BeautyHacker

Real Regrettable VLine with Dr. Oh at Regen

PLEASE READ MY POST ON REALSELF.COM. I have re-pasted my review of Dr. Oh here and I will post everywhere I can. I hope by some chance, I will be able to prevent another disaster by Dr. Oh at Regen. He refuses to speak to international patients after they've left the country. Now I know why!
https://www.realself.com/review/line-surgery-real-regrettable-story-v-line-dr

REAL REGRETTABLE Story of V-Line with Dr. Oh
  • 4 Nov 2019
  • 1 year post

I am a 49 yr old Korean woman living in the US.
Fairly attractive, with no medical history of bad or unexpected side effects from any previous cosmetic proceedure.
I had Vline surgery with Dr. Oh in summer of 2018 when I was 47 yrs old. Traveled back to Dr. Oh in Nov 2018 (4 months post-op for botox to my chin/neck area).
It is now November 4, 2019 that I am writing this (1yr 4 months post op)
I have waited too long to write this but I was giving Dr. Oh many many chances to respond to me directly. Out of frustration and a warning to all patients who seek Dr. Oh for Vline - please, please be informed of my honest and disappointing review. Trust me, I did not want to write this but I don't want anyone to ever be in my situation again. It is not worth it. Not at all. Maybe, not at this age post 45 yrs. I wonder how many women experienced what I did? If you did and are reading this, please post your experience as well. Other women need to read a truly realistic and unpaid for review from a normal woman who was once attractive, but not a model, not in the business of photo beauty.
Back in 2018, after seeing the amazing Youtube vids of Dr. Oh and Regen, I felt so excited and compelled to go to him for Vline. I fell in love with the before and afters. His previous cases were amazing transformations. I thought I'd be priviledged to be his patient. I had some fullness in my jawline and weight in my cheeks. Not at all wide or very full, but as vain as I get, I wanted a more slim jaw profile and slimmer cheeks of the lower face.
I made an appointment over the tele and told them I was coming from the US. They sent me so much communication via Kakaotalk with pics, infomercials, ads, etc. They had communicated with me a lot with many many texts, back and forth. I wired a deposit and just waited for my pre-op, which was scheduled for 1 day prior to surgery. I told them I wanted Vline. I sent them about 2 selfies via kakaotalk.
The day prior to surgery, Dr. Oh spent enough time with me, I thought. He was patient, mild demeanor and touched my face/jawline a little. He felt the fat beneath my chin and around my face. He said he would cut my jawline here/there and I agreed. He and I both agreed that he wouldn't touch my chin, which I loved. My chin was perfect in it's projection and was a part of my face that I loved.
He then told me a story of one of his patients who was around my age when she had the same surgery. He continued to say that this particular female patient had a much longer recovery and that she experienced prolonged "numbness" in her chin area for many many years. He then asked me if I would be alright if I had prolonged to permanent numbness to my chin area. I thought about his story and asked how common that adverse effect was. He said she was VERY rare in her outcome of prolonged numbness and it wasn't common at all. He assured me that I probably wouldn't experience that since most all of his patients didn't experience that. Maybe most a year. But then he asked me again how I felt if that happened to me. I said that I didn't mind if I had prolonged numbness. I was ok if I didn't have feeling in that lower chin area for a prolonged to permanent time.
I asked him if it would reduce my fullness in my cheeks and then he proceeded to say that it would narrow my jawline when my face was "static" but if I smiled, not necessarily would be narrow. I thought this was strange to say. I asked him if he would take out any fat or muscle during the surgery. He said no. The surgery would only slim my face when I was expressionless but not slimming when I smiled, etc.
He then took considerable hesitation when he kept inserting the idea that I would probably need botox after surgery...perhaps 3 rounds of botox in my chin/jaw area. The nurse in the room said she didn't foresee me needing botox. He continued to say he felt I probably would due to some "bunching" of the strong muscles in my chin. I had no idea what he was talking about since he sort of said it under his breath. But I told him ok. If I needed botox, no problem.
Dr. OH never remotely mentioned : incredible tightness, pulling, enlargement/elongation of chin, crooked smile, daily headaches, etc.
I was scheduled to do surgery the next morning.
Surgery prep was fine. Service was fine by all attending. Dr. Oh made no marks on my face that I remember. I told the anesthesiologist that I did have a history of incredible nausea post surgery. After surgery, I woke up very nauseous in a tiny, older, dirty room. It was a single room just enough to fit my twin bed, a closet and chair. I had just small tape on my face, that's all. The anesthesiologist came in and gave me something for my nausea. The pain was incredible and they wouldn't give me any pain medicine that alleviated the severity of my pain. Btw, I have a very high pain threshhold. They advised me to spit gently in a cup to keep beside my bed. I also had napkins to wipe the dripping bloody fluid from my mouth. They advised me to keep spitting/dripping the bloody fluid frequently. I went back to sleep. The nurses never came by my room to check in on my condition. I could see them through my door, just sitting at a desk looking down at their cellphones the entire night. YUP, the entire night!! Never once did they come into my room.
Next morning, I got up (not really slept the entire night) from the bed and rolled myself to the nurses desk. I asked them for ice and they said that I should get it myself from the freezer/refrigerator. They said I should use the face ice pack all the time. When I asked them why they didn't tell me the day before, after surgery, after getting to the room, they said I should have known?! WTF?? I was pissed. I was confused and disappointed in the facility, in the nursing service. I had no idea how that would be reflective of what would come from Regen service next. I realized then, after seeing the "behind the surface" facility for recovery and lack of service that it was a completely false facade what you may see on their front office. I will explain...
Dr. Oh came in to check on me. I told him the terrible nursing service that I received. He confirmed that others had also complained of the same and that it was something accountable of Regen but not his particular dedicated staff. Why would I know the difference. Dr. Oh/Regen - weren't they responsible for the entire care and facilities??
I went back to my rental and put ice packs religiously. I did my constant mouth opening exercises. The swelling was great and nothing at all in the vids, girls posts, etc. I swelled a lot. I couldn't imagine how all the girls on video and youtube and real self were posting amazing pics after 2 weeks, 3 months, etc. I had a very visible bruise on my lower rightside jawline.
After about 2 weeks, my interior stiches came off. I was on the same floor as my recovery night for my stitches removal and some kind of UV massage. The stitches were removed from a girl who was eating her lunch and was very reluctant to leave her chair and cellphone. After waiting an hour (watching her from the room I was in), she finally came over with an assistant to remove my stitches. The ridiculous UV massage to my face was about 10 minutes total by another girl in an unkept room. I felt like the recovery and post op room was dirty, unkept, terrible attention from staff. I felt like i was in a third world clinic in the basement. Not at all what their front desk looks like. Perhaps, this is Korea plastic surgery? All modern in the front desk area and dirty, terrible service post op, after you've already paid for everything? This was my experience at Regen.
Maybe other plastic surgery centers are and look different. I'm sorry but I can't comment other than Regen facility and Regen service. I regret I didn’t take pictures or video of their recovery floor and the girls (nurses?) glued to their cellphones.
On follow-up 2 weeks post, I saw my pics upon request and noticed that he had shaved down my chin bone. When I felt that my chin was now flat and long, I asked him directly if he had shaven my chin when he had promised and we agreed he wouldn't touch my chin. He admitted he decided to shave my beautiful chin flat. I hate that look in korean women! Ughhhh.... I love the curvature and elegance of a chin that comes out a little. Ughhhh!!!
After I came back to the US, my recovery was long and frustrating. I had constant (24/7) pulling and tightness in my chin area. I felt that my chin was long and flat and when I smiled, my cheeks seemed to have gotten fuller/fatter and more forward on my face!! Ughhhhhh!! exactly the opposite of my purpose of the surgery. I had chipmunk cheeks. Everyone said that they thought I had gained some weight in my face, ughhhhh. Then my jawline was completely gone! YUP, no more curvature or angle to my jawline but a straight line from my earlobe to my chin. My rightside even had an indentation and inward curvature at one portion. It looked completely unnatural and looked like a really bad butcher job to my jawline. So, I hid from my friends for over a year now and counting. Yup, i was so ashamed of what I had done.
I also had daily headaches which I started taking over the counter meds. Then I tried prescription migraine meds which didn’t help at all. As I am writing this, I still have throbbing headaches. They are located behind my head, lower right underneath the slope, very tender to the touch and throbbing. I can imagine this is unbelievable but, yes, DAILY headaches and continual tightness and pulling in my chin area underneath my lower lips.
I am very sorry for disheartening anyone right now. Understand that writing this is more than I can feel comfortable doing. I am only writing this so no one will ever go through what I did. It's not worth it. It's not worth it. Not at least if you're over 45 yrs? I don't know.
I contacted Regen and they just kept telling me to wait and have patience. They sent me some pics after my request, of where to place the botox, concentration/dilution, quantity via pic so I could take to a local doctor to do the botox. After some consideration, I took all of my savings and work vacation time to go back to Dr. Oh in Korea for a 5 minute botox. I felt he would know how to do the botox and perhaps an American doctor unfamiliar with the extensive jaw cutting that korean docs do, I wasn't confident to go to a US doctor.
When I went to see Dr. Oh for my botox, he wouldn't even look at me when I entered the room. He didn't address any of my concerns and just said the botox would help and that I MUST get botox every 3 months for 3 rounds. I had the nurse take a video of his botoxing so that I could take to a doctor in the US to follow up with future botox treaments. After I left his office and came back to the US, about 10 days later, I completely lost any movement in my lower lips and chin area! My smile was worse, unnatural, unmoving, paralyzed and I looked ridiculous! I wrote to them to request a 5 min conversation with Dr. Oh directly about my results from the botox and the surgery in general. They refused to let me talk to him and continued to say to be patient.
Regen (responds to my emails without a name, but only “Regen”) continued to tell me that it was too difficult to arrange a phone call with Dr. Oh because in the past, they tried once with another patient, and it was too difficult to arrange a proper time because suddenly, something would interrupt him to see another patient. They had to rearrange several times for one call so now, as a policy, Dr. Oh won’t do ANY follow-up calls, not even 1 minute with any patients live over the tele. They said they would forward the questions to him and he would respond through them (unidentified person responding to the patient emails). Really?
So if he’s getting the messages, why wouldn’t he respond directly to the emails himself and sign his own name versus an unidentified person responding to Regen general emails? Absolutely unprofessional and a coward to take accountability to his own patients. Hiding behind a generic/company name “Regen” responding to emails is too funny and immature. In the US, doctors don’t respond that way. Doctors either respond directly or they speak live to their patients, no matter how busy they are. Maybe Korean doctors are run like a business. Get them in, talk to them, until you get the money, do surgery, don’t respond to any post op concerns/questions, then no more communications.
Some questions which I’d like answered with some specificity, which were never answered except, “time will make it better”. That is not a reasonable nor proper answer to the following. Perhaps another plastic surgeon can help me find some answers to my repeated questions:
1. why did you cut into my chin when I told you and we agreed that you would not touch my chin AT ALL?
2. why did my smile completely change and my lower lip unmovable post botox treatment of the chin, when you said that it would not change my smile or speaking at all? Was that a bad botox injection (dosing/concentration, placement, etc.) but i should further get botox with another doctor? Is that the trade-off (unnatural smile but no more pulling) with all botox treatments to that area, or it shouldn't happen again with a more competent botox doctor?
3. why did you want me to do botox anyways?? would the multiple treatment of botox (3 total treatments) help the longness of the chin permanently to be back to normal? or does a patient have to do botox forever, to reduce the length of the long flat chin result from this surgery type?
4. can the tightness and pulling of my chin muscles actually be a permanant condition (without botox treaments)?
5. why is there an inward indentation along my right jawline? should i do dermal filler like Restylane if "time" will not help the indentation??
6. did you take out any buccal fat during surgery? my cheeks have completely fallen forward and down and now I have "chipmunk" cheeks. should I do buccal fat removal?
7. I have no more elegant and normal jawline (COMPLETELY GONE!). My cheeks and neck are on the same plane/dimension. I have no more jaw definition. How will this improve with time? Be specific. Yes, already lost a lot of weight but there is still no definition of my jaw from my face to my neck.
8. why didn't you EVER mention tightness and pulling during my consultation?? is this an expected outcome (if so, why didn't you mention it at all?) or is this a mistake and unexpected outcome? I WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU DIDN'T MENTION THIS AT ALL DURING CONSULATION - PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION DIRECTLY AND NOT, "time will help, etc. etc.".
9. I showed you several pictures of what I didn't want (long narrow chin, undefined jawline). I showed you several pictures of a slim and DEFINED jawline WITH AN ANGULAR JAWLINE, which I desired. You said that yes, Americans like myself do like an angular jawline. Why did you completely chop off any definition of a jawline if you understood that I desired an angular jawline?
10. Why is my smile completely crooked still? Still pulling down drastically on my right side/corner of mouth. Is this permanant? YOU need to respond to this so I can seek additional medical assistance to solve.
11. Why am I having daily, throbbing headaches in the back lower head area? Was this related to jaw surgery or the tightness pulling in my chiin/jawline area? Do I also have to do botox to my neck in the back to relieve my headaches which began immediately after my surgery, about 2 weeks post surgery?
I hope some Doctor online can help me answer some of these questions because Dr.Oh refuses to answer me directly on any of them.
If ANYONE IS CONSIDERING V-LINE AFTER THE AGE OF 45, Perhaps I would suggest getting a consultation for mandibular botox and/or some buccal fat removal first in the US before getting your entire jaw bone cut off in Korea?? PLEASE THINK HARDER ABOUT THE SURGERY. Also, if you’re an international patient, please consider the post surgery treatment or lack thereof, for any complications or questions never answered.
If you are an international patient, Dr. Oh will NOT speak or write to you directly EVER). You will also not ever get a direct answer to any of your questions except, "wait and be patient" versus answering any questions with specificity. None, just wait. Terrible reassurance. Really? Would make patients feel a little relief if you could entertain spending 5 minutes over the phone after they’ve spend tens of thousands of dollars with 2 international visits.

What's mind boogling is why do people still go to this doctor who has a habit of doing what he wants during surgery and running off with it. He seems to enjoy this sick habit of his and find pleasure in ruining women's lives. At the same time why does he still have his license? If I were you I'll file a claim on CFA and share your story on as much forum as possible to warn others so he can't ruin people's faces.

Yes this is so true. Is the cfa a Korean medical board ?
he should be reported
Everyone needs to avoid Dr. Oh from Regen

No it means conditional fee agreement. Most medical negligence lawyers can take a no win no fee agreement and file a claim. If no agreement is reached you can take the offender to court. Although, most claims settle before going to court.

These are real reviews from his past patients. No one is making this up. Dr. Oh is horrible and does things to his patients without their consent so they should get a refund

Hello! :smile: Sad to read such a story about a surgeon whom you are very thankful to. I had some doubts when first came to Regen because Doc Oh was a bit rough with me for the first time but my daughter who found Doc Oh insisted that he’s the best in his expertise, so I just trusted her and truly speaking didn’t regret a single day about my decision. Once I saw my results from two-jaw I had no doubts about getting the same amazing result after my second surgery I was planning to undergo. And I was right :smile: So, all I wanted to tell here, I’m quite satisfied with Doc Oh work

Please show us your before and after if you are really a patient of his.
he is the worst surgeon ever and refuses to talk to us after the surgery.
he sawed my jaw off without My consent

Show your b/a

I remember i did my consultation with him for a simple chin implant. During consultation he basically mentioned so many procedures that i didnt need. He wanted me to shave my jaw, genioplasty instead of implant, trying to scare me that implant will change my bones overtime. Luckily i did my research and was firm with thing i wanted and did not want.
My heart aches for u :sad: hope u r okay...

Yes he even wanted to do zygoma reduction for me. He is money hungry
I am severely depressed And my face is deformed

Hello I’m sorry to ask but can you share some pics ?
I and my friend really considered this clinic.....