BeautyHacker

Best Plastic Surgery Clinics in Korea -read 1st post before posting.

i like faceline before and after but one review on cozycot mentioned that they screwed up a lot of people's face... am not sure whether it's just malicious accusation because they seems popular in korea now. I will go take a look before deciding...

www.girinlife.com has impressive before n after results for facial contouring too.
same as www.viewclinic.com

Girinlife seems to be a very small clinics as they only have two doctors and one in house anesthesiologist.

View has more doctors ...around 5-6 and one in house anesthesiologist..

I will be in Seoul in two weeks time and have not decided on a translator n which clinics to visit.!!!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

face-line could be popular with koreans but I seldom read reviews on international patients going there.
VIEW seems popular but I'm worried of the prices. cos i read somewhere their prices not that cheap. it will be exp for a small clinic to charge that high.
TLPS not much reviews, website in Korean so not able to read.
Small face seems to give gd results. but price wise, not sure.
need to cut down to 3 clinics if m engaging translator. but now i am leaning to ard 5 clinics. all seems good. hard to choose.

Cosmetic injections- can they cause blindness?

Injecting smile lines and filling cheeks and lips with fat and hyaluronic acid has become so commonplace that some of us consider our twice-yearly visits to the cosmetic doctor as safe as getting a dye job or bikini wax. But a recent review of patient records from South Korea National University's Bundang Hospital found that improper injection of cosmetic fillers—especially fat, but, in a few instances, hyaluronic acid—caused blindness, or partial blindness in one eye, in 12 patients since 2008. True, that's an infinitesimally small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of filler treatments given each year—but still cause for concern.

To understand how this can happen and how it can be avoided, Allure spoke to Sydney R. Coleman, a Manhattan pioneer of fat grafting and a clinical assistant professor of plastic surgery at New York University Langone Medical Center. Patients like the idea of lunch-hour treatments, but when it comes to injections of fillers, says Coleman, a small amount injected slowly is the safest way.

Is this the first you've heard of this blindness problem?
"The FDA issued a warning in 1991 saying blindness was a risk of collagen injections and liquid silicone injections in the face. We know anecdotally that this has happened here in the U.S., but since most cases are unreported, we don't know how prevalent it is. If there is a lawsuit, there is usually a gag order on the involved parties and on the amount of the settlement."

Is blindness one of the possible complications listed on the consent forms patients are required to sign before getting cosmetic injections?
"I always inform patients of this possible complication," says Coleman. But other practitioners who don't, Allure has heard, are now planning on adding it to their consent forms.

Why did blindness happen more with fat than with hyaluronic acid?
"Because fat can be aggregated into a larger drop or bolus than the other semi-solid injectibles such as hyaluronic acid, silicone, Radiesse, Artefill, and Sculptra, or crystallized injectables such as steroids used in nose surgery. If the needle punctures an artery and a line of filler goes in, it can branch out to [smaller] arteries that intersect the arteries of the eye. In most cases of blindness from injections that I have reviewed, this happens most often when sharp needles are used. Injections of filler under the skin are safer with a blunt needle. As another precaution, when I inject fat, I first inject adrenaline to narrow the arteries." (i wonder if i can just ask my doctor to inject adrenaline to narrow the arteries, but im not sure if its the exact place where the fats will be grafted -.-)

What about Botox and other neurotoxins—can they cause blindness?
"No. Botox is not a filler, it is a liquid, and it acts by suppressing nerve action."

Among the 12 patients In the Korean study, in what area of the face were these blindness-causing injections placed?
"Primarily in the frown lines between the eyes, known as the glabellar lines, and in the nasal-labial folds—the smile lines—but it can also occur when filling the cheek, temple, or even the lower lip."

Are there any advance warnings that this is happening?
"There is usually excruciating pain right after the injection. In that case, breathing air into a paper bag or taking Acetazolamide by mouth can cause the arteries to dilate, increasing carbon dioxide levels and reducing intraocular pressure. If these steps are taken immediately, you might get only partial blindness."

Is the blindness reversible? And are both eyes affected?
No, it is permanent and affects just one eye.

How can a patient minimize the risk? After all, she isn't holding the needle.
"Choosing a doctor with experience and knowledge of the anatomy is one's best defense. Casual injectors such as gynecologists, general practitioners, nurses, and doctors with dubious credentials who work out of hotel rooms and hair salons—or any doctor who has just taken a weekend course—are less likely to know the facial anatomy and proper injection technique."

Will I insult the doctor if I ask what kind of needle he or she is using?
"It is perfectly fair to raise this question. But speed is also dangerous. When I teach technique, I tell doctors [to] inject in tiny amounts, slowly, using blunt needles so it's not forced into the eye or the brain. You don't want someone who squirts in a big wad of filler fast."

source: http://www.allure.com/beauty-trends/blogs/daily-beauty-reporter/2012/11/can-cosmetic-injections-cause-blindness.html

where did you read about smallface giving good results? so far i am not seeing any reviews on smallface... plus the fact they dun use screws on cheekbones make me wary...

Faceline i heard the price is expensive..like around 15/16m for vline and zygoma.

view i am definitely sure we can lower down since i have been messaging alot of koreans that went to view and the price is around the same as regen and ID

most doctors nowadays do it twice, the 2nd time for free ( for some clinics such as ID and BK) since fat will absorb cover time, the better technique is to do to it once without injecting a lot of fat which the survival rate will presumably be 50% then the second time 80%-90%,i will try to make my doc to do it for me 3 times yes the fat will probably die but it depends on the person too, id like to think it would last forever, but technology is limited at the moment, who knows? maybe in a few years they'll find some new techniques which are even more long lasting, so we shouldnt give up yet! when are you looking to go back? I am still deciding on the time?

this **** is really scaring me

I am interested by what you said because the doc in migo also totally screwed up my eyes, he injected fat into my upper lid because of the hollowness but a lot of other problems are created after the op its completely messed up and they are ignoring me too

not sure if I sound too extreme, but my friends were shocked when i said i wanted to go for lasik before rhinoplasty because I cant wear glasses and contact lens after the surgery.

Anyhow, do you think having a lasik 2 wks before surgery is kind of risky?

Hey guys,

I'm a student in Toronto and I've been seriously considering going to Korea at the end of the winter semester to do rhino and mini v-line and I'm wondering if there's anybody here considering the same thing. If you are maybe you can shoot me a pm and maybe we can help each other plan and stuff.

I really want to do this and could use a support buddy!

It's not a total fail but it def not what I expected. My lower jaw is a bit narrow and looks wierd plasticky. It dosent match my forehead/upper skull. I am just 3.5 weeks now. My chin is still changing but the length of my face is still the same since day 1. I want to give it 6 weeks before I do B&a's. I can't give a real legit update until than.

I can email you a B&a. If you pm your addy.

Yup! I know what the mandible is. And yes they did push up my mouth 3mm. It's called an impaction. The only way your mouth goes up is to trim the bone. They usually trim right below the nostrils to shorten the face, in my case I had the gummies.

You can YouTube a 2 jaw to see an animated procedure or the real thing.

I've been thinking about getting a 2-jaw (after I'm done with my eyes+nose) because I have an unattractively long philtrum. The 2-jaw surgery just sounds so scary... but I hate how far my mouth is from my nose.

I emailed View and their prices do seem quite pricey ... But I expect I'll be able to bargain down. If they don't, I'm heading to JW haha.

Marir, did you get the prices from your friend yet?
Was she a local hence got the cheaper price?

I came across a review on JW and they seem awesome!

I heard about JW clinic from another forumer here, kikichan, but also on a Korean Naver Cafe (http://cafe.naver.com/feko.cafe). I really liked the English consultant here too, Chung Yumi, and even though I showed up 3 hours late to my consultation (I'm totally jetlagged), they immediately squeezed me in between two surgeries, and I consulted with Dr. Suh. Yumi though that I may be bored, so she kept me company for an hour and half, until I told her I wanted to go somewhere (the BK Guesthouse to meet Eightbelow), and when I came back, she entertained me some more. I really like what they do at JW because you don't consult with the consultants. They help you fill out your paperwork and take you to the rooms and sit in on your consultation, but they don't recommend surgeries to you. Her explanation was that because they are not doctors/surgeons and don't know everything, the consultations are only with the doctor. I really liked this about JW. I also liked that my consultation with Dr. Suh was probably a little over 20 minutes. Dr. Hong's consultation was less than 10 minutes and most of that was talking about his idea of beauty. So... Dr. Suh also only recommended tiplasty with no alarplasty or osteotomy. He said that although alarplasty would be a good choice, it would make my nose prettier, because my face is actually on the wide side, having a narrow nose base would make my face look larger. So in terms of proportions, it would not be the best choice.
So JW quoted me 2.5million KRW for tiplasty

Why I chose JW:
Of course, the price is a huge part of why I chose JW. But there is also the fact that Dr. Suh has worked on ONLY rhinoplasties for 15 years. Dr. Hong is also good, and has done facial contouring and nose for 20 years. But that extreme specialization is one of the things that greatly impressed me. Also, at JW, if you want to do multiple surgeries, you see a different surgeon for each one. For example, when I was considering zygoma, I would have met with Dr. Suh and the facial contouring doctor. They also have an exclusive eye doctor, fat graft doctor, and some other category as well...
JW also does not do any international/overseas marketing, but they have tons of international patients via word of mouth. The day I went in, it was all local Koreans, but when I tried to schedule my surgery on the 12th, there were 4 vietnamese women who had booked surgeries all day and on the 13th and 14th six singaporean women were flying in for surgery...
Lastly, the post op care sounded amazing! They offer shampooings every other day, medicine is included in the price (but not the 10% tax), laser deswelling treatments, and because Yumi felt sorry for me (cause I'm so young and in Seoul by myself doing surgery) she also upgraded me to receive a free limo ride to the airport at the end of my stay. Which is great for me!
Both Dr. Hong and Suh seemed very gentle, earnest, and honest. But Dr. Suh was slightly more kind in his consultation and not as patronizing as Dr. Hong. I mean, I understand I'm a young'un and he knows my Korean is not that great, but I did like Dr. Suh better. The price just hammered the final nail into the coffin.