doesn't happen often...maybe once every 3 weeks where it gets so bad that I can't go out in public, but it still hurts like hell when it does happen. My friends and close circle are pretty cool where I have never really been made fun of for it, but there is just moments every so often that I see a reflection in public or even at home and it just sometimes will ruin my whole day. Also worth mentioning, I now have financial freedom where the price tag for these procedures is not so crazy anymore.
So my goal is to find the best surgeon. I don't really care for the price tag at all. I just want skills.

Now, onto my search:
I live on the west coast so naturally I looked for doctors that are out here. For the record, I am brand new to the world of plastic surgery. So my search lead me to finding the following doctors:
Dr. Kimberly J. Lee of Beverly Hills
Dr. Thomas T. Nguyen of Orange County
Dr. Kyle Keojampa of LA/Bay area
Dr. Charles Lee of Beverly Hills
Dr. Harrison Lee of Beverly Hills

Now, outside of 1 doctor they're all Asian, which is what lead me to post in this section. I know at the beginning I said I am white, but it seems like my features are common in the Asian community. This is what also lead me to researching and reading how people got this done in S.Korea. But before I get into that, the doctors in the US I listed above all seem very legit at first glance. Having been features on mainstream news, blogs and magazines. But this is where the stressful part of the search begins: It seems like a few members here feel like they aren't real maxilofacial surgeons. And I read on RealSelf what is their most common procedures, and it seems like soft tissue is the most common. It seems like they only dabble with hard bone surgeries very minimally. Having said that, each one has a review or two that just flat out scared me........but I don't know if they're fake or not.

So continuing my search, I started looking up S.Korea. It seems like it's a huge hit and miss. The first part that struck me as weird is people review the clinics, vs actually reviewing the doctors. From what I understand, these larger clinics are like a factory where they are just trying to get through as many bodies as possible. And also it seems like for some, the doctor you get is like spinning the wheel as each clinic has multiple docs that do the same procedures. I do not like this too much as I can see how this can lead to bad outcomes. However, one smaller clinic with just 1 surgeon really caught my attention: The Face Dental with Dr Joongkyou Lee. I have ONLY read positive reviews about him, and he seems like he does these hard bone procedures left and right. That is kinda what I am looking for. Again, the US doctors seem like they "have the ability" to do these procedures, but their most common stuff is soft tissue. The Korean docs, and specifically Dr Joongkyou Lee seem to mainly do these hard bone procedures.

Of course, the Korean stories scare me. When I read things like "In Korea they can just buy their degrees, they are not held to the same standards as US, they have more room for error in that country...etc etc etc"

So overall, I just want some opinions. Maybe the US docs are good after all, or not. I am all ears and that is why I am here. Also I do understand the risks of these procedures with sagging, I also understand that in the event I have to go to Korea, the language barrier is there,and it seems like they make you walk to the pharmacy after your procedure, and you have to stay in area for 10-14 days.

Any advice helps, thank you.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think language is not a big problem because most of clinics in Korea have staffs can speak English,and dr Lee speak very good English.
For 14 days staying there,you can go around to explore Seoul,it’s a beautiful city :smile:)

On a side note, how bad is the downtime for the cheekbone reduction and jaw surgery? If you or anyone knows?

Because I would LOVE to explore Seoul and take some tours, but IDK how I will feel. I am prepared to bring my laptop and load it with 2 weeks worth of movies, but if I could feel good enough(and if my face doesn't look like I just got beat to crap), sightseeing in S.Korea does not sound too bad. I have always wanted to take a tour to the DMZ.

This also under the assumption I go the Korea route.

I watched some videos on YouTube,most if the people who got Zygoma,jaw reduction said that the hardest time is day 1,2 .But on day 2nd,they started walking around because it helps de swelling alot.I think after day 4,5 you can go around,take some city tour or just go shopping.It’s good for you if you walk alot after the surgery

I would say take all negative review seriously, positive reviews are most likely fake or written by people who get discount if they write good reviews. Don't trust influencers since they get the surgery for free, and all the care and better surgery they get, is because they're influencers.
I know how you feel when you can't go outside sometimes, happens a lot to me and I am thinking about face dental, dream or view. Im not Asian. Dr Lee in Beverly Hills told me 10k for zygoma reduction and he said he'll break the bone and let it heal naturally! I was not convinced by that, as not fixing bones with screws or plates causes malunion!

I had mine done at Namu and I really liked their method for the zygoma reduction but Dr. Lee at the TFD is very experienced with non-Asian patients and I have two friends (one Asian and one white) that got theirs done at TFD and their results look pretty nice so far. Dr. Lee understands the difference in Western and Asian beauty standards. I almost chose Dr Lee but ended up choosing Namu because they both have good surgeons but Namu has better aftercare program.

I was going to go Dr Lee in Berverly Hills but I noticed that soft tissue is the most common kinds of procedures he deals with. The face dental Dr Lee at least deals with these kind of hard bone surgeries on the regular. I just feel like between the 2, the face dental Dr.Lee has FAR more experience.

Nice. Glad you had a good experience

Hello! how do their methods for zygoma reduction differ? Could you elaborate? I'm set on TFD :smile:

They don’t remove any of your cheekbones. They make incision through your sideburn and from inside of your mouth, they cut your zygoma, push them inward to the proper place and rotate them to give you a more volumized look on your cheeks. Your muscle and tissue all stay on your zygoma which minimize sagging issues down the road. TFD is great too, Dr Lee is very good. I only didn’t choose them because of lack of aftercare.

I think the reason there are so many people who have had a bad experience with cheekbone reduction is that most people who get it don't actually need it. If you genuinely have very oversized cheekbones then I think TFD is a safe choice.

• 2 weeks later...
I just got my zygoma reduction at TFD and very happy with the results, you can look up my review. best of luck

Hi
Jasmine,I cannot find your review,could you please share your review ‘s link here