BeautyHacker

Rhinoplasty before or after potential double jaw surgery in Korea?

I am Western and i am not sure whether i am supposed to post this under "plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures" or "Asian plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures" but since I'm thinking about getting my double jaw surgery done in Korea I've decided to post here.

I know that double jaw surgery makes your nose a little bit more flat and more "upturned" and i wouldn't mind this at all except for the fact that i had to undergo a septorhinoplasty last year and my surgeon made my nose waaay too upturned. It doesn't look comical or anything like that but it almost does. My tip is also droopy and my surgeon didn't fix it. And i know that your nose usually becomes upturned for a couple of months/weeks after rhinoplasty and goes down after that but i got mine 10 months ago and it's gone down already. The surgeon just made it too upturned.

If my nose becomes even 2 or 3 mm more upturned it'll really end up looking terrible. I know that i can get a rhinoplasty after the surgery but i don't want to wait ca. 6 months after the surgery to do that. I really won't be able to look at myself in the mirror, the swelling and the terrible recovery from jaw surgery is enough for me to go through mentally. My nose as it is right now is way too projected and upturned and i wanted to get another rhinoplasty in order to fix these problems anyways.

I still have some septum deviation and my nose is still quite asymmetrical. My surgeon didn't botch my nose or anything like that because it's a million times easier for me to breathe now but he definitely could've done a better job. If i were to get another septorhinoplasty to fix the projection of my nose (which will help make my nasal profile become straighter as opposed to super concave), make the tip less upturned and droopy i wouldn't mind my nose getting a bit tilted after my double jaw surgery. I really don't mind the fact that my nose is upturned now, it's just that the tip is super projected so it looks unnatural and way too upturned.

But at the same time I'm scared about the symmetry of my nose. I am thinking about having a consultation with Dr. Lee at The Face Dental and he seems to be able to fix asymmetry so i want to improve some of my facial symmetry too (not just my jaw symmetry) and I'm scared that after the surgery my nose will end up looking less symmetrical (since my upper jaw isn't symmetrical right now and when the surgeon moves it i believe your nose is also moved a little bit) and that I'd need to get another rhinoplasty. I've heard some people say that their septum deviation slightly came back after their double jaw surgery and that's the last thing i need. My septum and nasal symmetry were really bad to begin with because i had fractured my nose as a kid and it didn't heal correctly.

Unfortunately no one performs rhinoplasty at TFD and although i haven't had a consultation yet Dr. Lee is my first choice for potential surgeon because he is a maxillofacial surgeon that only performs genioplasty and orthognatic surgery and performs 2 surgeries a day (usually double jaw). His results seem really, really natural and amazing and reviews from double jaw at The Face Dental seem really great. Foreigners like that clinic a lot and the price seems perfect too.

I've already found a really good rhinoplasty doc that specializes in fixing noses exactly like mine but given my case I'm wondering whether getting a nose job before or after the jaw surgery would be the better decision. I will obviously get a consultation with both of the surgeons but i would like to know some of your opinions first. Has any one of you gotten both? Or both at the same time? I really have no idea what choice to make and who to contact first.

Should i just get my DJS + genioplasty in a different clinic that also performs septorhinoplasty? It would be ideal but once again i want to make sure that i am choosing the best doctors and Dr. Lee + the rhinoplasty doctor that i found seem perfect for my case. Plus i don't know whether I'd trust an Asian clinic for my nose because the beauty standards in Korea are much different and I've seen plenty of results from Korean clinics on Western noses and i don't like them. They end up looking too "soft" and overall these types of noses fit Asian faces much better. I have depression and looking at myself in the mirror for the first months/weeks after jaw surgery will be hard for me, a nose change given the state of my nose right now would really break me down mentally.

Some people might suggest for me to not undergo these procedures at all given my mental state but my still deviated septum and my improper jaw positioning make my breathing terrible, i have TMJ, sleep apnea and i really need these surgeries. I am also a singer and it limits my range tremendously because i don't breathe properly. My maxilla, jaw and chin are also very reccesed. I have to wear braces for a year and a half before the surgery anyways so it'd be nice to get the nose job during that time period as opposed to waiting a really long time to get my DJS after putting my braces on and then waiting months for my face to recover in order to get a rhinoplasty too but I'm scared of potentially needing a 3rd nose job after the DJS and genioplasty,

It’s great that your asking! This is how excellent experiences are gained :smile: Also it’s fine to post here despite differing ethnicities, wherever is resourceful is good, really. So, for precision’s sake, I wouldn’t recommend the surgeries together as swelling is immediate and details can be missed with a rhino on top of a swollen upper jaw (or jaw surgery on top of mega swollen nasal area). On top of that, these are both major invasive surgeries and the swelling would be grotesque for a very long time. I have experienced depression myself, looking in the mirror and all especially after my rhino when I looked crazy and wasn’t happy at all, so I do warn against even more temporary but long term depression if there’s 2x the amount of wackiness going on after 2 procedures together. Since a nose change would break you down more at this point like you said, I think it’s even better to leave it be and deal with another area until you’re more balanced out. A big change like a change in jaw structure + a changed nose too on top of that right away would be a lot for anyone to take in, really.

I also elaborated on another thread about how the features can end up not complimenting each other if done at once: https://beautyhacker.com/forums/topic/1024719-please-share-any-advice-about-zygoma-reduction/page-2#post-33728870

Further, there are tons of similar threads about this here that I think would be really insightful for you to check out with all the varied responses :smile:

Also, imo you found an excellent jaw doc and I don’t think you should sacrifice that just for the sake of dealing with recovery all at once. Recovery is temporary, but surgery carries permanence.

Overall, I’m not saying that multiple surgeries together don’t work out, because they definitely do at times and it’s great! But it’s also a lot riskier. Also, the reason why noses are upturned for a long time is because the rhino surgeons purposely stitch up the nose a few mm above where a normal nose is, because all noses eventually drop after rhino and so they have to switch higher for it to end up at a normal spot. Since yours is still upturned, the surgeon went a little too far with that, clearly. Just really point out for your next rhino how you don’t want to increase any upturn angle at all (on top of whatever else you want, of course). I can link you a video of a surgeon explaining and showing how and why noses are upturned during surgery (but it’s graphic).

Best of luck! I’m not *against* doing multiple surgeries at once (and I’m sure you’ll find responses of people actually preferring that) but I just warn against some risks. Do lots of research and read up until you feel confident in whichever direction you decide to go. Sending you love!