BeautyHacker

Asian Nose Job 3

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone in this forum for all the help thus far! This is by far the best place to research drs. I had a quick question about nose bridge using soft silicone or Cartilage. At the end of the day here are the options:

Silicone
Pro: Cost effective and defined shape
Con: Chance of infection or protrusion and high chance it'll have to be replaced when you get older (10 years)

Cartilage
Pro: Low chance of rejection, therefore no replacement is required
Con: Very costly, shape is not pre-defined so there's a chance of morphing and re-absorption

Since these are the only two options, it seems that when you decide for a nose job, there's a very likely chance that you'll need a revision. If this the case, if you really don't need one, should you get it? This isn't a one and done procedure, once you get it once you'll eventually have to go back and have to re-done.

5k-8k every 10 years adds up quick! Am I missing something? Wouldn't it be best to wait for a new procedure/technology to develop to ensure your implant lasts alot longer than 10 years.

Thanks

You bring up really excellent points and I hope people take your post into consideration when getting surgery.

Are you talking about rib or septal cartilage?

The most common complication of rib cartilage is warping. If you're young or the surgeon is careless/ not skilled with handling rib, then you're going to get higher chances of warping.

There is also a risk of extrusion and infection, it's lower than artificial materials but it's still there.

Rib is a lot more expensive, invasive, longer recovery time and it takes longer to see final results. If you require rib revision, you're going to have less rib to work with and it's more difficult to remove than silicone.

If you go to South Korea, there are very few options for doctors experienced in rib because silicone is overwhelming popular. I was sold on rib a few months ago until I realised that my only choices (as an english speaker) in Korea was VIP (who charges through the roof) or Shimmian (lots of bad reviews).

Silicone has a greater chance of the scary complications though. I think I've looked at too many gross pictures of extruded silicone implants ._.

Right now I'm considering fat graft, a minimal 2mm silicone implant or just forgoing bridge augmentation altogether.

Its tough to find who to trust in terms of which type of implant is best for the nose. If I were a Korean doctor, I wouldn't even mind if that silicone implants require revision because it means more money for me. My guess is that its why most doctors don't specialize in cartilage nose jobs. At the end of the day, its just a business. I'm from America and look at a website known as realself.com. Alot of doctors say silicone is bad due to infection etc and that cartilage is best. However, there is one doctor who says silicone, if place well, works best with Asian noses. Here is the topic thread:

http://www.realself.com/question/asian-rhinoplasty-removal-rib-cartilage-silicon-implant-for-brigde

I wish I had a plastic surgery doctor as a friend, who could tell me the truth :S.

Any advice? I am interested in increasing my bridge but if its going to cause all these complications and risks. I'll just hold off and get a chin implant only and wait for a better solution.

You will find that western surgeons prefer the use of cartilage, while over in asia they prefer silicone. The thing about infection rates is, the data applicable does not differentiate between the different forms of silicone. There is more than one type. The types of silicone which are responsible for the high infection rates are the L shape silicone, the hard L shape silicones, the Hard I shape silicones. The silicones they use in seoul these days is called ultra soft which places minimal pressure on your tissues unlike the hard forms. This type of implant is not readily available in the west.

To add, the reason why surgeons in seoul prefer silicone is because asian skin type works very well with silicone. One reason why western surgeons do not like silicone is because their clientell is not premdominantly asian. Caucasians have thinner tissues than asians and therefore silicone may not be as suitable for them. Finally, there is a profound difference between asian and caucasian rhinoplasty. Caucasian rhino tends to include osteo and reductions, whilst asians require augmentation and more significant tiplasty. Hence the varying opinions you find on realself regarding implant use. You must remember different surgeons geographically cater to different demographics

You bring up really great points! I think it's also important to keep in mind that a huge majority of Korean doctors work on raising the nose bridge while a huge majority of American doctors don't, especially compared to Korean doctors. I recall reading that most patients in America get tip plasty as many patients already have a high nose bridge. I think it's a well known fact that cartilage is better than silicone in that it has a lower chance of infection, extruding, etc... so of course silicone wouldn't be recommended over cartilage grafts.

Also, I don't think silicone is/can be used for tip plasty, which is the nose surgery most American doctors perform. They use cartilage for the tip, so I think we can assume they have more knowledge using cartilage than silicone for nose surgeries.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, really! But I definitely recall reading that Asians do tend to have thicker skin which is probably why silicone implants are recommended in Korea? I think it's also easier to take out of the nose if there is a risk/complication, compared to cartilage, which can get absorbed? I don't think Korean doctors use silicone implants to collect more money for possible future complications...it's just better for asian noses. If I were a Korean doctor, I'd want to use the best thing available to keep my reputation.

So, to answer your question, I don't think either American doctors or Korean doctors are lying. Their just sticking with what they know best?

You're doing plenty of research which is great. We know for a fact any surgery, even the 'simplest' has risks/complications, so if you DO end up wanting implants, my advice would be to be prepared. I will say that the down side of waiting for a better solution would be that since it would be new, you wouldn't know what complications the new solution could cause years down the road. So yeah, it's definitely a big thing to consider!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum but have been reading quite a bit about your experiences and advice. I'm headed to Seoul this Dec for a rhinoplasty procedure, and am thinking of settling with TLPS. Can anyone PM me or email me your before and after pics? Also, can anyone compare between TLPS and Banobagi, or lead me to a thread that does this? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

My experience with TLPS so far has been actually quite OK. I've sent in mails for consultation, advice, quote etc, and almost every time they have replied. At one point, I was corresponding to 2 consultants! I initially got a quote of 5.5m KRW for my rhino (raising of bridge with silicone, lengthening the tip with septal cartilage and alar reduction) but managed to negotiate it to 4.2m KRW. :smile:

I have to pay a deposit of USD500 if I want my surgery on the same day as my consultation, and actually I do want to get it done early, because I don't want to be still obviously swollen when I leave Seoul 2 weeks later.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Okay, I think I've finalized a position on this whole nose job decision:

Silicone
Pro: Cost effective and defined shape
Con: Chance of infection or protrusion and high chance it'll have to be replaced when you get older (10 years)

Cartilage
Pro: Low chance of rejection, therefore no replacement is required, if it does produce desired look then its likely going to stay forever.
Con: Very costly, shape is not pre-defined so there's a chance of morphing and re-absorption

Conclusion: I'm not going to use Silicone, as my bridge only requires moderate increase height. I personally believe that you don't require such a dramatic increase than cartilage is best, given the pros and cons. I'd rather risk making an implant last forever and slightly imperfect than perfect but require revision sometime down the road. From what I've been going through before surgery, its already stressful just imagine if you have to go for a revision.

Does anyone know if any good chin implant (gortex) doctors out there? I was going to do it at April31, but does anyone have any other input? I want the best!

What you said about implants is not the full picture. Even for Silicone and Cartilage, there are different types and methods. Suggest you to read Kcouture's bible. There's a whole section about Implant Type # src="smiles/static/smile.gif" class="mceSmilie" alt=":smile:" title="Smile :smile:">

It's my mom. She always has korean tv on all day when she's at home so the house doesn't feel empty. And whenever plastic surgery is mentioned (as it often is) she'll call me up and tell me about it. Lol...
But even if you watch a few variety shows, you're bound to get some hits when it comes to ps. It's a popular topic!

i've always wanted to watch these variety shows but they are never subtitled!