BeautyHacker

Dr Kim at BK Hospital

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those links are very helpful, thanks. I am still quite worried, and, I can't really feel well-disposed toward BK, but I do have to hope for the best and support her.

It turns out her Korean-American hairdresser suggested that she do this, and discouraged a frank discussion with me. I'm not going to pry more, but it wouldn't surprise me if Korean clinics discourage women from frank discussions with their husbands to up their profits, and, it wouldn't surprise me if BK provided a finders fee to the hairdresser. So I have a very, very bad impression of BK.

Keep an optimistic outlook, especially when you see her for the first time. She might still be swollen, depending on how far along the healing has gone.
http://www.docshop.com/education/cosmetic/face/face-lift/recovery/
It can take a few weeks before she sees the final result, and it is not uncommon to become very insecure during the healing process. The most important thing is that you are together.

I agree that a frank discussion would be best, and would allow peace of mind for both of you, whether she decided to go through with it or not. But people can get very obsessive about their appearance. Once they have their mind set on getting surgery, it is very difficult to dissuade them. We have over 500 pages devoted to discussing nose jobs on this forum.

I wish you both the best.

my mom had facelifting, i went to korea with her in May. It has been almost 4 months but she dosent' have any problem.
I don't know why people are just so upset with BK clinic. I know everyone has different experiences and opinions. but i had a good time there. We stayed at the hotel near by the clinic. But still the staffs helped me and my mom walk down to the hotel. they helped us everything related to staying in Korea. i think dr. Kim was humorous and seemed to care a lot about my mom after surgery.
I am now saving my money so that i can go back to get my nose done.
i felt bad to see some complains, hope people going to BK clinic have good experiences as my mom did.

My wife has now left Korea, and I've spoken to her over the internet. She is happy with the job BK did, and happy with her stay there in general... she thought the staff was good, and her mood now is good. My fear that a bunch of new charges would appear on our credit card proved to be false.

Her only complaint was she didn't like the food. She stayed in the Clinic for a full 7 nights.

I am mostly puzzled as to why it is so hard to call a patient or for them to call out. Her calls out were through an international-enabled cell phone of another patient. Calling in was like the 1930's... always involved someone literally tracking her down her floor, as if from a hand-written list, and then someone on that floor physically getting her and bringing her to a nurses' station. When one is paying >$10,000, you would think phone service would be better.

The internet connectivity was unreliable, according to her. She did bring a laptop with WiFi.

Of course, had I known that she was going for plastic surgery, we could have arranged a contact method... I'd gladly have set up an internationally-roaming cell phone. And that I didn't know is a poor reflection on our relationship. One thing I learned from her visit to BK is that BK doesn't ask simple questions, like, does your family know about your surgery? On the one hand, everyone deserves privacy; on the other hand, not telling one's spouse might be an indication of a type of psychological issue that the surgery might influence (for better or worse).

As to the surgery itself, it looks like it was both upper and lower eyelid... perhaps blepharorasty. Mainly she didn't like the bags under her eyes, but it looks like there is are incisions on her upper eyelids too. Also, some kind of facelift/intended wrinkle removal. She keeps her hair kind of plastered to her temples right now (I've only seen over the internet in poor resolution) as if to cover something up; really, the outer corners of her eyes themselves look kind of pinned up. I thought wrinkle removal required resurfacing or laser peel; the weird thing is that her skin around her eyes was never loose, just some bagginess under the eye.

Her eyebrows now kind of look like Mr. Spock's (Vulcan-like, from Star Trek). Before they really curved down on the outside near her temple. I'm puzzled by why she has the Vulcan-look and whether it is permanent... perhaps this is a remnant of an eyebrow-lift. But none of the before-afters on the BK Dongyang page show this sort of thing... maybe it is a temporary situation that will relax back to the original look over a few weeks. Some other eyelift sites have stuff that looks more like her situation... see the diagramed eye a bit down the page on the left at:

http://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/805373/are-you-a-good-candidate-for-cosmetic-surgery

She had a slight epicanthic fold, but not it did not extend down in any way and obscure her eyelid; it mainly was just another line above her eyelash. But she may have felt that her eyes looked to tired and droopy with that extra line. I've never felt (or said) her eyes were anything but gorgeous.

She also had some fat added under the lines between the corners of her nose and the edges of her mouth. She is a little dissatisfied, and feels that the added fat would have succeeded better if I had never called her (we had, perhaps, 10 minutes on the phone after the fat insertion; it was the first contact we made after I found her, and she became very agitated).

So we'll see... any wisdom (like kain's) would be helpful. Psychologically, I'm striving for total unequivocal support. I remain floored by this.

disregard this post. i get paranoid looking for people hired by clinics.

Trying2Learn
I'm glad your wife's surgery turned out fine.

According to this page, her brows should lower a bit after her brow lift due to stretching, and as she ages it will lower even more. However, brow lifts are meant to be permanent so hopefully the final result is one that you are both happy with.
http://www.realself.com/question/high-eyebrows-botox

If she has had an incision facelift, she is probably hiding a scar along her forehead, as that is where they make the incision, apparently.

Your reproach for plastic surgery is understandable, and also very healthy. You sound very reasonable and all your concerns are valid, there is no need to dismiss them. Hopefully these things should resolve over time as the final results of surgery finalize to what they should be, as the scars heal, and as you get on with your lives together.

Surely there will be Star Trek sequels.

My wife just got home, and by and large, the plastic surgery is OK. They injected fat from her stomach in her forehead, nosebridge, and cheeks under nose corners; all worked pretty well, except the fat under nose, which BK says did poorly because
my wife talked too much during recovery. Also eyebrow lift, and blepharoplasty.

The only other negative: because she cried a lot while at BK Dongyang, some swelling occurred, and one scar doesn't look perfect. I think eventually that scare will look fine.

The big picture is: she says it is a standard practice in Asia for women to disappear for a long weekend, get plastic surgery, and reappear on Tuesday or so at home looking 20 years younger. Their busy husbands don't notice or ask questions. BK Dongyang viewed me as a total weirdo for discovering, caring, and then trying to talk to her in the hospital.

So perhaps this is a cultural problem. But in the US better plastic surgery places try to make a psychological evaluation, and try to make sure a patient is stable and all will go well. My wife is normally quite stable, but, what happened was when I discovered this and called she was upset and chagrinned, and cried a lot. That impeded proper healing of the scars around her eyes.

The lesson is: one way or the other, achieve a situation where crying does not go on during the healing of eye scars. The American way, I think, would be to make sure your family knows and supports you, and leaves you alone or fully supports you during recuperation... whatever needed to get an emotionally stable recovery. The Asian way is to make the whole thing totally secret; husbands just ignore their wives disappearing for 5 or 6 days and are delighted when their wives show up looking younger.

Hi- sorry i got caught up in doing more research and didnt see your message. i already had my surgery at bk- how about you? im 3 weeks post op and its going great. i really like the results but wish it would just heal faster- its like ant years! i found dr kim to be great, not as bad as people have been posting , although i can see how he is a bit on the quiet side and so as a patient you feel a little anxious if you're doing all the talking. he knows his stuff. hope your surgery went well...update me?

hey happy camper- sorry im so new to this forum that i responded as a quick reply and it didnt address your original message. i was saying that i already had my surgery at bk with dr kim and am 3 weeks post op now. healing is going great, no infection, just a taking a lot of patience. its like ant years waiting for swelling to go away. the tip plasty is still quite bulbous. but from the side profile, its perfect with the most natural slant.
i hope your surgery went well whoever you decided to go with. update me =) take care, happy healing