BeautyHacker

Lawsuit in death of HK woman from January 2020 filed

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/husband-sue-south-korean-plastic-140950149.html

The clinic was Ollim Plastic Surgery according to the article but I can't find references to this clinic? Doctor's name is Kim Sung-il and he is pictured in the article.

According to the article no anaesthetists were present. SMH. Her family is loaded so they will not succumb to pressure tactics we usually see from clinics against victims that speak out.

Hopefully this lawsuit will lead to new rules that protect the safety of all patients in the future.

Thank you @Gats for sharing this article. Sounds like she was getting lipo fat harvesting for breast fat transfer. Eerily the same anaesthesia I was offered for breast FT at Fresh, iv propofol, ketamine and midazolam administered by the doctor himself and not an anaesthetist and with no anaesthetist. I cancelled my op 10 minutes before going into theatre.

I guess that is why some clinics now advertise in house anaesthetists like Namu having 2 anaesthetists! The article suggests only 1 in 10 plastic surgeons in korea are board certified. It can be a minefield in korea with its 500+ clinics. If it is a large hospital, one risks getting a shadow doctor or a junior doctor gaining experience and if too small, one risks having nurses administer iv sedation or the operating doctor himself with no anaesthetist on site.

@MissOrange, the article mentions they should have put her through "pre-surgery testing for possible allergic reactions to anaesthetic drugs." Do you know if this is something that is commonly done beforehand for surgeries involving anesthesia? I'm curious if other countries require such testing or if it's an optional thing that's left up to the doctor. I would be willing to get such tests done separately if they don't do it and pay for it myself as this is not something I'd want to be left to discover while I'm on the operating room table.

i was wondering, they didnt mention about anesthesia during your consultation at all??

I've been under GA 4 times and haven't gotten any tests done at all. Not in Sweden or SK.

I got those tests too, didn't think about the fact that blood tests show possible allergic reactions to anaesthetic drugs though.

Hi @Gats, as far as I am aware there is no such thing as pre-surgery testing for possible allergic reactions to anaesthetic drugs. One takes a past surgical history to ask if one has had general or IV anaesthesia before or any drug allergies but one is never ‘tested’ for allergies to propofol, midazolam or ketamine. Maybe the husband meant she did not get any pre-op tests, like blood tests for anaemia, electrolytes or ECG? As she was only 35 and not getting general anaesthesia maybe that is why she had no pre testing? Or maybe she had already been tested when she had her facelift a week prior?