BeautyHacker

Surgery and Consultation at Namu!

Hey guys! So I have decided to document my surgery process and recovery here. Namu HAS given me a discount for posting this, but I also just want to give back to the people who have helped me here, and for the people in the future who may want to consider Namu.

Today......December 19th 2019:

I have a slight cold, sore throat and some other issues. Hope this doesn’t affect my surgery time much since it will probably take a long time.
The clinic was easy to find, and was only a few minutes walk away from my hotel.
When I arrived there, I waited for around 5-10 minutes for Claire to come meet me. There was a constant stream of Korean, Chinese and foreign patients which I personally thought was quite nice. She was much nicer in person, and her English although it was perfect, it was easy to understand. I made some comments to some other people about the way she writes back, but I think that was just a language barrier. She is very honest and super sweet.
I asked about a lot of things as shadow doctors and the amount of surgeries performed in a day. She told me that most of the time, only very large surgeries could afford to have shadow doctors (which if you think about it, it’s actually true since they need to pay them money to perform the surgeries for them.) they only perform 2 to 3 surgeries a day, which was why it was difficult to change my schedule since they were usually fully booked.
During the consultation, I stayed in the same room and Claire called each surgeon to the room to see me. Dr Kook, the eye surgeon was the first person I met. He was very honest about what was achievable and told me that my eyes looked fine length wise, but I insisted to make them a bit wider. Instead of incisional eyelid surgery, I got non incisional on one eye to correct asymmetry.
The second surgeon I met was Dr Kirk. He is the head surgeon and can speak English. He said if I wanted to make my eyelids more visible, I would need to do a forehead lift as well, which was a different surgery (I thought they were the same thing haha) I thought they were going to increase the price, but Claire said it was free of charge as a special service since I was a ‘photo model.’
The third and last doctor I met was Dr Min the new nose doctor. I was told he might be even better than the old nose doctor. When I was speaking with him, he seemed very knowledgeable with what he was talking about. I told him I wanted a barbie nose which is a slightly curved nose with a pointy tip. I was told the latest trend in Korea is a ‘natural looking nose’ but I think I already had that when I got it done before and it only looks okay, not to my personal taste.
I was then taken to a medical place to get a check up (X-Ray, scans, heart rate etc) They did a very thorough checkup to see if I was okay.
I’m waiting for them to call me for surgery right now as I am writing.
Sorry for any grammatical errors/ weird wording and order, since I wrote these as I experienced them so that it can accurately document how I feel right now/at the time if you are reading this at a later date.
A few days after surgery, I will update again!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting this!!! Good luck :smile: May I know why you choose NAMU and how you went about it (kkt consult first)? What is the price range if you are comfortable sharing, did you have to negotiate? Do you feel like they suggested good things to try or just give cookie cutter suggestions? Thank you.

Thank you for your review and keep update,good luck on your surgery!

WARNING!!! BADLY WRITTEN SINCE I CANT SEE AND GRAPHIC PICS BELOW!!
Hi guys!! I’m back! Just a quick update on how I’m doing after surgery. I honestly can’t tell the results right now since I’m swollen like a dead pig, but I’m feeling much better than day 1!!
So Day 1 19th December:
Continuing from where I left off last time, since I got surgery on the same day after consultation. I honestly can’t remember much since I was mostly under the influence of anaesthetic, but a few hours after surgery, I was throwing up quite badly. I apparently even threw up blood at one point, but I’m pretty sure that’s from the nose bleed. It’s pretty obvious, but I wasn’t doing very well. I could only drink water after 4 hours for reasons I didn’t really hear, so my throat was super dry. After 4 hours, I sipped on water very few minutes to keep my throat moist since I couldn’t breathe out of my nose after rhinoplasty.
For anyone considering zygoma reduction, let me give you a warning ahead of time. You will be extremely swollen, and will have a great deal of trouble even just opening your mouth, not that you should, since the muscles and bones there are all linked together. Around 17 hours after surgery, I could eat a tiny bit of porridge. But I couldn’t open my mouth side enough to fit the spoon in, so I just sucked in what I could without chewing. I could actually hear my zygoma bone if I opened my mouth wide enough, so make sure to open as little as you can.
Day 2:
Swelling has gotten worse and I can’t really open my eyes now to see. But I have stopped throwing up and they have let me stay an extra day since I was feeling unwell. I don’t know what’s going to happen if I swell anymore than this, since just the swelling itself makes me feel pretty ill. I got some protein drinks from Claire, as well as some ice packs etc which was pretty good. She explained to me when I should take three medicine and apply the ointment, so when I go back, I won’t die from pain lol.
I will update again when the swelling goes down as well as answer any questions anyone has asked me since I have a headache right now

Hi guys!! I’m back!!

Day 3:
Still feeling really bad. I had trouble eating because I couldn’t open my mouth wide enough. I didn’t recover properly since I couldn’t sleep because when I tried to, the headband would be too tight for me and cause my throat to feel choked.
The antibiotics make me feel really sick but I was told to not throw up as that may cause even more swelling. Around the end of the day I started feeling much better and could walk around slightly.

Day 4:
I started being much more aware with my surroundings and how I felt. Before day 4, I felt so bad, all I wanted to do was sleep and forget I had surgery, but most problems such as coughing up nose blood and that blurry feeling was mostly gone. My face still felt really swollen, but I think I never really thought about the little problems until the big problems go away. It was very uncomfortable having the feeling of an extremely swollen face. I tried to keep my head elevated as much as possible for as long as I can which I think did help a bit. I also noticed that I can’t seem to move my left middle of my eyebrows.
Note: I am barely wearing the headband now, I know this may cause more sagging, but it was really choking me, and I ended up coughing so much I thought I was going to relocate my new bone placement.........
Today (Day 5) Monday 23rd December:
I noticed a strange smell in my nose. It was a slight smokey and rotting smell, was since I couldn’t even breathe in anything, it was kinda weird to know I would still be smelling something so bad. I already had a bad appetite from the medication and lack of sleep, so that didn’t make me feel much better.
I went to the clinic today to get deswelling injection on my nose and get a new cast for my nose. It seems they are very busy and doesn’t really know what to do with me as they passed me to a new consultant called Helen to deal with as their other translators were busy? Claire is the manager in Namu, so she is always dealing with something. I’m wondering if this is because I got a better price for photos or something, so I’m not as important as the people paying full price. This didn’t really matter too much since even though Helen was new, she is super lovely and very friendly. Everything I asked, even if she didn’t know, she would find out for me, which was nice, and made me feel much more at ease. I have a very bad fear of needles, but she held my hand throughout the process, which was very nice of her. The nurses(? Don’t know who they actually are) in the clinic helped me clean my face and nose, and are very nice. Anyway, they cleaned out my nose and all the blood around my forehead and I even got a very gentle hair wash. (I think it was gentle, I couldn’t actually feel the top of my scalp to be sure)
I still have a runny nose which doesn’t seem to be a problem, but it will probably stay for a few days. This is normal. I forgot to address the problem of not being able to lift my eyebrows, which was a bit annoying. I will have to keep worrying until next time I meet them. (Unless someone can reassure me lol!!)

Recommendations:
Get some lozenges or something not too strong to soothe a sore throat. (Since they will also give you other pills for you to take at home, so make sure to check to not overdose) If you have rhinoplasty, you will be breathing out of your mouth for the at least 5 days if not more, so it is best if you apply ointment of vaseline as much as possible and drink lots of water to relieve a sore dry throat.
Keep a note of all your worries and ask them about it in person when you see them face them to face. It will be easier, as I even forgot to ask such an important question on my eyebrow movement!
Don’t bother buying straws thinking they might be useful, I was told to not use them at all (this may be different depending on which surgeries you are getting, but I wasted a lot of space and a little bit of money on straws)
Maybe search up and buy as many different soups as possible to keep your appetite going. The first few days were very difficult and I had an extremely hard time keep my food down. Even now, I still don’t want to eat much, since my nose has this weird smell.

How I felt overall:
The service wasn’t particularly pleasant nor unpleasant. You get what you pay for and I am sure that for the amount of surgeries I got, the price was extremely low (maybe even for Korean standards.) this is because I agreed to be a photo model, but it doesn’t change the fact that I paid a low price.
If I had been asked for a large amount of money like some other places, then I suppose I would expect more, but for what I paid I am happy with the treatment. The end result was the same and the staff were still polite. I just wasn’t their priority since it is December time and they probably are just super busy. The consultant Helen is super lovely, and if I could choose, I would be happy to have her as my consultant next time as well. My only problem was that I forgot to ask a lot of questions when I was there since everything seemed very rushed. This can easily be sorted out through just making a note of problems and such, so not a huge deal.
I personally would rather pay £5000+ less than have a consultant babying me through everything since this is my second time in Korea.
Here are some recovery photos that are blurred in the non important places. The side view is just to see my less swollen face. I will be taking my cast off this Thursday, so I will post them, so people can see my nose. When they took the cast off today, it looked really pretty!!

Thank you for your replies daysuntilpretty! Their new nose doc seems extremely experienced since they poached him from Wonjin(?) I told him a wanted a nose with at least a 90 degree angle and a pointy tip, when I saw my nose today, when though it was swollen, I was super satisfied!!
Did you like your results for eyes and fg?

Hi Neur1ps,
I chose namu for the price and reviews and stuff. It’s a pretty busy season, so a lot of times, some clinics may not even respond to you if you ask for discount. The reviews on Kakaomaps, even through they were late (in 2016?) were pretty good. They have a mixed range of people coming in, I don’t know if this is because of the fact that they do dermatology, but there does seem to be a lot of locals there (non I can see that actually had anything done or just something small)
I messaged them online on their website and they replied to me on WhatsApp. I can’t use kakaotalk, so I just asked about price and surgeries and dates through WhatsApp. I booked everything through texting with Claire, but I think they may prefer to do in person consultation instead. When I consulted with them on the day of surgery, they seemed to know what they were talking about and told me what was achievable though what surgeries. I wouldn’t say they would suggest new things, but rather, if you want to get something done, they could recommend for you what is available and best suited. They don’t seem to be just saying that to get a lower cost of anything though, since they just swapped out a lot of my old choices and added new surgeries in for no additional charge.
For price, I don’t think I can tell you for privacy reasons on their end, but I will ask Claire, and if she lets me, I can pm you :smile:

Ahh it makes me feel sad you're having such a hard time :sad: it gets better from 7th day on~ be sure to walk a lot.
Btw I don't think your discount should matter with the aftercare... If you're writing your experience, they should cater towards you more isn't it? The "original price" compared to your "discounted price" is just physiological trick to make you feel like you're getting a lot off... tbh nobody really pays the original price... I don't think you should regard this with how they treat you~ I'm sure the price you paid is still a lot of money^^ make sure you know what you deserve :heart: if you have any questions about recovery, you can pm me. I'm almost 1 month post op and maybe I can share what I experienced during recovery and current recovery.

Hi there FixedSister!
Thank you for your reply! To be honest, as long as the end result is the same, I don’t mind not being treated like a vip during busy times XD they only have a few English translators, and everyone was super busy, so I didn’t really mind. It would just have been nice for the doctor to not just tell me I was ‘fine’ but to actually honestly tell me/ remind me what is normal with my surgeries and recovery to reassure me a bit. I really do think I paid for it much cheaper, though like you said, that may just be a psychological trick lol I’m a pretty gullible person haha
I actually do have a few questions though..... since it’s near Christmas and they are probably closed and stuff, but do you think I’m healing at a normal rate compared to everyone else? I had so many surgeries, and right after surgery, I threw up for 2 days! That definitely made swelling much worse and now I’m kind of worried my face isn’t going to heal as well as it should since I was coughing and throwing up so much as well as swelling....
I’m also kind of worried that I have nerve damage on my forehead or something since I couldn’t even loft my left eyebrow up.......

I
im soo happy! Yes I was very happy with them, especially my fg cos it rly lasted well especially since I didn’t have my touch up o-O
But planning to do my touch up when I come back! I’m soo happy! You look great I hope the recovery isn’t too tough on you ):

Hello, your experience seem to be a lot worse than mine since I didnt throw up or cough at all but everyone react to anesthesia differently. I was very cautious from the 2nd day and was able to function properly however I just stayed at my hotel until 3rd day since the pills made me sleepy and my hair was too messy to go out in public. By 4th day I was out and about shopping around my hotel (had my hair shampoo service by this time along with other swelling treatments). After 4-5th day, that's when I start to deswell drastically.
Since you had different procedures done, i can't compare my swelling exactly to yours.
I did zygoma, jaw and genio all together so my swelling was slightly worse than yours on 5th day. Im guessing you don't have to worry because rhinoplasty also cause swelling to the whole face (swell migrates downwards). Fat melting injection (kybella, belkyra, deoxycholic acid ) causes swelling which will settle by 2-4 weeks.
As to your eyebrow ... That's something I never heard before. I didn't experience that either. I think it's still too early to determine whether it's nerve damage or not because sensation return mostly after 3 months and could take longer. The only sensational loss I had was my lower lip and small portion right side of chin. My lips is starting to gain the sensation back now at 29 days. I'm still very early so I'm not so worried. I suggest you ask why you can't feel your brows. Could be hairline lowering that's causing it ? I read from people who get forhead reductions lose some sensation around that area but will return eventually. Hope you get your answer~

Hi Guys!
It’s Day 10 of my recovery and I think my face has deswelled a lot. I have just taken the v line face band off, so my face probably looks a bit slimmer than it does normally. Either way, I am quite happy with the current results.
I am not going to document my recovery after day 5 because I feel like for a lot of people, after that day, you either just get used to it, or have mostly recovered anyway.
I am still brushing my teeth with a baby toothbrush and water and mouth wash they have given me after every meal. I am so impatient to get back to my normal routine now. (How I miss toothpaste!)
I still have some worries like the overall numbness of my scalp and cheekbones, and the asymmetry of my eyes, but most of that is just down to healing and deswelling.
Right now, I am very happy with my nose, but I’m actually kinda scared it will drool after it fully swells down, since the angle at this moment is perfect :sad:
They actually told me to still stick to porridge diet and not to chew, but I couldn’t resist the temptation and had some samyang carbonara noodles! I cut them up into really small pieces and softly chewed.
I have also been applying loads of ointment inside my nose since it’s really a cold dry season and I want my nose to heal properly.
I have hidden my eyes and mouth for privacy, but it shouldn’t be too much of a problem since I only want to show my nose and face shape after zygoma and buccal fat removal anyway
I will be back with more recovery pics when I hit 3 weeks post op!