BeautyHacker

Facial contouring consultation experience (EU, TheFaceDental, JUM)

*My main concern: Protruding cheekbone, asymmetry (1 cheekbone larger and lower than the other) (aesthetic/cosmetic purpose only)
*Shortlisted clinic: EU, TFD, JUM, EverM, Namu, Regen, View, Dream
*Consulted at: EU, TFD, JUM

1. Last month: Initial Skype consultation with Dr. Lee at TFD
Dr. Lee at TFD is the only doctor who agreed to do an online consultation (as far as I know). He agreed that I'm a good candidate for cheekbone reduction. He briefly explained the process to me. To my surprise, he also asked me "What do you think of your jaw?" I never thought anything about my jaw, I think it's ok lol so I told him so and asked if I should do anything about it. He said not necessarily if I'm feeling okay with it.

2. Arranging face-to-face consultation
I contacted them all via Kakao (except for View - Whatsapp). Contacting EU, TFD, EverM, Regen, and Dream via Kakao was easy and straightforward. Namu was not very responsive, so I had to contact them on both Kakao and Whatsapp, but still they don't seem to care that much lol. Contacting JUM was tricky. I left my number on their website, and was contacted by Olivia. She's a 3rd party but claimed that she's from the clinic (thanks to this Purse Forum I can tell). I'm not sure how a 3rd party can have my info thru the clinic's website, but anyway I managed to contact them directly via their Kakao.

3. Face-to-face consultation
Before meeting the doctor, the process is the same everywhere: Fill out a form => X-ray.
After meeting the doctor, you'll discuss the price with the consultant.

- EU Dental: I came to EU first because it was my top choice. I brought a question sheet, but most of the pre-op and post-op questions were answered by the consultant. Dr. Kim's consultation was quick and only about the surgery, but he noted things from my X-ray very quick and gave me a lot of details. He also told me the mm he would cut from my zygoma, and addressed his solution for my asymmetry (I didn't tell him - he noticed it) which concerned me the most. I asked him about my jaw as Dr. Lee at TFD mentioned before, but he said I don't need to do anything about it. He can reduce the mandible angle a bit if I want, but not necessary. The clinic was clean and bright. All closed rooms. 1-floor setting. There's a pharmacy downstairs. It's in the same building with RUBY Plastic surgery. I liked the facilities and the location here the most. Dr. Kim doesn't speak English, though I think he understood some keywords. the consultant spoke English fluently.
- The Face Dental: Next stop is TFD. The consultation with Dr. Lee felt more personal compared to with Dr. Kim at EU. Beside zygoma, Dr. Lee recommended me to reduce my square jaw as well so that my face is more balanced. He also mentioned that my chin can be moved a litttttttttle bit for a better ratio. This was a surprise to me actually, I never thought that my face had that many imperfections; but as he pointed it out, I can't unsee it lol. Also, Dr. Lee was known as the type of doctor who wouldn't recommend things that the patient doesn't need; whereas EUDental was portrayed as the pushy clinic, so I felt weird a little bit that I wasn't recommended a square jaw reduction and genio at EU. Haha. Anyway, for my asymmetry, he said it's in normal range and everyone has it, which drove me away because my asymmetry is my main concern, and though I can insist him on doing something about it, I don't really want him to do something he doesn't really see. He also asked for an ideal face, which I didn't like either because I prefer the kind of doctor who would tell me like "this is the best your face can achieve" and not operate however I like based on anyone's face, like a prescription lol. Anyway, the consultation was positive for me, his observations were superb and I had more things to ask about at my next consultation. The place was also clean and bright. Multiple floors (for X-ray). Dr. Lee speaks English fluently. The consultant's English was limited.
- JUM Dental: JUM was the last place I visited. Dr. Lee at JUM was a bit intimidating, but I liked the consultation though. His observation was similar with Dr. Lee at TFD. Beside the cheekbone, he asked me what do I think of my jaw, and mentioned that though it's not THAT square, my face from the front is still considered a square face and that I should do something about it. I also asked him about my chin, and he told me I can move it forward a little for a better ratio too. When I asked him about my gummy smile (I forgot to ask about it at the 2 previous consultations T_T), he advised against doing anything surgery-wise about it. He told me I could have some botox because my upper lip muscle is quite hyperactive lol. He also told me to do it only if it bothers me that much, however, he thinks it's normal. I like it when doctor advise against things, so yay Dr. Lee haha. He also mentioned about fixing my asymmetry, not symmetrical like a mirror but to the point where I won't see the asymmetry. He didn't give me an estimate of the mm he's gonna cut; I'll need to do a face analysis pre-surgery to know this. I didn't like the facilities here that much, from the building to the location, and also it felt a bit dark inside. The consultant had to use Google translate 100% to communicate with me. Dr. Lee's English is quite limited. Sometimes he had to stop and think of the English word. He was the only one who took note of things I said during the consultation on my profile on his tablet, which was nice.
- I didn't consult at other places because
+ Dream, Regen: The doctor is away during the days that I'm in Korea.
+ View, EverM: I was short on time because other consultations took longer than I thought and couldn't reschedule. Also they were lower on my list.
+ Namu: They just don't...care. Other clinics reconfirmed the consultation 1-2 days before the consultation date, but they didn't. 1 day before my consultation date, I asked them if I could change my schedule to 1PM instead of 10AM. At 3PM they replied Sure (?) lol, and I told them the time already passed, and 3 days after that they replied "You can visit us other time".
- The price: The price at TFD was the lowest, but the difference is not much. After discount from the other 2 places, their prices almost match.
- My decision: I've been spending the last 2 weeks hesitating between EU and JUM. I liked that they both will address my asymmetry. I was leaning towards JUM because Dr. Lee Jumin addressed all the things I concerned AND all the things Dr. Lee at TFD recommended. However, the fact that they don't speak English was a problem, and also they only offer treatment once or twice a week post-op instead of everyday like the other 2 places. There were not many reviews for JUM either. For EU, I asked (via the consultant) if Dr. Kim can look at my X-ray again and let me know what he think of my jaw and chin. The consultant basically replied he recommend X if you want X, he can do Y if you want Y-ish; so I'm not sure if she even asked him or she's just saying what I want to hear. I highly doubt that she asked. Anyway as I mentioned, I don't like asking the doctor to do what they don't really see so I kept hesitating. A lot of time I almost put my deposit at EU, but I didn't. Last night I messaged Dr. Lee at TFD again, decided that I'll just ask him about fixing my asymmetry. He still remembers me, and re-explain to me that my asymmetry will be addressed, he had plan for it, however it's not just because of my cheekbone but also my chin. I googled what he explained and it hits me "OMG THIS IS SO ME". I almost skipped him because all he said was that my asymmetry is in normal range. Don't do that next time Dr. Lee. Lol. I spent 2 weeks hesitating between 2 clinics and spent 2 minutes deciding that I'll go to TFD. I know it sounds stupid but suddenly it just felt right lol. I've sent my deposit (at 11PM to avoid another round of second thoughts). I'm quite confident about my choice. Hopefully the surgery will be successful, finger crossing.

Bottom line
I know the price was the reason a lot of people picked TFD, but I've prepared for this for a long time so my budget can cover even more expensive hospitals if it were the best for me. I chose Dr. Lee at TFD because of his proposed surgery plan for my face. For those who can spend some time in SK for a face-to-face consultation, please do so. 1 or 2 days is already enough. It was a positive experience for me at all 3 clinics I visited, and again the only reason I picked one over another is because of the surgery plan. If anyone has trouble contacting any of the clinic mentioned above, I can share their KKT username/Whatsapp number. May we all have successful surgeries.

Now on to my next quest: Surgery prep. If anyone knows a thing or 2 about preparing for surgery, please let me know. I'm 2 months away from the surgery date.

That's great! If you can I still think you should visit at least another clinic too. Each doctor has a different proposal that might be useful for you :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
looking forward for your surgery and hope you the best :biggrin::biggrin: please keep updated with us

I went to The Face Dental for jaw reduction in 2017 as I got an obvious square face. The result is really a bit disappointing to me. It makes not much difference and my face is still a bit too “big” even after the surgery.

Worth to mention, Dr Lee is super nice and their post-op is really good. I got some infection after the surgery and I can go back to the clinic for checking up everyday. Dr Lee will see me even on Sundays.

Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for your input, due to some reasons I also got a partial of my deposit back and planning to go to another clinic. Are you planning to have another surgery?

I am planning to so that’s why I am reading this forum again. I read this forum then I chose TFD back in 2017. I am still doing research on the clinics at the moment. I might need your advices too.

Which clinic did you decide to go finally

I won’t judge you I know it’s difficult to choose the right clinic
Is your surgeon dr Kim ?

and may I ask why not jum ? I saw you liked them

Yes I went with Dr. Kim and contacted again to let him know I want to do more than just fixing my protruding zygoma. After I insist that I want the most perfect face line & face ratio I can achieve, he agreed that I can do v-line and proposed me with a quite similar plan. Though as I said I didn't like asking doctors to do this or that, however I think it's important to let them know what I want exactly.
The problem with JUM was their limited English (little to none English of the consultants, Dr. Lee Jumin's english is enough for communication but not sufficient for surgery wise). Plus they only allow de-swelling treatment once or twice a week, which does not benefit us foreigners who'll be stay for 1-2 weeks only.

Sure! I'd be glad to share any research I've had so far.