BeautyHacker

My Experience at Regen, EverM, and DAPRS

My Surgery Experience at EverM:

On the morning of the surgery, I went with my translator to EverM. I was a bit late because of traffic, so we rushed to the X-ray center to take photos of my chest and do some testings (this center does a lot of testing for the clinics at Gangnam. Kinda like an outsourced service). Because they have more testing facilities and equipment here that some mid-sized or small clinics don’t have.

After about half an hour, everything was done. I was taken back to EverM. Then one of the nurses came and read me some consent form and notice before surgery. To my surprise, it was actually written in English (even though she read to me in Korean). Then Doctor Yoon came and went over my expectations before the surgery (I think they call it “pre-op briefing”). Everything went smoothly, but my heart starts to pound faster. I guess this is when it actually dawned on me that I was about to go through a major surgery. I prayed to God that the surgery would go well. Then they took me to a preparation room. One of the nurses came and cleaned my face (they told me to shave the night before). She also shaved any extra hair that I missed on my chin. (hey, I’m a guy. I’m not so good with details…)

The final step: they took me to the surgery room. It was a mid-sized room, with around 4-5 nurses. There was one main Doctor (Doctor Yoon), and an assistant Doctor (who doesn’t operate because his specialty is not maxillofacial) but just stayed in the surgery room to assist the main surgeon. Then they put the anesthesia tube on my nose and within 5 seconds, I was out like a candle in the storm. I still remembered voices in my head reading the bible as I was going out lolz. It was surreal, like on those Korean soap operas about Doctors with Jang Yong Gun in it.

When I opened my eyes (somebody woke me up and said “surgery was successful” in English), I felt so so weak. Like my whole body just got hit by a truck. The nurses put something very cold on my face and I could barely make out her face. She mumbled “half an hour more till resting room”. I figured they meant they would let me stay in the surgery room for half an hour until I regained my strength, and then they would take me to the resting room, where I would spend the night. That half an hour was tough! I lied there, not being able to see my face, feeling so sore and dry in my throat. My whole body felt deflated like a balloon out of helium. I tried to breathe in and out deeply (to empty the effect of anesthesia in my body). But there were tubes in my mouth and throat so it was very hard to breathe, and it hurts every time! Being a guy, I thought my threshold for pain is higher than most, but man, those first few hours after the surgery – those were the bomb! On a scale of ten, I would say 7. I really really wished they would just let me lie right there for the whole day because the way my body was feeling at that moment, I couldn’t imagine moving a centimeter, let alone all the way to the other room! Anyhow, time was up. They rolled me over slowly onto a wheel chair, and then one male nurse actually wheeled me up to the resting room (it was on the ninth floor, where was the operating room was on the 5th floor I think). It was cold on the corridor, but fortunately he made it fast. I actually think it is very considerate of him to leave me inside the room waiting, while he went outside and pushed the elevator button, so that I would stay warm inside (instead of leaving me to wait in the cold on the corridor).

As they lay me down on the resting bed, I knew this was where I would spend the next 18 hours. It was 4PM when my surgery was finished (and we started at 1PM), so I guessed the whole operation took about 3 hours. One nurse came in and hooked my left arm up to a bottle of sea water. She also put two freaking cold ice bags under my chin and use a large bandage to secure them underneath my jaw. I felt a bit uncomfortable to have two ice bags under my chin, but luckily, they took it out after about 2 hours. Then she put two more ice bags on my bed side and told me to apply them regularly for 30 minutes each session, giving myself a rest of 15 minutes between sessions. She also clipped a pin on my toe to monitor my heart rate. It made the situation a bit clumsy because I had too many tubes and strings attached to me: the tubes from my mouth to take out the blood, the tube on my left arm to let in the sea water, the tube on my toe to monitor heart rate. I’m a “no strings attached” kinda guy, so you can imagine how uncomfortable I felt. Lolz.
As I lied there, my stomach began to growl! I got extremely hungry. But the nurse told me not to eat yet.

At 6PM, Doctor Yoon came in. I guessed he went for some consult and a break after my surgery. He told me in his broken English (but kinda cute) that my surgery was 100% successful! Man, I was on cloud nine. He said the surgery went very well, with no complication at all, and that I got 100% the result I wanted: more angles and masculine bone structures. This is all I ever hoped for. Even though it was too soon to tell or even recognize the result, hearing those words from him made me relieved beyond any words can describe. You guys, please keep in mind that plastic surgery is not child’s play. This is after all a surgery. While expertise and facilities play a big part in the outcome, I think luck is also a factor. I thank my ancestor and my guardian star to have helped me get through this. And frankly, there were moments when I kicked myself in the crotch (figuratively) for having gone through such a major surgery just for the sake of beauty. I mean, I’m considered beyond average-looking before the surgery. So this is definitely an indulgence on my part to have this surgery. The bottom line here is that we, by choosing plastic surgery to better our look, are sacrificing our health for our beauty. Nothing in life comes for free. Besides the hefty sum of money we pay, we need to keep in mind the health effect after the surgery and how it would affect our lives FOREVER. If the surgery went badly, then it’s a disaster you’ll have to live with every minute of every day for the rest of your life. If it went smoothly, and you got a beautiful face afterwards, your body still has a long way to recover and it may never get back 100% to the way it was before. I have always been very healthy and active in sports. So I can definitely tell the effect surgery has on my body: not being able to exercise for several months, the blood loss, and having this trauma done to my body, my bones --- those are not things you want to take lightly.

After nightfall, the first batch of nurses left, and the overnight batch came in. This is actually the sweetest part of my experience. The overnight nurse who stayed with me the entire night – she was an angel. And words cannot describe how much I appreciate and love her. To start with, I notice that the overnight nurses were a lot less attractive than the daytime ones. It makes senses, because most clients came to the clinics in daytime, and they want to use the most attractive nurses during daytime to please customers. But at night, there is no need for appearance anymore. So anyway, this overnight nurse who took care of me – she was not beautiful in any standard. Lots of facial pimples and her face was a bit chubby (but her body is skinny). Despite all that, I have to say, she really melt my heart with the way she took care of me. Every half an hour, she would come in to check on me, poured me warm water, and gently massaged my jaw with the ice bags. I was too weak to do all that by myself – so to have someone do it for me, especially late at night, all night long – was a blessing. And to be honest, she really didn’t need to do all that. I’m a stranger who cannot even speak her language, but she treats me really well, and used all the English she could remember from high school to communicate with me. She took my temperature and told me in her broken English with thick accent: “a little high, no worries, normal, not bad”. It was sweet the way she tried to console and alleviate my worries. There was also times when I pushed the button to call the nurse, and she would come in (I think I woke her up in the middle of her sleep), but she wasn’t upset. Very patiently and calmly asked me what I needed. I said I wanted to go pee. So she took out the tube on my left arm and the clip on my toe to let me go. She asked if I could walk by myself or does she need to come with me. And I said I could go by myself. Honestly, I was a bit embarrassed – I don’t want her to see my thingy haha. So as much as I appreciate the offer, I told her to just stay outside.

By midnight, I already felt a whole lot better. I started to apply the ice packs by myself. I also brought some Milo powder chocolate milk in my bags. And I took it out, asked the nurse for some warm water, and made myself some dinner. It was hard to drink with tubes in my mouth but I tried. I knew nutrients are very important during the recovery process, so from day one, we need to eat properly. Also, one very important point for you guys: keep your teeth clean! It was very easy to overlook this part because of the discomfort we feel, and all the pain, but really, it’s very important. Your teeth can get decayed very quickly, and it’s not enough just to rinse with water afterwards. You also need to gargle with Listerine and brush your teeth gently with those small medical toothbrushes. And be careful because you don’t want to tear your stitches!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CONT

I tried to sleep as much as possible after rinsing my mouth with Listerine. But it was so hard to sleep (especially with all the tubes and with your head kept so high). I was actually in an upright position (like on an airplane), and my butt started to itch because I haven’t moved for 24 hours! So my sleep came in broken pieces, about 2 hours each, and then I would wake up. So the entire night, I think I slept for about 6 hours. At 9AM, Doctor Yoon came in to check on me. He took out the mouth tube. Thanks God! That was the most uncomfortable part. He also took out the bandage under my chin. I thought it was kinda strange. Usually they kept the bandage there for several days to secure the new bones in place. So I asked him. I had to repeat myself 2 times because he couldn’t understand my English at first (with my mouth swollen being the reason). Then he answered me, saying that it’s ok to take out the bandage because my bones were secured using screw, so there was no risk of any muscle sagging or dislocation. I was a bit relieved. And then the nurses gave me medicines to drink for the next few 10 days, with also 2 bottle of clinical mouthwash (not the commercial one like Listerine). I think this one is a bit stronger and more effective in keeping your mouth germ-free. They called me a cab and sent me back to my hotel.

So all in all, my surgery experience was pretty smooth, except for the first two hours after general anesthesia where I felt really dizzy and nauseous, there wasn't any pain at all. It’s just a lot of discomfort, especially when you try to eat and brush your teeth. But I have got used to it now, and swelling has gone down about 80% for me. The Doctor said I’m a very fast healer because my physical condition was in top shape before the surgery. He did warn me not to jump right back into the gym though to give my jaw some time to adjust. Maybe after 4-6 weeks, I can work out again. But gaining weight isn't really my concern at this point – being on a liquid diet actually helped me lose 7 lbs! That’s right. No need for pills or training camp – I lost all that weight just by doing nothing! That’s a side effect that I would happily accept.

Below are some pictures at EverM: my surgery room, the ice bag, … I didn't manage to take a picture of the wonderful nurse who took care of me overnight, but I will forever be grateful to her for helping me during those difficult hours of my life.

Pictures:

Ice bag:
http://s10.postimg.org/qs0jglnll/photo_20.jpg

Doctor Yoon's office:
http://s10.postimg.org/m2alrzwl5/photo_1_5.jpg

The resting room:
http://s10.postimg.org/wroak98e1/photo_2_6.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/nesatvu0p/photo_3_2.jpg

Some random certificates I saw on his wall:

http://s10.postimg.org/6cuve1prt/photo_2_7.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/j6xil4sl5/photo_3_3.jpg
http://s10.postimg.org/77m0dtn09/photo_4_2.jpg

Their card:

http://s24.postimg.org/6spuo3zsl/photo_1_4.jpg

One more thing I forgot to add: during my overnight recovery at EverM, I actually sneaked out of my resting room and took a short walk while the nurses were asleep. I just wanted to see if there was anyone staying there with me. There was a girl in one other room who had her mandible done. But apart from the two of us, there was no one else. That's actually a good thing in my opinion because it means that the Doctor is not busy rushing from one surgery to another (and maybe forgot a knife in my throat lolz jk). So the fact that Doctor Yoon spent 3 hours on me alone - that makes me feel good, and it reassured me that I made the right choice. Again, I'm not promoting EverM Clinic. This clinic definitely has both pros and cons - for example, one drawback is that they are not a full-blown clinic with eyes, nose, and fat graft blah blah - so if you want those, you have to go somewhere else. But when it comes to jaw, I'm happy I went with them. This is my first jaw surgery (and hopefully the last), so I'm happy I was in good hands.

My swelling has subsided about 80% now, so I can clearly tell the result. And I love it.
It's not one of those dramatic differences where everybody noticed right away. The change is subtle but very effective. My jaw is so much more angular now (because of the way he cut it), and my chin is more prominent (more masculine). Before I had a round jawline, but now, my jaw looks like Jesse Pinkman's (look him up). That's the result I was hoping for and I got it. Granted that the swelling is still there, I can't tell 100% the result yet. But I like what I see so far. Fingers crossed, hopefully it will only get better...

Oh and to answer your question, I think it's perfectly safe to do eyes. For nose, I don't know. They may have a problem with seeing proportionality because of the way your face is swollen. But if you just do eyes, there is really no need to judge the proportionality of your face.

Thank you so much peterpan for sharing your experience in such a great detail! I'm going to have to read it a couple more times to make sure I get everything you said.Can't wait for your eye surgery experience.

When you said your swelling had sudsided 80%, did you mean that for your eyes also? I thought it took a long time for eye swelling to go down. You must be in an amazing physical shape to heal so fast.

Happy healing and hope you get to see the city before heading back.

Another thanks for such a detailed post on your PS experience. I love the fact that you snuck out to see if there were any other patients :smile:

Please keep posting with updates on your recovery! I'm also considering jaw surgery (although not genioplasty -- most likely a v-line procedure to reduce my chin and mandible) so I'd love to see how your recovery goes. I hope you'll be even more pleased as the swelling subsides and the results become more visible.

lol, that's the best endorsement for Regen!

Oh no no, I didn't make myself clear. When I said swelling subsided 80% for me, I only mean for jaw. For eyes, it takes a lot longer to heal (and since I had it during the last few days of my stay in Korea), I'm still a hell lot swollen in the eyes (not to mention the redness). I got some questions from co-workers when I come back to work, but I just said I got lasik surgery. (white lies, God forgives me).

Thank you for your wishes. I did a lot of sight seeing while I was there. Korea is such a beautiful place. I love the country!

My best advice for you would be to arrange with the clinic for an in-house translator. That means the clinic hires their own translator before you come to consult. That way, whatever cost will get transferred to them, and not you who have to bear the cost.

Most clinics will go out of their way to accommodate you. And they are very happy to have international patients (trust me, we bring more money to them than the locals, lol). For example, EverM told me they are looking to hire a translator because more and more English-speaking patients are visiting them. Also, the ones with no English consultants (such as Girin - which I also visited) told me that they have a deal with the nearby clinics - in such a way that if given 3 days notice, they can "borrow" the in-house translators from the other clinics. So, planning is the key here. Don't come to Korea without planning ahead, then you make yourself more vulnerable to those hawks looking to take advantage of you (financially).

Hi peterpan,
Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience w/so much helpful info, especially since Everm is one of the two on my list so far. i'm so glad that you got good aftercare right after surgery. it's when you're weak and vulnerable that you need people there for you and the nurses sound very sweet. maybe this is an advantage of going to a mid-size clinic where they can spend more attention on you... i just feel bad for you that you got stuck w/such a *****y translator...

anyway, you gave me the idea to mention to which ever clinics i'm consulting with that I'm a member of this forum and that I'll be posting my experience- this might help w/ price negotiation and accountability... oh, do you know if they used dis-solvable screws/ fixtures on you? or are they titanium? and I just have to ask this: what kind of gown/ clothes did they put on you for surgery?did you get to wear some kind of pants/bottom? i'm asking because i read somewhere that for some reason someone got rolled in for surgery naked with just a blanket covering them. i thought this was strange for "facial" surgery... Again, thanks and congrats on your successful surgery (so far). it sounds like yhou're going to be fun watching yourself transform and looking hotter each day!

It's good to hear that. I really want to consult with Girin, but I cannot bring myself to hire a translator. I'm glad that they find a way around for us foreign customers. Peter, do you happen to have Girin contact information as well?
Thank you so much for your detail reviews and wishing you a speeding recovery!!!

Ohhh yeahh very good idea !!
Thanks a lot for the advice sir :biggrin:

Peter, thanks for the clarification!

Looking forward to your report on eye surgery :smile:

I remember something you said earlier that you would like to go to a clinic/doctor who is great in the procedure you want to do, even if that means you need to go to different clinics for different procedures. I can't agree with you more on that. So for your eyes, I imagine you must have done tons of research before picking Teium or AT in the end. Can I ask for your opinion on Dr. Kwon from Teium or AT as far as his skill/expertise on revision eye surgeries? I am looking for a doctor who is good at that as well as removing the extra skin on both of upper and lower lids. I am seriously considering Dr. Kwon now.

I am also planning to do my nose work on the trip to Korea, would you know if any doctor from Teium or AT is known for being good at nosy job so that I can do both procedure with them?

Thanks lot in advance and enjoy your new look :smile:

I am curious if any of the forumers here had trouble passing the custom coming back to the States when faces are still very swollen after the surgery? I am planning 2 batches of ps for my next trip and plan to have eye and nose about 2 weeks before leaving Seoul. I imagine my eyes and faces will still be so swollen that I won't look like myself at all! Curious how everyone dealt with the issue in the past?