BeautyHacker

korean won or usd?

hi, i have heard about your bad rhino experience with a doctor, can you pls give me the details! really want to talk to you about it.
my email: [email protected]
otherwise give me your email pls :smile:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you bring more than USD10k you have to declare. I bring about USD14k and I also change 1k USD worth of krw...I was ask to go to custom office where my usd was recount. Also I actually had called my bank and credit cards company that im going oversea so I can use its service without any problem.
I use the balance of the money buying LV at the airport.

Hi Avantine,

Thanks for the info. Can you tell us what Myeongdong or Itaewon are? Are they areas in Seoul? or stores?

Itaewon is a district in Seoul. It has many english speakers there because it's a popular area for U.S military personnel stationed in Korea. Myeongdong is a popular shopping district.

Why is everyone saying to bring USD now did I miss something??? You will be losing out by doing more than one conversion, you should try to avoid doing multiple conversions. Just bring your home currency to Korea. Since the US dollar is weak right now wouldn't you be getting less too?

Myeongdong and Itaewon are areas in Seoul. Myeongdong is a shopping area and Itaewon has a lot of foreigners.

qri,
When they said to bring USD to Seoul, I think they prefer it to the members come from the U.S. If you read through thread, you will notice that people strongly suggest to bring your home currency and exchange it in Seoul.

It's also a great (if not the best) option to pay with a credit card that doesn't have a foreign transaction fee. As Kcouture has stated, credit cards have the best conversion rates. A good card like the Chase Sapphire or the Barclay Arrival Plus offers great international protection and intro bonus offers. There's also the obvious risks of carrying a large amount of cash.

Because of these reasons, I am definitely not paying with cash. In regards to the 10% tax, I'm going to negotiate with the clinics, as Vitalic has said, "On the 10% VAT, I found that I was able to pressure my clinics to waive the VAT for me when paying with a card. They'll insist on charging it, but I just said I could only pay with a card and that I could only pay X amount and they accepted that."

I don't know if someone mentioned this, but it's advisable to contact your contact card provider and let them know that your traveling outside the country and the range of $ you'll be charging. I was able to do it online for mine, just in case I decide to pay using the card, but I'm not sure yet. However we decide to pay- cash or credit, I'm assuming that we'll need Korean won for down payment if we decide to have surgery after the consultation? This may be a picky question, but what denomination of won should we ask for when we do the exchange?

• 2 weeks later...
If you are paying by cash, some clinics will call the money changer to come in to change whatever currency you have. Be sure to inquire with the clinic that you are going to. However, I find that the best method (if you do not have a credit card that waives foreign transaction fees) is to just do ATM withdrawal. The exchange rate is way better than what the most competitive money changers here can give you. The only catch is to find an ATM with a high limit per withdrawal (at least $1k) so that you don't keep paying transaction fees for each withdrawal. If anyone know of the name of such bank/ATM, please share. The one I used at ICN airport didn't allow me to withdraw more than 500k KRW....

I just exchanged today. the biggest denom in KRW is $50k. You should ask for that. Otherwise you will be walking with a bag of cash if you are changing a few million bucks KRW. That's really looking for trouble :P

oronic,

Regarding the ATM limit, I'm assuming that you are using your bank's debit card for ATM withdraw, in that case, I would like to remind you that besides the limit the ATM machine has, your own bank that issued the debit card also has its own daily limit, which is usually US$1K-1.5K/day for US banks. So, try not to rely on ATM withdraw for surgery payment if its a big number.