BeautyHacker

Asian Nose Job 3

actually i would argue against the US and Japan at having better skilled plastic surgeons. When it comes to cosmetic medicine you will find that Seoul is in fact ahead of the US and Japan. One reason is the sheer size of the korean cosmetic medicine industry. Another reason when it comes to having a higher ratio of skilled surgeons has got to do with practice. South Korean surgeons on average perform far more surgery than the American and Japanese surgeons do because plastic surgery is more widespreaded and accepted in Seoul. I actually just spoke to some friends in tokyo about japanese attitudes towards plastic surgery. It is by no means as prevalent as that of the South Koreans. You do not hear much about plastic surgery in Japan because not only is it not considered mainstream, it is also not widely accepted so those who do go under the knife are more secretive about it.

I would also argue against your statement that korean surgeons only have one aesthetic standard. It is true that while within asian culture, a small face, fair skin, big eyes and high projected nose is the ideal, these aspects of beauty are also not one dimensional. There are varying degrees to this aesthetic standard. Outcomes differ according to the surgeon, the patient's original structure, the patient's desires conveyed to the surgeon and the method used. In May when i had my surgery I found that my surgeon tends to be more conservative and leans towards the natural look. If i wanted a very drastic change all i needed to do was to convey my wants accordingly. Likewise, there were other pureblog members who had their procedures at different clinics who ended up with a different type of nose than i had. Still their results were good but it was just aesthetically different.

I personally did not realize how advanced South Korea's medical technology was until I spoke to my surgeon in melbourne. Before he encouraged me to consider Seoul, I had just assumed it was a meat market type industry like Thailand. But when the 2008 president of the ISAPS tells you that the surgeons in Seoul would be better skilled than himself at performing a complicated revision rhino, I take his advice very seriously. And another reason I believe why asians, even those who live in US, are now deciding to get their surgery in Seoul is because techniques for Asian plastic surgery are more advanced than they are in the US, where techniques for Caucasians are the mainstream.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think US , japan or s.korea is nothing wrong at all because it's their choice and taste. I won't say s.korea is best for PS but I just have trust in them more.

First, I don't have negative views for US but I just don't like their comment through Asian plastic surgery. You can find a lot of topic that they have negative thinking or think that Asian r mentally stupid that want to look beautiful by doing facial contouring, double jaw, nose or any other surgeries etc. they make a joke out of what we dream to have so for me, personally US cross out...

For Japan, I have heard they are good in PS but not a lot of people talking about that and I only see a bomb of PS thread about Korea and I totally love the result myself. I personally have no interest in PS in japan :sad:
More importantly this thread is for S.korea PS, so we focus only in Korean PS.
You can try to look for PS in Japan info in another thread and it might be helpful.

I dunno about other taste, but wherever we do PS, no matter US, japan or Korea or Thailand, people against it will call us " Plastic ". So as long as we love the result, no matter where i did it, it doesn't matter.

Plastic still plastic even best doctor on earth try to make it look so natural, there's always people who know about it.
:/ that's d saddest things about PS

I think you are still swelling. The frustrating part about rhino is the swelling in the tip area esp if you had quite a bulbous nose to begin with. Hang in there!

Thanks for speaking about your experience. It's the first negative I've seen from a former patient of his. May I ask what the other surgeons said was done poorly? May I also ask who you went with in Taiwan? Are you happy with the results? I felt discouraged after not hearing from them and searched elsewhere. I had been considering Taiwan, but without speaking Chinese I'm not able to locate other procedures I hope to get done.

I would much prefer oval, more narrowed nostrils. Ones I saw on his site are hard to describe. Almost heart or cloverish shaped with 3 rounded points. I wanted to link an example, but darn site won't work for me again. I'll defintely paste an example when I can, since I don't want to give people a complex about their results! I know what it's like to worry after surgery. I had horrible comments from my family and had to live with poor results.

The reason I considered Dr. Wang was hearing patients say on here they wished they went to him first. I'd love for this to be the final "fix" and have many regrets going with my last surgeon. I received a response from their office, but my enthusiasm has waned. Still no price quote.

Here is why I am completely done with US plastic surgeons. Perhaps things are different now (I'd hope so), but I've had enough. I've had implants placed without much thought for tip work. They don't know how to deal with thicker skinned Asians other than call it a challenge. Therefore, making you believe nothing can be done about it. You'd think the US is better, but when it comes to noses they are more used to doing reductions. Cheekbone/jaw reductions are probably only done after traumatic accidents. Rarely seen it mentioned on US sites. I've spent thousands trying to improve my skin using peels and lasers. I now have permanent redness throughout my face without my initial issue addressed. I'd prefer Korea where dermatology is not only much less expensive, they'd understand both my skin tone and texture better. I see procedures and options on their sites I don't see in the US. I went to a doctor who was supposed to be the best for rhinoplasty and only performed on noses. There were miraculous results reconstructing cocaine noses. I thought I couldn't go wrong with the head professor who understood noses well. My mistake was not asking to see examples on Asian noses. In the US, they are careful not to "erase ethnic features" and believe eyelid surgery "westernizes" them. It's ridculous, since many Asians go for revisions if noses or eyelid creases are too high. They often talk you out of what you want and give you what they think you should have. I prefer a doctor that will give me what I'd like and not change their mind the morning of surgery, like I've had done. We agreed upon a certain height, when I reminded him he said I wouldn't want to look "Jewish" so he decided half shorter.

If you look across the board for various ethnicities the most attractive follow a basic principle or ratio, which Korean surgeons understand. Plastic surgeons in the US are supposed to be in the market of beauty. It's ridiculous to leave you unhappy for fear you're erasing your ethnicity. There is often no recourse for bad work in the US, many surgeons force you to agree to arbitration before surgery. There is also a long process before new devices or injectibles are accepted. Europe and elsewhere often have many more years experience using them.

I haven't heard much about Japanese clinics other than one mentioned here. Maybe it's all in Japanese, I haven't tried harder to look but the Korean sites are often translated so it's very helpful to Americans seeking a better solution. The Chinese doctors mentioned on this site have spent years in the US and/or Korea. They aren't so new in their training. I'd love to know more about doctors in: Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia if anyone knows more but when I look I don't see before & after photos. It's not about being cheap, because many here have tried and know the pain of bad results. We don't want to risk that again! It's about us wanting the best outcome and willing to travel anywhere to find talent. After my experiences, I'm happy to take my business elsewhere.

Ideally u should go for dual board certified plastic surgeon (ie. One that has ps AND one other specialty certification) who also possesess an ARTISTIC talent. Good strategy - does he or she have TONNES of b.a photos that U like? There are really good ones in states, korea, japan and Thailand. Personally i'd goto states as I do believe SAFETY comes first. Or even australia, canada. But if aesthetics came first i'd goto korea or japan. Thailand if I'm short of cash. Not sure re s.pore or taiwan. Forget china or malaysia. Period.

I've had numerous consultations in the States and a few in Canada and I noticed that both countries prefer safety and practicality over aesthetics. So function over looks- pretty much.

Also, they repeatedly kept saying that it was important to keep the integrity of ones ethnicity and structure when considering plastic surgery but, I don't completely agree with this. The more "skilled" or versed surgeons I went to in the States and Canada never mentioned such things and their work shows for itself. It's also a good idea to always ask for their portfolio B&A's- they will gladly pull them up from their desktops or from a binder/portfolio if they are confident. (Asian rhinoplasty is considered to be one of the most difficult surgeries.)

With that said, I feel that the States and Canada will gear towards how a successful nose job will slightly change your overall nose but still keep your original nose intact. Typically, with this, I notice nothing different with the before and afters- only subtle and very minor details.

I'm not going for this look and hell, if I'm paying to fix something, it better look different. This is one of the main reasons why I want to get my nose done in Korea. They can give you that subtle look, a refined look, to even a whole new and different look. I prefer choices.

Obviously, they have pioneered many advances with the 'Asian nose job' and they cater to the masses that want their services as opposed to other countries. It's the whole experience factor and Korea definitely has it.

For example, I decided getting breast implants in the States since American doctors have a lot of patients demanding for the procedure as opposed to Korea. Not saying that Korea doesn't do good boob jobs but, it's a fairly new procedure that patients are asking for. Also, for personal reasons: friend got her breasts done at TLPS and I didn't think they looked too nice- very round and generic in my opinion with no attention to the nipple area. Another got hers done in Korea as well, and it was the same look. Not my thing.

It's all about the specialties of each surgeon and what they can offer you- so, I think that all countries and particular skilled surgeons are to be sought after with no discrimination on which country is better.

If you don't mind, could you shoot me your B&A's? I've wanted to see an actual person that's gotten a nose job with him since I've heard rumors that he manipulates his B&A's on the site.

Thanks, babe xoxo

Sorry. I am not comfortable sharing them and i don't think it will help you for that purpose. I don't think he photoshops them. At least the last time i checked his website some time back. During my stay there, most of the patients looked really different pre and post op. They looked "mixed". They called it in Mandarin "ou shi bi". There used to be this notice board where they put the before and after of the patients in that week in the waiting area, it wasn't hard to take a peek. I will be succint here, ain't gonna do a long posting.

Had my primary rib rhino in Taiwan before i saw him. Wasn't satisfied, did not give me that "pulled" out effect i wanted, the tip drooped slightly after a year. I saw the pictures on Wang's website, he might be able to give me what I wanted.
Saw him, he took out a 2nd rib, and now i have 2 ribs stacked on top of each other and he did pre-maxilla augmentation. He was patient, nice, spent 1 hour on consultation, did photoshop, no patients waiting. (in the old days)

I would just mention the technical problems
1. Did not secure the 2 cartilage properly causing them to slide over each other, nose was crooked immediately after surgery, he asked me to push it everyday (as if it would help)
2. Premaxilla augmentation affected my smile, what he did was place a piece of cartilage underneath the premaxilla periosteum
3. The base of the nose where he constructed the strut, it was too big, it narrowed the nostrils more, he could have shaved some off some of it easily

I looked really different post-op. I got the effect I wanted with the crooked nose + the nostrils became triangular shaped and asymmetrical (because of the crooked nose, and pre-existing nostril asymmetry was more prominent due to significant tip projection). So my side view looks better but front view was a lot worse.

My thoughts. If you are a "normal" case, then i think there shouldn't be much problems and if you don't mind those long narrowed caucasian type nostrils. I don't know what he does for premaxilla augmentation nowadays but it shouldn't be done that way. I don't know how much his technique has improved these past 3 to 4 years. But i do think technique wise there are better surgeons out there.

My Taiwan trip. Maybe another post, another day. 1 of the surgeons i consulted noticed the tip has this funny shadow in addition to the things i mentioned, I couldn't see it. You can PM me if you want more details.

i received an email from dr wang. he said that they have trouble accessing their gmail account because google is censored in china.

maybe if you try one of the other emails listed on his 'contact us' page, you will receive replies quicker.

I agree, it's not just medicine. It takes a lot of repetition and is an art. If it's a nose you want built up, it should be someone used to constructing them rather than breaking bones. I liked the way my former surgeon formed noses where the lower portion either caved in or didn't exist. He balanced features well, but his focus seemed to be on giving people their former noses. I want anything but that! He possesses skills to provide a great nose on anyone, but has preconceived notions of what each ethnicity should appear like. It seems that happens more with doctors in the US.

I have a difficult time finding photos in many of the above mentioned Asian countries other than Korea. I'd love to see Thai and other doctors' results using rib. I'm getting the impression Thailand does more using implants and on body work. My main concern not wanting to go to Asia was pain management. I never considered going to China or traveling anywhere for surgery before, but results for before & afters broke down those barriers.

Safety should be a given, though I know it sometimes isn't and shortcuts are taken. Surgery in the US doesn't automatically make it safer. Surgeons and facilities should still be inspected. I'm irked by before & afters where I can't see a difference! That's why I'm having a difficult time finding a proper surgeon.

It was wise of you to get breast augmentation in the US. They do many of these and I agree, Korea and other Asian countries do more on faces. They don't worry about erasing ethnicity by giving larger breasts! They also don't worry someone wanting a smaller nose is trying to be Asian. The whole thing is ridiculous. I have seen a number of doctors and been turned away by one. Asian noses are challenging to American doctors.

It would make life easier to go to Korea. I can even speak a bit of it. A one stop shop for everything I need. It would be great to have one downtime and combine procedures. However, rarely can I find someone who's work I like for rhinoplasty do well in other things as well. I often see some noses I like and others way too subtle. Did they get sloppy or was it another surgeon? Can you request a specific surgeon who did do work you liked? Seems there are many doctors working at the same clinics in Korea. It also appears to be getting pricey.

I had my nose lifted and it looked way short. I was told to wait for the tip to "drop" unfortunately it never did. I really appreciate what you shared, since I hoped for the same. Been asking if doctors add more rib cartilage on top or remove the prior. Hadn't considered they wouldn't stay put or together. Something I liked about Dr. Wang, people do say he's friendly and takes his time with you. Rarely have I spent more than 10-15 during a consult, whether they were busy or not. I have read about him instructing people to pull on their noses. I wouldn't think that'd help too.

I'm assuming pre-maxilla augmentation is to project the base with implant? I had that done with Gore-tex. I know people are interested in it, personally I hated it. I was told my upper lip was "too big" (not the actual lip but area between lip and nose). My implant was oversized as well and within a couple months pierced through the inside of my nose. It had to be removed. I'm not sure if it was the removal or alar stitched unevenly, but I've had asymmetry. The doctor used to twist my nose aggressively during follow ups to correct it, but refused a revision saying nothing was wrong. I've also had sloppy cartilage work on the bottom. I can feel this sharp bit on the inner part of my nostril. If I rub my nose and accidentally catch it, really hurts.

You were very patient to wait 5 years for a revision. People often want to get it redone within months. I don't like when clinics only show side view on noses. Yes they all make it so straight, but I don't talk to people with my profile. Focus should be on the front. I'm interested in going to Kaoshiung, but my apprehension is I could see scars on alar work and that's something I'm hoping to address. To erase a scar there.

Hi Kain,

Did you like the work at VIP? I hadn't heard of rib being used for premaxillary area too. Do you like the results and does it feel like part of you? I didn't like the feeling of a Goretex implant there. Had been a short time before it had to be removed, but the constant feeling. I also hated having the inside of my mouth cut into. I'd get curious about it and feel with the tip of my tongue, then cringe at the scars there. Mine was a waste and wish I'd never done it.