BeautyHacker

Anyone had surgery at JW? Please post your experience here

hello, where do you had your rhinoplasty revision last year? thanks

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im having my surgery in June.. still confused between JW or Shimmian though....

Hi Elizabeth! What surgery will you be having?

I had mine done at Braun -__________- the result was OK but still not what i want. I guess part of it is my fault for not specifying how i like it to be but the doctor basically said already what i wanted! which is more defined tip and smaller nose to match my face but the end result is basically just a more defined tip and my nostrils are still slightly crooked :sad:... Maybe Braun does a good job and my nose is pretty hard for them to make it look nice since my first rhinoplasty the doctor did such a horrible job Q_Q...

ill be having a rhinoplasty surgery :smile: do you have any opinions about clinics or experience or any information that youll be able to share with me? i would really much appreciate it :smile:

I just visited JW on 2/5/2016. I was supposed to get a revision rhinoplasty by Dr Suh. Prior to choosing JW, I've already lurked in this forum for close to a year and finally made my choice.

I had even paid the deposit of USD$500 in advance as I was only planning to stay in Seoul for 7-8 days and Emily, the English speaking consultant that I liased with on kakaotalk told me that 'if you(me) don't have time I'd like to recommend you(me) have secure slot for operation, so you(me)can choose operation date.' I assumed that meant I didn't have to wait for my operation and I can get operated on as soon as I see the Dr?

Anyhows, I paid in advance and was eagerly waiting to see Dr Suh. In my mind I had no qualms securing the appointment with a deposit as I knew adamantly I wanted the natural results he could give. As the appointment date drew nearer, Emily contacted me again and arranged for a driver from the airport. My appointment for consultation with Dr Suh was at 10am. I was expected to touch down in Seoul at 6am.

Emily said I should get to the clinic ASAP as 'you(me) need to come here around 9am as soon as possible your(my) operation time will nbe around 11am!'

Therefore I reached the clinic at about 8.45am. Had a long flight and no sleep as well as no water as I was fasting for my surgery. I was the first to reach the clinic and I was super tired but the clinic got busy, lots of China tourists and locals started streaming in. I finally got to see Dr Suh at 1045.

The doctor was kind however he broke a piece of bad news to me. I wasn't able to do the surgery because the original implant in my nose was slightly infected. Dr Suh said he will have to open up my nose to see if it has been infected and if it was, he could only do a infection control surgery and I can only revise my nose 6 months later. Oh well I had only myself to blame for allowing the previous doctor to screw my nose up. Emily was beside me all the time and even inside the operation theatre. I woke up as Doctor Suh was taping my nose up and he told me he had taken out the infected nose implant.

I was placed on an IV drip and went to the waiting room to rest. I was feeling ok but maybe a little sad that I couldn't do the surgery I wanted. However I'm glad Dr Suh detected the infection now so it wouldn't get any worse. Emily came into the room and gave me water as well as a iced eye mask for deswelling. I was happy with their service and the doctor was great as well however things started to go downhill from here.

I went to the reception to make payment. Before we even knew that my nose implant was infected, Emily told me that I will have to visit the clinic 2 days after the surgery, then 5 days after and lastly a week from today if I had the rhinoplasty. Perhaps I was groggy after the anesthesia, I heard her telling me I will only need to come back 5 days after the surgery instead as this surgery was different from one I initially wanted.

She gave me an appointment at 11am on 6/5/2016 and I left the clinic. I went back to the hotel to rest and when I woke up I decided to shorten my trip. I was supposed to return on 9/5/16 but in my mind I thought since I didn't have to return to the clinic a week after, I might as well cut short my trip and go back home as it was Mothers Day that weekend in Singapore where I'm from. Emily texted me again, changed my appointment to 4pm on 6/5/2016.

It was quite a stupid thing to do on my part. I didn't double check with her whether I needed to return on 9th May before changing my flight. I just didn't think of it. Anyway during the 5 days, no one offered me any deswelling or hairwash treatment that i saw on this forum/blogs. I did ask Emily if I could wash my hair and she replied so late that I went to a salon instead. Maybe it was because my surgery became an implant removal surgery instead of the revision rhinoplasty I initially wanted and therefore the aftercare was not as important?

Anyway fast forward to 6th may, I reached JW at 3.45 for a 4pm appointment. They were busy so no one took notice of me as I sat at the waiting area. I did not see Emily around so I kakaotalked her. There was no reply. At 4pm I approached the consultants at the reception. One of them spoke English. She asked for my name and just 5 seconds later, she told me to come back tomorrow instead. Honestly I was kind of appalled.

What's the point of setting up an appointment with me only to tell me to come again tomorrow? I stayed in Myeongdong and it was quite a distance to the clinic. I had also shortened my trip so i just couldn't. Thinking back, even if I hadn't cut short my trip, there was no reason they could just cancel my appointment as they like and tell me to come back another day. There was no apologies or formalities. She just said she would check again.

Half an hour passed and I was still ignored. I couldn't wait any longer and my boyfriend approached the receptionis/consultant? again, hoping she would understand. She frowned and said she would call the manager. The manager was a guy. He was quick to come and resolved the issue. Immediately I was allowed to see a nurse. He spoke English as well. I kinda caused them inconveniences as I shortened my trip and they had to remove my cast a day early. Dr Suh was kind enough to come and see me again the last time before I leave.

Also I asked them about my tax refund form and the manager told me I had to liase with Emily directly instead which I feel was a little unprofessional. She wasn't there on 6th May and I felt helpless in that clinic where everyone was too busy to resolve
my issues. I feel that it's kinda weird that just because Emily wasn't around, I couldn't get my tax refund. I can't believe anyone else couldn't help me with it. I'll kakaotalk her again after this weekend and see if she can do anything. The manager mentioned she may bank transfer it to me.

In conclusion, I will not go back to JW when I'm ready to get my surgery 6 months later. Perhaps they are really good at what they do, that is why there are too busy to attend to my problem. However I feel that aftercare is quite important with plastic surgery and I would rather go somewhere with staff that can help me with the nitty gritty such as tax refunds, wound cleaning etc. No doubt Dr Suh is really good at what he does, and was helpful enough to see me again to ensure everything was fine before I left but most of the time we are going to be under the care of the consultant instead of the Dr. I feel that choosing a clinic with more caring consultants is a much better idea to avoid any miscommunications such as in my case

Hi,
Did u show him photos of the type of nose that u wanted.

hi conny!
i did surgery w jw last april,but i dunno we can get tax refund,my consultant jenni didnt tell me at all,hw much we will get if we claim for tax refund?and can we still ask them to transfer the tax refund?thx

http://www.medicalkorea.or.kr/notice.do?method=getView&gcd=G1001&cmscd=CM4028&nno=267

I think it only started this year. Also, you might have to choose between either getting a discount from the clinic or the tax refund.

Hi ferra,
how do you find Jenny as a consultant?
I got her too, & don't want any miscommunication problems like c0ny did with emily.

Anyway, what surgeries did you have at JW?
If you'd so kindly will, may I get a look at your before & after shots?
Thank you!

Hi Fera, I think the Korean govt only implemented it for surgeries recently this year.

Hi Jessica, I haven't gotten mine but I guess with as with tax refunds for retail purchases in Korea u should keep the receipt and get it from the tax refund counters at the airport. The manager did tell me it was around 10%.

Thank you! ^^ I did not know u could do this..

Thank you. So you get the receipt and then go to the airport like this?

https://beautifulbuns.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/travel-how-to-do-a-tax-refund-in-korea/