BeautyHacker

Been contemplating getting plastic surgery for a while now. Any advice or info on good clinics?

I'm a 21 year-old Asian male and I've been planning on getting plastic surgery in Korea for quite some time now. I'm looking to get jaw reduction (v-line/chin surgery), cheekbone reduction, bulbous nose rhinoplasty, and possibly mid-face augmentation depending on the clinic and consultations. I received an online consultation through email with VIP clinic and the doctor recommended these procedures as well as the mid-face augmentation, however I'm beginning to question VIP clinic given the negative reviews I've read on this site. So far every single clinic I have researched (and I've researched far too many) has at least something negative associated with it or has very little info online. I've read people's posts saying that smaller clinics are better compared to larger ones, but I feel that it would be difficult for me to put my trust in a smaller clinic.

I won't be getting any surgeries done anytime soon given the fact that I have to save up enough money for the procedures (I'm planning on saving up around $35,000), but I've been doing quite a bit of research now so as to be prepared. Currently my list of clinics to visit consists of Banobagi, JK, JW, VIP (maybe?). I've read many negative reviews on JK and JW concerning treatment of patients, botched surgeries, and factory-like methods, so I'm leaning towards Banobagi. There also seem to be a few videos on YouTube that promote Banobagi from actual people and their experiences.

Any advice, tips, experiences, or general information on any clinic would be helpful and very much appreciated. My surgery date is probably not going to be for another few years but I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the decision. If anyone's going through the same thing, feel free to post as well!

Chris

Hi Chris, I am just going to say that you should continue to lurk and research diligently and look through some of the archives on PurseForum; Banobagi has been blacklisted in Korea according to my own research.

I feel inclined to warn you about V-Line and cheek reduction surgery; if you aren’t aware already there has been complaints about premature sagging issues due to loss of support for the muscles and skin from the bone that used to be there.

Especially as you are male, where a square jawline is actually desirable in men, I find it hard to justify such a drastic and risky surgery.

Many botched patients are in hiding and are afraid of calling out their surgeons as well. If you dig deep enough you will see some of the disgusting bullying tactics some of these clinics would use against their clients to silence them. I’ve read some sad stories where people have taken their own life because of their surgeries.

The reason why smaller clinics are desirable is because some of the most successful doctors would move on to create their own clinics after working at larger clinics. There are less chances of shadow doctors (often unskilled or in-training graduate students) if there are only one or two doctors.

It’s also common for doctors to change clinics; I’ve seen people who desired a specific doctor for their procedure only to find out he had left or created his own clinic and they rightly followed them. It’s about the doctor’s skills after all right?

Anyways I hope that helped.

Thanks for the reply, Gime. I'm definitely going to be doing more research in the future, especially as I get closer to my goal of $35,000. I've heard about the complaints on sagging skin from facial contouring procedures, but it seems to be a risk I'm willing to take in order to address areas of my face that I've been insecure about for quite some time now. Many clinics also reassure that their procedures take into account the potential for sagging skin in the future, though the validity of these statements may not be entirely accurate.

Many people, especially in America where I'm currently living, say that a square jaw is more attractive and gives off a more masculine look. Personally, I've always been insecure about my square jaw as it is very noticeable in pictures, videos, and reflections and makes my face look extremely wide. I also personally find the v-line smaller face to be more attractive and appealing to me, which is why I'm looking for a clinic that performs a good jaw reduction and v-line procedure that addresses the chin as well.

I can see your reasoning for opting for smaller clinics over larger ones, especially considering the factory-like methods that I've read a lot about. I heard about Banobagi being blacklisted which is why I'm still skeptical on whether or not it is a viable option. I may still check it out when I travel down to Korea for consultations just to see what it is like.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for smaller clinics that are good? I have been looking into View Plastic Surgery clinic from a YouTube video someone posted that showed their successful surgery, and I've read some good things about the clinic on this site. They also have a doll line (v-line) procedure that fits perfectly with the look that I'm trying to achieve, as well as cheekbone reduction procedures and rhinoplasty.

Thanks again,
Chris

Ok, as long as you are aware of the risks and you think it is worth it. I’m unaware of what clinics or doctors would specialize in your particular procedures but View also has a sketchy history and been blacklisted in Korea, and I believe a death.

I suggest you comb through the blacklist threads and read through people’s experiences. There is also a translated chart that shows which clinics have been blacklisted in Korea.

Seriously take your time to read through the threads related to the clinics you are considering; even for procedures you’re not totally interested in. It’s a pain in the ass but you’ll learn a lot about the clinics and people’s individual experiences with them. You’ll also learn how some of these reviews are fake or sponsored, but it’s your job to glean what you can from the information given.

Hi Chris, I've been through the same as you. It's normal for you to want a larger one than a small clinic. It was the same for me too. I had a hard time deciding which clinic I should choose since there was a lot of negative reviews in the places I really thought their b&a looked nice, but for me the negative reviews really threw me off.

I did mine at Nana, but I had only rhinoplasty as I had no bridge and my tip was too upturned (like a 'pig') and liposuction to remove a bit of my fats. You can read more about it in the review I posted about my surgery detail if you're interested. I don't think I've ever read anything bad about about Nana. Anyway, just letting you know my experience since I do want your surgery experience to go well. You should definitely do your own research, and choose the right clinic with the right doctors.

I'm guessing your surgery went well? I looked up Nana and read through their procedures on their site and they seem to be a good option as well. My main concerns with determining potential clinics are the chances of skin sagging/premature aging from facial contouring as well as the skills of the surgeons and reviews online. It seems like almost every clinic has something negative associated with it, so I'm trying to take that into account as well. Nana seems like a good option as they address skin sagging with the facial contouring, but it looks like the jaw reduction/v-line surgery is separate from the chin surgery. I would have to look into the clinic more and the skills of the surgeons.

Thanks for the reply!
Chris

I've done some research on Regen clinic as well. They seem to have mixed reviews with some saying that they do a great job and others saying to avoid them. I would consider their clinic if they addressed skin sagging and premature aging with the facial contouring procedures. Have you contacted them about the v-line procedure? If so, have they mentioned anything about sagging of the skin?

Thanks,
Chris

Update:

I've been doing even more research on many clinics and their practices, and so far it seems like Banobagi clinic is the one I'm leaning towards. I've read a lot about skin sagging and premature aging from facial contouring procedures which, not going to lie, is making me even more nervous about getting these surgeries done. At least with Banobagi they address potential for skin sagging and ways to prevent this in their description of the cheekbone reduction procedure, which I'm assuming is addressed for jaw reduction procedure as well. The things that keep bugging me about Banobagi though are the many negative reviews about them as well as the whole blacklisted thing in Korea. It seems like the majority of clinics have negative reviews just given the whole risk and view on plastic surgery in general, so I'm trying not to let the reviews dictate my opinion on these clinics too much (though I'm definitely taking them into consideration).

I've read a few posts on this site on Banobagi and people considering going to this clinic, and so far it seems like it's relatively promising. People have mentioned that it seems to be one of the busier clinics and has both foreigners and Koreans going to it. Also, I looked up the main surgeons at the clinic and they all seem to have good reviews with plenty of years of experience. Furthermore, I watched various YouTubers who have traveled to Korea and had surgery done with Banobagi, and they seem to be satisfied with the results. Though this may not be the best evidence to support Banobagi, at least there is some video documentation of their procedures and results from actual people online. One such YouTuber that I've been watching is sunnydahye, who has over 700,000 subscribers. She had plastic surgery done at Banobagi around 4 years ago and seems to be happy with the results. Seeing how great she looks in her recent videos gives me hope that Banobagi could do the same for me. Anyways, that's just where I'm at currently.

Chris

I went with my friend to have a consultation at Banobagi as well but it was horrible.. it seemed like a factory and my friend had to meet 3 doctors, waited around 1,5 hours but only ended up seeing one of them (and the meeting with the doctor only lasted 3 minutes). The Korean consultant really forced a lot of recommendations on her face as to what to change and what now, without listening to what my friend actually wanted. I've seen much better clinics, don't know if Im allowed to write them all here but you can PM me for more information.

Did you go to Banobagi around a busy time? I read that certain times of the year are busier than others. What other clinics would you say are better? Did you go to any other consultations?

Yes, I contacted them for V-line, they did mention about skin sagging when I asked them and they said it depends on your skin condition. I also think that it has nothing with a surgeon... I think it's more about how much of bone you want to cut and maybe weight. As far as I know, people tend to lose some weight after proceeding V-line, perhaps it also leads to sagging.

Some clinics state that they use specific methods and tools or materials to address skin sagging and premature aging, while I’ve also heard that skin sagging is based on the individual. I’ve also heard that skin sagging is inevitable, which is quite worrying. I’ve seen many Koreans with v-line faces and they don’t appear to have skin sagging issues, so I’m not sure what to believe.