BeautyHacker

Foreigners in Korea and Holding Clinics Responsible

It's a lot harder to sue for damages as a foreigner living outside of Korea if something goes wrong. Those of you who aren't from Korea, are you worried the doctors might not take your surgery as seriously knowing there isn't as much recourse if something goes wrong? And if something does go wrong, the difficulty in collecting damages means you take on more risk as a patient.

Does this worry you?

Yes of course it does. There’s a lot of botched surgeries on here to learn from. It might be best to stay in your own country where you can follow up easily with the doctor if something goes wrong. A flight to Korea is expensive. Plus it seems like the doctors like Dr. Oh from Regen from the other post doesn’t talk to the patients after just talks through their assistants.
I think it also depends on the type of surgery

No it doesn’t seem trustworthy. I’m not going to South Korea for plastic surgery. There’s a lot of great PS in America.
South Korea has ghost doctors and doctors who don’t talk to the patient after surgery. They seem very greedy to lock in the date for the price and giving promotions for discounts. If you take the discount is it going to be the real doctor or the ghost doctor ?
It looks like plastic surgeons are doing jaw surgery. In amercia it’s an oromaxillofacial surgeon not a plastic surgeon.
Also I don’t want to look like every Korean girl. Double eyelid, v shape and pointy chin and no cheekbones.
are you taking the risk

Probably. America has fantastic plastic surgeons for lots of procedures, but doctors in America don't do double jaw very frequently. They might perform the surgery once a month. But there are doctors in Korea who specialize in it, and perform the surgery ever day. Ghost doctors are scary, but don't seem to be a problem outside of very large clinics. The two places that interest me the most right now, EU Dental and The Face Dental just don't employ any other surgeons to switch out with. The Face Dental employs one oromaxillofacial surgeon and EU Dental employs two, both with similar quality work.

I guess another problem for me is just that it's so difficult to find high quality reviews online in english for Korean clinics. I can hardly tell if the online review someone has for restaurant is going to applicable to me, much less if someone's review of plastic surgery applies.

Definitely...
I even went to the Gangnam Medical Tourism website and checked all the clinics listed on the website there before I realised that it doesn't "guarantee" anything in a medical dispute. To be honest, I'm terrified of a botched job more than on recovering monetary damages. I guess that's why trusting the surgeon's skill and experience is so important.

I totally understand this. Since plastic surgery is such a sensitive topic, not many people are willing to put their faces online and give real reviews. When I did my nose job in 2015, I was so scared right before and even after, I refused to give B&As to anyone online. And yet real B&As are probably the most helpful thing, especially seeing other people with similar facial features.

I'm also looking at TFD and EU now for FC procedures! If you want we can always chat more.

In my country, unless I die or my health is severely damaged in someway, there wouldn't be much I can do about being botched anyway; so I'm not really worried about that. The most I can do is maybe get some of my money back? I'd rather trust that an experienced doctor in the kingdom of plastic surgery can deliver a good result for me than going to a doctor in my country only because it's easier for me to get my money back if things go wrong... :smile: But this is just my country. If you live in US there might be more to consider.

Did you end up having your procedure done?
I had mine done in NOWME last year was good
did consultation at EU and TFD as well

Hi Phfitan! Not yet, I have been stuck at home due to COVID-19 lockdown... I'm hoping to make it to Korea by this year, and also considering forking out for local surgeons.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i also need an information from you, can i get your KKT? Thankyou

I'm also considering PS in Korea but only because they specialize in Asian noses. I live in California but all the surgeons that I've seen that specialize in Asian noses have a lot of bad reviews on this site as well, so I'm hesitant to go to them.