BeautyHacker

korean won or usd?

depends on banks exchange rate that day and everyday is different. might be more worth it to exchange it there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding changing money in Seoul. I know to avoid doing it at the airport (unless it's a very small amount) but I've heard in-order to get the best exchange rates you should do it at the dedicated money changers in Itaewon. I've heard they have better rates than the bank. Anyone have insight on this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
There is an exchange booth run by Woori Bank and IBK, in seoul train station. The subway connects to Seoul Station, which is subway and train station. You can go directly to the airport from this stop and even check in your luggage.

Anyways when I was in seoul this was recommended to me by my korean building manager. I was short of time and I didn't manage to make it there, so I went and exchanged my money in the bank. T.T

I carried Canadian dollars, exchanged $100 in the airport just to last for the first day, then carried the rest of my dollars and exchanged it next day.

"There are two exchange booths run by Woori Bank and IBK, which offer a foreign exchange commission that is one twentieth of that offered by the exchange booths at the airport.

They always offer commission discount promotions to attract more AREX users. For certain currencies, you can get up to a 90% discount on the exchange commission.

Woori Bank Exchange Booth is located on the B2 floor, which you have to find in order to take an AREX train. In particular, the booth is located next to the City Airport Terminal; thus, those who check-in at the City Airport Terminal and many AREX passengers stop by.

IBK Exchange Booth is located on the 2nd Floor, next to the entrance of KORAIL Seoul Station and AREX Seoul Station. Its location is more convenient for passengers transferring from the KTX or Subway Line 1 or 4 to AREX Express Trains bound for Incheon Airport."

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/airportexpress.kr/posts/484019154987458

• 1 month later...
with the exchange rate at the moment, if u are getting an early quote, get it in korean won. U wouldn't want to be given a written quote in USD with the strength of the won atm. I would advise paying by credit card. U get the best exchange rates when paying by credit. Plus it goes into your rewards points too :biggrin:

If you do use credit card, make sure its a card that doesn't charge a transaction fee on top of everything. The transaction can be as high as 3%. :smile: