BeautyHacker

Want to go for surgery in Korea on Sept 2020, where can I find a good translator / consultant?

Hi everyone, I really want to get surgery done in September in Korea, double eyelid and nose job; possibly facial contouring and grafting.

However I know that when you go to clinics they will mark up the price. Do you guys know of anyone I can hire who is familiar with the plastic surgery world, knowing the good clinics where locals go and would advocate on my behalf?
I also want a fair price for the surgery, and would really appreciate this. Any leads or services?

Also looking to join a Whatsapp/wechat group for those who are also getting plastic surgery in 2020, please PM me thanks!

You've got a lot of time between now and september. so there wouldn't be much value in scouting this kinda contacts until you get like 3 to 5 months out. cuz plans changes. docs quit, companies shut down, translators quit, etc...

there's a few chats but they're on kakao, i just watch them because now there are 2 many.

it sounds like you want to use an agency. if you want someone to help you rather than doing stuff on ur own then it's an option.

since u asked for recommendations hit up my seoul secret. they are fairly legit. i came across them through reddit and nana (aussie) from the 2015 chats used them. they're pretty smart and research focussed. but not sure how active they are. i used them for interpreters for small light trips and also liked picking their brains on kakao ID: myseoulsecret

also a nice reddit read:

another option is to read through the threads here and get familiar (kcouture, ms orange, gats, have wrote good stuff), but using pf info for ps is kind of like using craigslist for dating. if ur a newbie, tread lightly.

I heard of an apparently very premium agency that helps foreigners get the best doctors at the best clinics and they charge the same price as the clinic would. My friend used them and said they are very exclusive and don't even have a website. Only people who email them and say they were recommended get to use their service.

I didn't use one but there are some clinics that already have English coordinators that can help, that's to say, I've realized that they don't negotiate on your behalf in terms of surgery slots, and pricing but overall they are not bad. If you need someone (agency) that goes with you to different clinics and negotiates with you then I remember seeing Guide Seoul something on one of the chats I was in.

My friend also used a concierge service recently. Apparently, they are not an agency so they did not charge more than clinics for the proceedure. But she only had to pay their interpreters who were very knowledgeable and had a lot of experiences with ps clinics. She was very satisfied.

I got my primary augmentation rhino at Regen with Dr.Lee few months ago, paid around $4.8k. I also proceeded DES twice (not at Regen) and still not satisfied with my result, so got consultation on revision DES with Dr.Lee too and was quoted somewhere around $3.9k (+revision epicanthoplasty), planning to come back in March. Also thinking about two-jaw with Dr.Myung June Oh but maybe a bit later. Hope it helps!

I went with DocfinderKorea for my first surgery in SK about 4 years ago ‘cause I was a noob and felt more assured having someone who could speak KR. I know how y’all feel about middlemen but DFK was actually pretty decent.

The quotation from DFK was the same I got direct from the clinics. Yes, I had my fair share of doubts so I emailed the respective clinics separately. Shin (DFK) fetched me to/fro the airport-hotel-clinic, which was super useful because my hotel was quite far from the clinic then. Shin also offered to take me to the supermarket (which I politely declined), helped me negotiate a better price with the consultant and he even paid for my meds (antibiotics and such) from the clinic’s pharmacy after my surgery. All these cost $0 to me.

It did cross my mind how they earn huh? But since it was not out of my pocket, I didn’t really care, and assumed the clinic just paid them a referral fee. It’s just like looking for a job in SG and you go through a recruitment agency, the company will pay the agency a fee, and it doesn’t affect the salary you’re getting every month.

For my subsequent PS, I didn’t go through any middleman anymore and liaise directly with the clinics ‘cause I now know what to expect. Most clinics have English and Mandarin translators anyway so there really isn’t a need to go through a 3rd party once you’re more familiar with the scene. Good luck!

Yeah. That's one way to go... but you have to remember that the in-house interpreters are biased and are expected to close the deal by the clinics. It does cost a little more to hire a personal interpreter but there are some benefits of having someone who doesn't get commisions from the clinics themselves. A little objectivity couild be crucial when it comes something as important as this.

I think we are hardwired to be skeptical of any middlemen or financial consultant for the matter. We could also be biased in that sense, especially if you haven’t used one before. I do agree that we have to choose a good one.

I’m speaking from my own experience of using DFK, so I can’t comment on the rest out there. It’s $0 like I’ve shared, so it’s not really true you have to shell out money for a personal interpreter. During the course of negotiation with the clinic, I was quick to accept a price the Clinic threw at me, it was Shin (DFK) who stopped me and told me it was still high and hinted at me to negotiate further. Throughout the whole time, I felt he was on my side.

Tbh, there was a slight complication after my primary surgery because my skin was too thin and the edges of the ear cartilage was showing through my skin. No fault of the doc. I just needed a simple revision by placing a product, alloderm, over the cartilage. Shin was the one who helped spoke to the clinic about the revision, provided the service of ferrying me around again, this time definitely no commission since the revision was free, but just as committed.

I can safely say most of us used in-house interpreters without a hitch. Also like I’ve mentioned earlier, if it’s the first time you’re going for PS in SK, go ahead to find an agency/concierge or what not if that made you comfortable. Subsequently, you’ll be more sensitive to the price and procedures having done a lot of research, and able to discern what the in-house interpreters are telling you. Not to mention, a lot of docs actually understand and know how to speak English. Or at least, mine did.

It sounds like you had a really good experience with Doc Finder Korea. Too bad that isn't always the case... the doctors in Seoul do speak some English but a lots of times they act as if they understood what you're trying to communicate with them even if they didn't. I think it's a pride thing. The problem is that its usually too late by the time you do find out. I don't recommand going with an agency since they do have a conflict of interest, but having an experienced person there to be on your side could make all the difference.