BeautyHacker

So discouraging

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is true, you cannot trust newspapers in things like this... especially newspapers about money! and companies! haha! they're not about happiness, good results, health, but MONEY MONEY MONEY! dishonest money or honest money it doesn't matter, as long as the company makes a lot of it, stocks rise... good articles. they pay money to the newspapers, good articles. nothing to do with the truth.

I agree with this. that is why I want to take more time off and go to Korea so i can talk to people and ask around, people who are not agents or anything, who won't get money out of me, people who just want to share what they know, friendly people. those people exist in seoul and everywhere. don't just ask young ambitious people. ask old people, grandmothers, aunts... and maybe your friend or their friend has relatives in seoul or in korea. ask them :smile:

haha, yes, that's the benefit of PS :smile:

I feel this way too, but it's two kinds of fame like peterpan88 said. really good clinics don't need to advertise that much because they get free advertising too. bad clinics have to advertise A LOT because it's the ONLY way they get customers. no one recommends them other than people they hire (in forums like this, hunting for dumb foreigners...)

i hate my nose but i rather have it than get a bad result. for a little while, not forever haha. just long enough that i'm more confident i know what i want from my nosejob and who could give it to me.

of course i'll only make the decision after i talk to the doctors face to face in korea. :smile: but i can't go to korea just any time haha. but it's good because now i get to do a little more research but also to figure out what exactly i want from my nose. i don't like my current nose but i realized i don't know the "perfect nose" either. i know good noses and okay noses but i don't know exactly what i want. so i have to figure it out :smile: i know it about my eyes and everything else but not my nose. i just realized that.

thank you for your words of wisdom. i know there is a risk to everything but you can work hard to make the risk as small as possible. that is what i want. it's not bad to strive for perfection even if you don't accomplish it. the closer you are the happier you are. at least that's how i feel. why else do we feel good every time we're at a lower weight? and worse if we gain weight? because lower weight = closer to perfection. and a better figure. :smile:

thank you for your post and your words :smile: you can always PM me for whatever reason. I don't know about LIFE either. their marketing... yeah. and they do subtle results anyway from what i read. I actually feel a little better, I have researched a lot... i just wanted to write about my frustration. but it's okay, i feel better now :smile: you're right, foreigners are easy targets for bad clinics to take advantage of... we have to be careful.

thank you for your encouraging words :smile: i'm happy i've been able to help people. it's true, ourfaces are our most important possession, to trust that in someone's hands... it's not easy. your face is your life, your job, your friends... it's a lot to trust to someone else.

peterpan88 said: don't trust anyone online you don't even know. that includes me! so many people ask me which clinic is good, bad, i try to give my opinion but it's JUST MY OPINION and I CAN BE WRONG TOO. i have been wrong about things and clinics... so please do your research and don't blindly trust anyone.

you make good points. there are always competitors who leave bad reviews that are not true. and there are surgeons that discredit real patients who leave real bad reviews. it's really very scary... and you are also right, i have read many people being unhappy though there was nothing wrong with their results. they just regretted having PS in general... so not every negative review is a reliable indication either. but if they write a long text you usually know what their problem is, if it's real or not...

that makes sense and it is true, even a bad surgeon must get better when he works on enough patients, and a good surgeon will get great. you can't just be a natural born plastic surgeon, you have to practice. the more the better. that's why clinics like ID advertise "all our doctors have done over 1000 facial countouring surgeries" but it was a lie and they went to court for it and had to change their ad. but they put that in their ad because it creates trust because it's true that a more experienced surgeon is better.

Thank you everyone for your replies! :smile:

So so true Bauhausfrau and Peterpan! I live in a place where a handful of the 'reality' stars and docs are and it is all such a game. Sadly, it doesn't seem that people seem to get famous through hard work and performance, but ultimately I suppose they shouldn't be doing it for attention if they really care about being a good doctor anyway. It's interesting, I actually have googled some of those TV 'star' doctors and many of them aren't even board certified. Also there are many sham boards and certification programs out there that are just a matter of paying money and taking a weekend course, often sponsored by the vendors selling the product (for example breast implants). I'm always wary of surgeons who walk around like they're Rock Stars. They're just the product of a huge, big-dollar marketing machine. That's why I'm always on my soapbox about checking where they went to school and board certifications and credentials:smile:

I totally agree about not trusting the media, when I decided on Korea I originally picked Wonjin because of a CNN report but after doing more research I discovered that would've been a mistake. In my opinion nothing beats reading feedback by real members even if it's conflicting and confusing at times, I go as far as checking their profiles and past posts to see whether they're legit or not because it isn't that hard to tell when it's a promoter. Some members are also young teens with unrealistic expectations so that needs to be kept in mind when reading these reviews too.

I was obsessed with the Best PS Clinics thread and what many shared in there including your posts ShinyGlittery helped clarify things a lot and reading everyone's opinion made my decision easier. In fact when I arrived there I felt like I've already been to Korea and have visited those clinics before thanks to reading so much about them over here, that kept me at ease throughout the whole process as there were no surprises and I knew exactly what to expect.

I did panic at times whenever I thought of the risks involved and reading some of the horrifying stories didn't help either but in the end I'm happy so far that I've done it - I may change my mind later once the swelling goes down and discover something I may not like but for the time being there are no regrets. It's also interesting to note that I went there almost certain that I'll pick DARPS but instead ended up with a different surgeon, being in a clinic with other patients and meeting each doctor personally can completely change your final decision.

I'm happy you found my posts helpful. i wrote all my posts (that weren't questions or complaining haha) as part of my process to learn as much as i can about these clinics and ps in korea (and in asia in general). a lot of the information was research and experiences of other members that i summarized and i did that to learn from that information. writing all that information down helped me as much as you :smile: i have learned os much even before going to korea too! i already know that my final decision won't be what i think it is when i get on the plane... the most important thing is that i can trust the doctor and the staff and the clinic and everything seems okay. i also learned i need to be a lot more careful after all the horror stories. i'm happy you did your surgery already and i hope it turns out great when the swelling goes down :smile:
every time i found lists like the one the jk promoter posted i just decide to cross all those clinics off my list... because anyone involved in that international marketing scam "medical tourism" can't be honest... byebye, sorry, you won't get my money...

lol i just wish i found this forum back before i had my first surgery. (was this forum even available back then?)

my first surgery was in thailand at the yanhee, bad bad choice. I only went there because an aquaintance of mine was the ambassador there and i assumed her endorsement was because she truly believed in that clinic :S long story short they got a block of raw silicone, cut out a dodgey shape and shoved it in my nose and chin, both of which had to be replaced

Totally agree with you. Most of the time, those doctors who are selected to be the face of some big marketing scheme aren't necessarily the best ones. They may just be the most outspoken or with the best English skills - and those skills do not translate into being a good surgeon.

So beware people! Don't trust the media. And don't get all lovesick over some clinics just because they have operated on "celebrities". First of all, those celebrities do not look as good without Photoshop. And second, even if they do, and you manage to find out who their doctors are, they won't be able to re-create the same look for you. It's 50% luck!

i'm so sorry :sad: was that many years ago? or because you don't read any asian forums? i think almost everyone knows yanhee is a bad place... and anything in the south of thailand is even worse, so crazy to read some people want to go to southern thailand get a nosejob for $200 it's crazy. of course you don't get good results if you do that...