BeautyHacker

If you lived in 1880...

1880? Not so different...beauty treatments are almost modern:

As part of their “toilet” in the morning ladies of leisure would ensure well plucked eyebrows, perhaps trim their eyelashes, daub castor oil into their eyelids and lashes, and dust rice powder on their noses. On their lips they might apply a clear pomade (beeswax) for a shine and to provide protection from the elements, and some contained dye to discreetly accentuate the lip colour, crushed flowers and carmine (made from the female cochineal insect) being favoured. For a healthy complexion, and to contrast the very pale skin of the privileged class, red beet juice or a carmine dye could be massaged into the cheeks. For bright eyes, a drop of lemon or orange juice in each eye would be used, and was considered a cleansing method. Poisonous belladonna was also dropped into the eyes, creating a luminous glow, but clouding vision. Eye paint (eyeshadow) was popular, red and black, used excessively by “fallen women” but very subtly by respectable ladies (more like eyeliner), who would deny wearing it, and be insulted if anyone ever dared to ask, made of mixed lead tetroxide, mercuric sulphide, cinnabar, vermilion, and secret ingredients. Another choice was to put beeswax on their lashes, then apply any number of black powders, from soot to crushed precious stones.

I'd have crooked teeth (I had braces), with either terrible eyesight or ugly glasses (when were they invented?), terrible acne, and a few gray hairs.

But realistically I'd have died from appendicitis, I had that a few yrs ago. :P

I wouldn't look much different - I wear minimal make-up, glasses, teeth are naturally good/straight. My hair is growing long at the moment. My lengths wouldn't have henna in them I guess...

Realistically I would not have to worry bc either salmonella or (more likely) pneumonia would have killed me at around the age of 16... Maybe I would also be deaf from recurring ear infections as a child. Modern times do have their advantage sometimes.

• 3 weeks later...
I would have died at birth. I was born 7 weeks early and was the first baby in the world to try a new machine (I have no idea what it's called or what it did) that saved my life. Had I miraculously survived I would have lots of gray hair which started at 18, really bad teeth, very hairy all over, and a red greasy face. Oh how lovely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Oh my gosh NO! That would be terrible! This is coming from a person who loves history and old clothing too. Acne, no chin... ick. No thanks. Makeup is my savior 0:smile: