BeautyHacker

korean won or usd?

Why can't you just bring won over to korea? It's very likely you can scour and shop around Australia for the best exchange rate, then bring won over. When you're over there it's pretty hard to navigate/communicate in English (people hardly speak english there!), and I didn't see any foreign exchange places unless you're in a super tourist-y district

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rate is really bad here. Last month before I went to korea, the rate is 827won per dollar in Australia but when I was in Malaysia couple days later I get 933 won per dollar. I felt so lucky I didn't exchange it in Australia. At the moment, the rate is 833won per dollar.

The thing is I will fly direct to Korea this time so I can either exchange it in Australia or Korea. If I only need a $1000, I don't mind changing it here but $10000 will make a big different.

My friend couldn't even take a single won out! She tried 10+ banks and one actually worked even though it didn't work before... :confused1:

if you want to do it via atm, the only way to withdraw a larger amount is to first call your bank and notify them of a one time increased withdrawal amount. Then you find a atm with MAESTRO or CIRRUS and make sure your card has that function too. Then there won't be any issue. This is a full proof way to withdrawing from atm. Tho i think a better option for the sake of better rates would be using a traveller's cheque or bringing cash.

Friend's card had the cirrus and interac sign and it didn't work, and we don't know why. Tried a buncha banks and went back to the first one again and it worked again. Weird seriously

Before you leave Australia, maybe check around the banks to see which one has good.exchange rate for aud to won. You can call ahead and make sure they have enough won for you to exchange and set a date and time to come in and do the exchange.

For IMT, I found HSBC have the best exchange rates.

If you exchange to US dollars and then to won in Korea, you will lose money twice in the conversion exchange. And it may be quite a sizable amount of money at the end of the day. One or two units here and there could be a couple hundred out of your pocket.

you def get a better rate in KR than in Oz - doesn't matter if you shop around, the rate is always better in KR

i never had a problem with the atm...i had a cirrus/maestro card but also a visa debit card

the number one rule is always to exchange currency in the country of origin. Always much better rates. No matter where i go i never xchange in Australia. I will withdraw some cash for basic use for when i just arrive (taxi, buy a prepaid simcard etc) then go down to the banks or convertor to xchange currency. Whether to exchange in the banks or a money changer really depends on the country i find. In Australia the banks give you an awful rate. But in Canada you actually get a far better rate at RBC bank than the money changers. Credit card always give u the best rates tho...but i understand the surchage for plastic surgery is an issue for some people.

btw guys before we jump to conclusions (like i did) that we need to pay a surcharge with our credit cards, you best call up your clinic to confirm. I was getting a bit antsy over carry wafts of cash or even a traveler's cheque around with me for fear id lose it cos im that careless sometimes. So i rang my clinic and it turns out they do not have a surcharge. yay so im not gonna bother carrying a few ks worth of cash with me since its not really safe, ure credit card gives the best rates and........i get points whenever i use my card lol :biggrin:

Thanks K!

I thought the surcharge everyone is talking about is the 10% tax ur liable to pay for plastic surgery and not a credit card surcharge...tax can be avoided for 'cash jobs'

At any rate if u don't have to pay more for CC then I'll def pay that way...need to just increase CC limit lol

Keep us updated re ur surgery, I'm also highly interested in Dream and super soft silicone :smile:

so i just rang them it turns out the tax at their clinic is unavoidable but they apparently package it together with the surgery so u don't actually end up paying the entire amount of the tax. That's what i was told anyway

• 3 weeks later...