BeautyHacker

UNFAIR PRICE INCREASES (even with covid-19 crisis) - opinions needed!

*I am from the US planning to go to Korea*
Most people are familiar that clinics have price increases yearly on procedures.
I was planning for some plastic surgery by the end of this year, but due to unemployment with this current pandemic, I would rather wait until next year, so I'd have much more saved up. Also, it is very irresponsible for ANYONE to be traveling around this year now unless needed.

SO, I contacted the clinics (2) I have had f2f consultations with (Nov. 2019) and wanted to see their view on this. They have said that they are "unsure" if they can hold the same prices for next year.

Isn't it a bit shocking that clinics aren't extending quotes for another year with everything going on? I find it a little unfair that these clinics can't have a better proposal to this unavoidable situation... sigh

It is definitely disgusting. I feel this pandemic has really been bringing out the best and worst in people. Perhaps these clinics will end up losing a lot of clients for a long time as coronavirus becomes crazier, and they'll be forced to have quite low prices for a good while. Wishing you luck!

After the virus is all over and customers return, I think there will be so much pent up demand the clinics will be very busy and they'll raise prices unfortunately. They must be really desperate for customers now though so I imagine anyone getting work done now can negotiate really low prices.

I am in a similar situation: I am from the US too and planned to go to Korea to get laser eye surgery this summer, but I don't think I will be able to anymore.

That being said, I do not think it would be shocking or unfair if clinics raised their prices. Of course, I would prefer to be offered the same quote as the one I personally received in December 2019, but if I don't get to get the procedure done until 2021 and the price rose before then, I wouldn't be upset. It's just how supply, demand, and inflation works.

Also, I think it's worth considering that the Korean people who work in these clinics are being affected by unemployment as well. As customers, I think we often forget that the people on the other side of the register are human beings too, but if you put yourself in their shoes, I think you'd find that what they're doing is just what they have to do. Making any kind of guarantee right now is horrible because no-one can predict the future. Imagine for a second that, after the pandemic, you returned to your job, suddenly had an influx of work because of demand, and all of your coworkers/competitors got raises when you didn't. Or, perhaps even there's less work because there's less demand - either way, you would want more money, so it only makes sense that the clinics would too.

In any case, I hope that whatever happens, you stay safe and wish you all the best.

Personally I think that even if they don't plan to increase their prices, no business would promise that they will keep their price the same for sure in the future. I work in a totally different field but our quotations always say that the price is valid for a short amount of time only.

A couple years ago when there was a different coronavirus, they lowered prices to get people back in. And that was nothing like this.

COVID-19 has affected the entire world in such a way that it's going to take a few years to get back to normal. Who is going to be able to afford their raised prices? Especially on elective surgery? A bunch of people who just lost their jobs and are worried about losing their homes? Most people are going to be flying in from other countries and taking a week or more off from work. Everything is going to be dirt cheap; flights, hotels and surgery. If they want to build things back up, they have no choice.

guys, if you encounter Korean clinics that overcharge you, act as if you have plenty of options and make sure you look like you're not desperate to do the surgery in their clinic(even if you are actually desperate lol). when I tried this trick last year they all acted cool at first. but then they all got desperate and frantically lowered their prices :P

I agree with @eurasianbeauty that even after this pandemic is over, it will take at least a year for everything to go back to normal, and that's optimistic. the economies of export-dependent countries like Korea will be especially hit hard due to the nature of this crisis. every foreigner who is planning to do their surgery in the near future should take advantage of the lower prices. make sure you don't overpay, because all clinics that still overcharge in the time of covid-19 are out of touch and deserve to be ignored.

Yesss! This "method" has helped me out so much over the years. A+