BeautyHacker

asian nose job 2

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, i'll be heading to taiwan at the end of the year for revisional rhinoplasty. I'm torn between using own rib and donated rib too. Taiwan has just gain approval to use irradiated donated rib recently.

Dr Kao (Taipei) told me both is ok but still recommend using our own rib. Dr Hsu (Kaohsiung) also stated in his blog that using our own stuff is always better.

So I was thinking since Professor Kridel has recently submitted the research paper on the advantageof using donated rib in nov 2009 and Taiwan has just gained approval, perhaps the doctors are still a little conservative?

I'll probably be the pioneer batch if I choose donated rib since the doctor seems to lean towards using own rib at this moment.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19917899

I hope you guys can give some advice, thanks!

^
Check out Dr. Jung's website http://korea.nose.co.kr/english/main/main.asp

There is a lot of good information about using homologous versus autologous rib cartilage (just do a search for "rib" under Q&A).

After reading all of this, I am more torn. My problem is that I have a long oval face with a short nose, so it looks really off balanced. I need my nose lengthened and my tip projected. I'm assuming that I'll need rib cartilage because Dr. Kao recommended it, but I've never received a consultation from any doctors in Korea. They might have another option for me. I realize that there is no such thing as the "perfect material", but I just want something sustainable and permanent.

Thanks for the link, Izora.
I've read Dr Jung's Q&A for rib already. Seems Korea is really much advanced than Taiwan. He has started to do donated rib in 2007 or much earlier.

He stated that donated rib is safe but difficult to predict the absorption rate (30-100%), urhh.. so much?

Angelfern,
Yes, it seems like Korea is more advanced than Taiwan, but it costs so much more. Dr. Kao seems to be a great doctor, but he always recommends rib for all of his patients. I've seen pictures of his work, and they are quite impressive.

The absorption rate is what makes me hesitant to go for donated rib or even my own rib. It would be a shame to pay all that money, undergo surgery to remove rib cartilage, and go through a tough recovery for something that may or may not be permanent. As much as I would prefer my own tissue, perhaps gortex would be better for me. We just need to weigh out the pros and the cons.

Can anyone recommend doctors in Korea who are skilled and experienced with gortex?

Jamasian,
Was goretex even an option for you at Banobagi? I absolutely love your results! Unfortunately my results will be limited due to my short nose and columella.

Hmm... If someone had to chose between donated and self rib cartilage, why would someone pick self rib cartilage if they have to undergo longer surgery, possible scaring with additional incision on chest, etc.??

Are there any serious cons to donated rib cartilage??

Great, u guys can help me to make up my mind.

To me, since the research paper shows that donated rib is as good as self rib, i'll just treat it as a better implant material, if touch wood, there's anything wrong, it's easier to remove unlike goretex.

The price for using self rib & donated rib is about the same, Self rib needs GA & one night hospital stay, whereas donated can be under sedation, no need to stay in hospital but as the donated rib is very costly so the price for either option is similar.

I'm keen to use donated rib as i don't have to sacrifice a part of my rib, scarring on the chest, undergo 6-7 hrs of GA & have a tube inserted at the urethra.

Even though doctors said that there's no serious repercussions in the future during old age, we'll never know what will happen if we fall down etc. Who's going to bear the consequences except ourselves? Most importantly, it's irreversible after part of the rib is cut & removed.

It's just that, i've read that using self rib is better as it's compatible to our body. Medical science is advancing everyday, should I trust the conclusion from Professor Kridel's report that donated rib is as good as self rib? Then I don't have to go through additional pain and be in constant worry about my missing rib.

I believe every part of our bones plays a part so i'm rather reluctant to forcefully remove part of the rib just for the sake of vanity. So if there's a better alternative, i'll rather take it.