BeautyHacker

Asian Nose Job 3

Ok I think I'm just freaking out at the options. Thanks K and muppets for the advice!

I know I won't be able to truly make a decision until I go for consultations. I guess I should really trust my feeling with the attentiveness of the doctor when I see them. I will be writing detailed notes about my experience here when it happens (late April)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gambatte! :smile: I'll try to update on how the nose heals so if anything bad happens you guys will hear about it- I really regret not posting any review on Pitangui earlier because it might have helped others.

After years of reading this forum, researching, and trying to convince my parents, they have finally agreed to allow me to get a rhinoplasty. I think my rather flat, wide nose and the unflattering flare of my nostrils throw off the balance of my face, which is small and thin. I dislike how having a 'button nose' connotates cuteness, which interferes with the maturity and confidence I would like to project. I hope to get it done at the beginning of summer break, in early May, so I have 4 months to heal before school is back in session. After deciding that I would rather have natural instead of synthetic implants, I have narrowed my choices to Banobagi and VIP, from whom I am currently waiting for replies. I do have some beginning Q's though:

1. Is this too late in advance if I want to do May?

2. I have read about the risks of warping and resorption, but there is some dispute about how prevalent these complications are. Once you are past a certain point (i.e. 1 yr post-op), is it safe to assume that those issues are very unlikely to arise? I live in the U.S. and am in school, so having to fly back to Korea to undergo more stressful procedures is a huge fear of mine

3. This sounds silly, but at least for email/phone consultations, what do those involve? In my email I asked some questions about safety, details about the procedure & healing, etc. But it seems like you also get an onsite consultation if one chooses to fly out to Korea.

That's it for now, and I am excited to finally be a part of this forum!

if yours is a virgin nose, do it through closed rhinoplasty and use the ultra soft silicone implant. That's actual name of the material. Avoid getting cartilage grafts. Its too invasive in my opinion and much more complications to consider. You also do not need to worry about resorption. Cartilage grafts are better of used in revisions where there is damage to the structure of your nose or other complications.

Im not sure what you mean when you say "it seems like you also get an onsite consultation if one chooses to fly out to Koreä". Either way you definitely need and will be getting a face to face consultation with the surgeon. Trust your instincts and the moment you feel uncomfortable move on to another clinic. I recall my first surgery i was very uneasy but i told myself to just put my concerns aside and get it over with. i wish now that i had walked away and waited till i have more knowledge of the procedures and could better select a suitable surgeon.

Anyways, Hope everything goes well!

Yep, I will definitely be getting a face-to-face consultation! There are some topics, especially what results I am specifically requesting, that is much better conveyed in person.

I am sorry to hear about your first procedure, K Couture! I will definitely keep that in mind, and will continue my research for the next several months. About the synthetic implants though; the rib rhinoplasty is definitely more invasive, with daunting complications. However, I am also wary of having to get revisions in the future with artificial implants, that is if my implant is not first rejected by my body. Even now, though I am more partial to rib, the debate about the pros and cons continues in my mind for good reason. Hopefully the clinics get back to me some time soon and I can ask some further questions.

with the silicone, if you use a the ultra soft I shaped implant (dont use L shape) risk is much lower. In the past when L shaped implant was used it was common for infection and inflamation because the bottom part of the nose is much more sensitive and cannot handle the pressure and projection from the L shape. Also asian skin is thicker than caucasian skin so the implant is more easily accepted by asians. Part of the reason why i advise against rib on your first rhino is because its not only invasive, the shape is hard to get as perfect as an artificial implant. Too thick or getting a hook nose is a possibility. And if you use the diced cartilage, cartilage bumps being visible is also another possibility, which is what i have experienced. There are some people who have good results from cartilage grafts tho, but I find usually its people who do not undergo too high an augmentation.

I'm confused.

So if my nose is untouched /virgin, soft silicone is preferred? What if the surgeon is known for rib cart. like (vip) ? Will the surgeon correct me on what I thought wouldve been best (rib cartilage),or suggest me silicone , or would he just milk my wallet for all its worst?

Omg I don't know now.

no no. its not like that.

The thing is every surgeon will sell you their speciality. Whatever method they prefer they will most likely recommend it to you. For example surgeons who are more used to using goretex or have a special deal with the supplier will try to convince you to use goretex, saying that its been used for many years so it has proven success. This is true but you also need to question them on the side effects of goretex, which is their difficulty in removal due to the material soft tissue grows into the pores of the goretex. VIP will tend to recommend you rib cartilage and their sell point is that its better for you because its from your body. If you ask them about the complications to do with irregularity of the shape they will say it depends on the surgeon but Dr Lee is skilled enough to make it look good." I actually asked Dr Lee that exact question and his response is carefully worded. He said that he has been doing this for x amount of years and carefully shapes the cartilage before implanting it. In response to that I have spoken to forumers who have had a rhinoplasty with him using rib. Its a 50/50 I find. Some liked the nose while others experienced irregularities to the shape, which can potentially happen with cartilage. If you do a search on the forums you will also find 2 girls who were dissatisfied with their surgery at vip. One mentions her nose turned out hooked shape while the other mentions that hers had a hollowness on one side of the nose bridge and had a bad experience when she went back to dr lee to complain. These two cases are known side effects of the cartilage graft. So while there are definitely good results from this procedure you should bear in mind of the potential complications. I have used diced ear cartilage for my nose before and I ended up with a bumpy nose. My next revision in May will be using the soft silicone.

Basically all surgeons will want to milk your wallet lol. It depends to what degree. I mean if a surgeon is asking u to do a certain procedure and tells u how amazing it is, do not do it until you get a second or third opinion. I still recommend the soft silicone if yours is a virgin nose because it has good shape and is easily removed should anything go for god forbid. Being artificial risk of infection is higher than using cartilage but this does not happen often. In fact i know so many people who use silicone and none have ever had infections. It used to occur more often back when the L shaped was used. But this was more due to the lower part of your nose being far less accepting of the pressure and stress from the projection. Which is why nowadays silicone plus septum or ear cartilage for the tip is used.

Im planning for rhinoplasty revision
Many clinics recommended the same to me which is to reimplant soft silicone l shape, with narsal septum or ear cartilage at the tip. Most of the clinics suggested open rhinoplasty eventhough I still prefer close. They say I will have more promising result. Currently im a bit confused with diced cartilage. is it my narsal septum or ear cartilage to be cut into a dice shape to place on the top of my tip? I understand that goretex is not good if you need future revision. Rib is harder to control shape and can have shape distortion plus 2 operation marks on your bodym how about "graft"? What is it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Any suggestion or comment?

Thank you

Ps. For those with virgin noses. I myself had silicone L shape implanted for 6 years and I have no problem with infection. Also all the doctors I went for revision did not find it hard to replace my nose. So I personally say silicone is not a bad idea : )

Hi K couture,

Are you going in May for Korea? I'm leaving on May6, hoping you will be around that time. First time for me, any suggestions for logging?

yeah i will be there in May. Don't know when in May tho. I stayed at the ritz carlton. Very close to all the clinics...but i still taxi because i was lazy haha. If you just going for consultation just use airbnb to be honest. cheaper too. Find somewhere near gangnam and then get taxi. Taxi is cheap in korea (compared to australia).

If you going to get surgery tho i would not stay at airbnb. Better stay at a good hotel. Room service helps alot when ure recovering in another country. Least when i did surgery in australia i could harrass my friends to bring me food haha but in another country if you dont know alot of people its better to harrass the hotel staff lol.

So this came up during the online consultation: I can schedule an onsite consultation date for May, but if I also want to be able to have my procedure after my consultation, I should reserve a surgery time right now. I'm confused, since I have not yet had the chance to meet the staff and my surgeon in person, let alone choose which clinic to go to?

Oh and K Coutre, on the subject of hotels: if one does get surgery, you said it's better to stay at a good hotel. What are some pros and cons of selecting your own hotel, versus the accommodations that the clinic offers? i.e. Was there a reason you chose to stay at the Ritz Carlton versus the clinic's lodging, or was it because it wasn't offered by the clinic you went to?

yeah don't reserve a surgery time unless you can do it without putting a deposit down. If they do ask you to put a deposit its a trap because they will say its either non refundable and partially refundable. So you either lose the money or you get forced to go with a clinic you do not want.

Best is to schedule face to face consultation with the surgeon and not the consultant, do this at several clinics for 2nd third 4th opinions etc, shortlist them, do more research, fly back, make your decision, prepare yourself mentally (and physically if you need to) then schedule a surgery date.

If you feel you have to do it while at your consultation, alot of the bigger clinics will have more availability soon as opposed to clinics with only one surgeon. Tho I would always go with a particular surgeon and not with a clinic if you know what i mean. As in, if i cannot get the surgeon i want at the clinic then i will move on.

With the hotel, that really depends. The hotels that the clinic offers usually have a special B2B agreement so you get a better price. Service does not depend on the clinic but what hotel it is. For example, a friend of mine visited Oz clinic and stayed at the Yang Dong hotel because OZ offers discounted rates if you book a room through them. Also offers pick up service from the hotel which alot of clinics do too from their partnered hotel. However according to my friend Yang Dong is a very foul hotel that is old and has no room service. I think when recovering we want a nice place to relax with great service, especially if you are getting multiple procedures at the same time.

I chose the Ritz because of its proximity to the clinics and the hotel services. Basically one call to the front desk and i can get whatever i want. Another option is to hire a nurse to stay over with you at a place you book on airbnb. Although accomodation might be cheaper using this method, I don''t know how much private nurses cost in Seoul. In LA my nurse cost me 180 usd a night? I imagine it might be a bit cheaper in seoul? May be worth while to look into it and decide accordingly to budget constraints.

I also think there's a holiday inn in gangnam if im not wrong. That would be a reliable place to stay without forking out 5 star prices in Korea.