BeautyHacker

My recent consultations in Seoul and surgical experiences

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much. I learn a lot from your post. You're so knowledgable about all these stuffs. Since you've had 2 chin implant surgeries, may you share us some of your experience and knowledge about different types of chin augmentaion as well, please? Thank you a lot.

Hi im glad you found my post useful.

I would only recommend 2 materials for chin augmentation. Silicone and hydroxyapatite. Some surgeons have use cartilage, fillers or gortex and from what I've heard they don't work out that well due to higher risk of deviation and irregularity of the shape.

My first implant was done in Thailand at the Yanhee hospital. Do not go there. Dr Prechart was my surgeon and he basically took a block of raw silicone, cut out the shape and shoved it into my chin. I found this out later after it was causing me pain and i did a facial ct only to learn that the implant was jagged and misplaced. It was performed intraorally. I was actually semi awake during the procedure and i could feel him cutting into me it was quite terrifying. Silicone usually works out well if its a properly manufactured implant and the placement position is correct. I've been told that an external incision from under your chin gives better placement.

After I returned to Australia i got the implant removed and replaced with hydroxyapatite. I would highly recommend using hydroxy granules for a chin augmentation. Great results and no pain, minimal risk of complications. This was done through an incision from underneath my chin and there was no scarring after 3 kenacort injections to dissolve the scar. So how this method works is they use hydroxyapatite granules, which is an extract from corals. The surgeon will then mix the granules with your blood and turn it into a putty form. Then the putty will be moulded onto your bone and it will fuse with it. Using this method your body won't reject the implant and no leathery pocket will be formed around it. Only thing is its hard to find a skilled surgeon who can perform that procedure. The guy who came up with that method is Brian Mendelson. He was also the one who operated on me. If you choose to use this method make sure the surgeon is skilled in it and is using the granule form and not the solid implant. Removing the hydroxy is not easy thats why your surgeon needs to be skilled enough to do it in one go.

Hope that helps

Hi K Couture
Thanks for posting your experiences. I'm heading to Seoul in late January for revision rhinoplasty. I've consulted with Drs. Toriumi, Frankel and Thomas Le and all recommend rib grafting. I had a bone graft (which is an out of date procedure) and the graft has resorbed over time. My friend had her surgery with Dr. Paik Moo Hyun from http://www.ps101.co.kr/language/index1.jsp#M5 who is evidently well known among Koreans. He did a stunning job on her nose but it was a primary for her. He recommended a dermal graft from the sacral area and septal cartilage. My concern is that dermal grafts have a high resorption rate - but they look and feel quite natural. It seems all the American doctors are all for rib grafts and the one's in Korea are not - do you happen to know why?
The other questions I have is that I'm also doing fat grafting to forehead and cheeks and under eye area. Do you think a 3D scan would be necessary for something like this? Thank you in advance.

Wow once again your post is so detail and informative. It does help a lot. Thank you so much. I'll spend more time to do research on this, it seems I don't know anything about chin augmentation beside silicon implant and injection (not sure what it is). I appreciate your post a lot cuz I can't find many posts that share experiences on chin augmentation here.
May I ask you 1 more question if you don't mind. I know you're Australian but what is your ethnicity? Because you said there is no scar on your chin, that's really awesome. I'm Asian and I'm worried a lot about those scarrings and pigtails tend to appear more obvious on Asian skin. :biggrin:

Hi Chonny, I'm 1/4 british and the rest Singaporean Chinese. My skin type, despite being paler lol is more asian. Don't need to worry about scarring. With the kenacort it won't leave a scar. Also the skin on your face and the skin on your body is veryyyy different. You tend to scar alot more easily on your body than your face. Also very rare to get keloid scarring on the face but is common on the body for asians.

Hi Fraulein,
i am not too familiar with dermal grafts but i was recommended it by Dr Park Yang Soo of Dream cosmetic as an alternative to the ultra soft silicone implant he offered. He said if my skin is too thin to take the silicone he will use Dermal graft. The name of the product he said he would use is called Auto Dermal??? i think??? And its a lab manufactured dermal with strong shape and been treated to minimize reabsorption. It seems that dermal implants that can taken from your own tissue has a high rate of reabsorption but not the lab manufactured ones.

About the American doctors prefering to use rib versus the Korean surgeons, you are absolutely right that is the case. I actually a pointless argument with someone on this forum a while back who kept refuting this fact because he enjoyed arguing pointlessly lol. Anyways there are 2 reasons. Firstly Caucasian surgery tends to dominate the western market. And caucasians more often get reduction rhino rather than augmentations. When a caucasian patient does require an augmentation, their skin is not as suitable to the hard silicone implant as asians because caucasians have much thinner skin. This increases risks of complications for them. So rib grafts are more ideal. Over time this has become a cultural belief amongst the surgical practitioners.

You won't need a 3d facial scan for a fat graft. 3d facial shows bone structure and not the soft tissue. So I can't imagine it would make any difference unless you are planning to get v line or jaw/cheeck reduction surgeries.

thanks for the link ill definitely look into it!

4. OZ clinic

He said most likely he will remove the cartilage but leave the goretex. Issue with that I had is I knew the goretex would not give me sufficient elevation. He said most of my elevation came from the goretex but I can actually feel the cartilage in my nose and I know from both having it implanted inside me and reading the medical report that majority of elevation I had was from the cartilage and not the goretex.

.[/QUOTE]

Hi K Couture,
You mean he will remove the cartilage and replace with goretex? what you have right now is diced ear cartilage and scalp skin, correct?
I am actually interested in diced cartilage for nose augmentation. Although you're not satisfied with your second rhino, does it has more to do with the doctor's skills or the material is just not enough to give you the desire height that you're looking for?
Thank you again for being so informative. :smile:

no what i mean is he wanted to remove the diced cartilage and KEEP the goretex. My nose is currently botched because the surgeon Charles Lee from Beverly Hills decided to use goretex, and then placed diced cartilage on top of the goretex to build the bridge. This ended up with some protrusion and the top of my nose is permanently red. Its really something you should not do according to every other surgeon i have spoken to. So what I have now is goretex and diced ear cartilage with scap tissue above the goretex. Both implants are in the nose bridge area.

Its both the doctor's skill and the material. First, he should not have mixed both implants together. Second, you should bear in mind that alot of surgeons who advise against the diced cartilage method do so knowing that protrusion and irregularity tends to be more common with this sort of implant. In terms of height it depends on your nose and how much cartilage you have to harvest. If you do not have enough to harvest on one ear your surgeon may also take it from the other ear.

I honestly would not recommend the diced method tho. For me, I personally believe that a dermal implant or silicone gives better results.

was just quoted $18,000 US for revision rhinoplasty at VIP clinic - (using rib graft). seriously?

Wow! such a combination of materials. I have tried to search for any type of reviews for dermal implant but haven't found one. When you were at Dream, did you get to see any before and after photo for such?