BeautyHacker

Two-Jaw surgery

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where are you considering? I will be there end of this month until Feb

sorry for the late reply. I'm considering GNG Hospital and Grand. Grand is kind of mixed feelings cause their reviews are always sooo inconsistent, but I figured I'd check them out anyway. I'm leaning more towards GNG tho since my friend just got her nose there like a week ago and the results are straight up on point. but we shall see :biggrin:

there was another person on one of these forums mentioning that her balckfriend did surgery at GNG for orthognathic surgery to correct her mouth protrustion, if that helps.

They're new. just opened up and doing mass marketing. not sure if they're good, just completely new

i think i read that too on one of the pages. how did it turn out??

• 6 months later...
Hi Everyone. Just wanted to post my experience with Dr. Hsieh in Taiwan. The clinic does know I am posting this and they gave me a good faith discount. However that was almost 1 year ago, So this is my honest experience. 9 days out of 10 I love my results. 1 day out of 10 I wish he had been more aggressive with osteotomy, but he has very low rates of nerve damage and blood loss and I think that is why. (also I didn't ask him to do severe osteotomy, for professional reasons my appearance could not change too much)
I did more reading online and found a few mentions of Dr. Hsieh. I heard nothing but positive things about the clinic. When I contacted him by email, I could sense his professionalism, talent, and thoroughness. The clinic coordinator Juliana, Dr. Hsieh and myself were in contact for almost 2 years by email, checking in about the cost, the recovery time (which was an issue for me as I had only 1 break in my schooling), and the safety and planning. He was able to provide me with a rough plan for my surgery after having seen my photos. I was able to have some time to save money. Looking back, I am shocked and grateful that they continued to correspond with me about the surgery even when at times it did not seem like I would ever come. They took the time to consult with me, just out of professionalism and kindness.

Finally the time for my trip arrived. I was doing this alone- no one would be going with me to take care of me. We coordinated the appointment day ahead of time, I spent the money I had saved on a bare bones airline ticket and hostel accommodations (Airbnb ftw!), and off I went on my big trip. Because I also wanted an implant placed, my time in Taiwan would be 1 month (need time to design and print it). If well coordinated, I have heard that patients have stayed much shorter. However, because of my careful personality I wanted to have time to recover before boarding a plane alone (tiring journey).
I had a few days before my appointment with Dr. Hsieh and I got my bearings of the neighborhood. I stayed very close to the clinic for strategic reasons, and the area is so nice. On one side was the bustling, commercial MRT Main Station Taipei, on the other a beautiful scenic memorial park and hundreds of food stalls. I ate my fill of delicious (solid) food. I recommend egg pancake and fried chicken, and nothing beats the convenience stores in Taiwan.

On the day of my appointment I walked into the very modern and clean clinic called “Charm Clinic” where Dr. Hsieh owns and operates. The first thing he did was take photos of my face from various angles. He prefers to do this himself for consistency (this is about the time that I began to get an idea of how meticulous a doctor I am dealing with). He has a great personality and laughs, listens, etc. Unlike many other surgeons, from the start he was incredibly personable, great listener and I was frankly very impressed with him as a doctor overall. In the consultation room Dr. Hsieh pulled up the pictures he had just taken on an enormous monitor. First we looked at the pictures and he asked me what I would like changed. Then he very tactfully pointed out some things that he saw as opportunities to improve. Some, such as my large chin, were obvious to me. But he took it a step further and told me that my lips could have much more support and I could have something called “incisor show”. I had some asymmetry which he also discussed fixing. Note this was all in the same surgery- he was not trying to shill extra procedures, it was all stuff we had discussed via email. Afterward Juli and I met about the pricing and payment, and logistics- again all very professional. Even though everyone had already gone to a considerable amount of trouble, I still felt I was given room to decide what to do.

On the day of surgery II met the anesthesiologist and nurse who would take care of me post op. They explained what I would feel like when I woke up, that I would have a foley and tubes in my mouth. They took my vitals and EKG, made some small talk, started an IV, and the rest was all a dream.

When I woke up, I had tubes coming out of my mouth and I was lying down. (In some places they put ice packs and humidified air on you, but I think that would have been distracting). I don’t remember the name of my nurse but she was so sweet. I could not speak so we typed back and forth, and I had a buzzer which I used very liberally to call on her. I had some discomfort with my breathing since my nose got plugged up, but no localized pain in my jaw at all. Pain meds were given on the dot and I slept pretty well. I was able to syringe myself some juice and water after she showed me how. I can’t pretend I didn’t have regrets during the first night, though. It’s hard to think clearly when you are uncomfortable! My nurse must have been working for a full 12 hours, but before she finished her shift they moved me to a nicer room with a big TV and comfortable bed. At this point I was more independent and had the foley out, but I still had a little buzzer in case I needed anything.

Juli and Dr.Hsieh both checked in on me at the 24 hour mark, and another junior doctor checked on me earlier than that. To be honest I could have safely left but I was so nervous and scared that my swelling would impede my breathing. In retrospect that was a ridiculous fear but they were so nice about it and told me to stay rather than be alone in a hostel. In that time I was able to walk around the clinic a bit, to drink a lot of water and put on some ice packs.

When it did come time for me to leave, they wrote my address down for for me in Chinese characters to hand to the cab driver, walked me down to the street and physically put me in a taxi, haha. I was to come for follow up in 1 week.

The clinic sent me home with a big packet of stuff including hot/cold packs (incredibly convenient), mouthwash, q tips that were basically my toothbrush for the week. I messaged Juli on LINE a lot during this week, as we had already been in touch. She told me where to find protein shakes, ox broth, and answered other questions I had about my swelling and recovery. Sometimes she just sent me nice emojis and encouragement, which I really appreciated. I did swell a bit more and my first night at home was not easy, as I had to sleep sitting up. The first week was tough because there are a lot of meds to take on a schedule and while some are for pain, others are antibiotics so you don’t want to skip them!

At my follow up, they checked my bite, let me brush my teeth normally, and took out my rubber bands and screws. I am seriously SUCH a wimp about pain and they made it comfortable for me. I am telling you, this is a miracle and they pulled it off. They also answered all my questions thoroughly.

I think my swelling was worse than most peoples, because I didn’t start to get an idea of what I would look like until the 2 week mark. My flight home was at the 2 week mark and I remember looking at myself in the Japan airport admiring the results of the surgery. The incisor show is stunning and he didn’t cut down my mandible so much that I look like a potato face. My face was naturally a little angular and he gave me the perfect result. Sometimes I catch myself not even surprised at my reflection. My jaw never seemed right to me and he gave me the face I was *supposed* to be born with.

Something that I don’t feel my review conveys is the warmth shown by everyone I dealt with. As a single person going overseas for surgery, I was very scared and cautious. They managed to help me through everything and I felt so safe and cared for. I didn’t want to have my surgery at a ‘factory’ and while Dr. Hsieh certainly sees and operates on a ton of patients, I never felt like a number. This contrasts with stories I hear about jaw surgery in other Asian countries and quite frankly, what I have seen firsthand in some US doctors offices.