BeautyHacker

Why Korea for Plastic Surgery?

The title says it all. Why do you guys want to go to Korea for plastic surgeries? The more I read the Korean plastic surgery-related websites, the more scared I am. I would like to learn why Korea is so popular among people who consider plastic surgeries. What do you know and what makes you consider Korea?

Thank you.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, why are you scared?

Korea is known for its plastic surgery, and being in Asia, consequently have a much higher volume of asian patients than American doctors. Also, the surgeons will have a better idea of what asian people consider beautiful. They "know" it rather than learn it from what they read in textbooks. Some procedures completely rely on this: Asian rhinoplasty, for example, is completely different from Caucasian rhinoplasty and involves implants rather than shaving the bridge down. There are also other procedures that are not commonly performed in the US, like revision eyelid surgery.

Being asian, I've gone to Korea for surgery and was very happy with my results. If my surgery was not ethnicity-related though, of course I'd rather stay home and go to an American doctor.

I am scared because it is very hard to know the truth.

I almost decided to have a revision surgery on my eyes with one doctor in Korea, who is supposed to be very skilled (after I had contacted many doctors in Korea). So I have been following and visitng all kinds of plastic surgery-related websties looking for some information about his patients everyday. It was very hard to find a real patient's story. Recently I found that when there is any negative review about him, it gets deleted right away. There was one persistent patient who would post his review again and again. It seems that even he couldn't persist forever because his review is gone now, though. But due to the combination of his persistency (for a while) and my everyday routine check, I could read some real story.

Anyway now I am considering having my revision surgery here in the US, if I still want to have it.

• 3 months later...
FYI:
(Source:http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/12/117_101689.html)

The following link is reporting the same information I posted above, but it has names of the plastic surgery clinics, who had top 12 complaints for the last three years. Unfortunately they are in Korean. So I am not sure how it could be helpful to folks who don't know Korean.

http://news.kukinews.com/article/view.asp?page=1&gCode=kmi&arcid=1324986840&cp=nv

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Here are the plastic surgery clinics with top complaints from article above

▲ Apgujeong, Seoul Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ granulator Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) ▲ BK Dongyang Plastic Surgery Clinic (Nonhyeon-) ▲ Wonjin Plastic Surgery (Seocho) ▲ Seoul won Plastic Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Rapids en-Up Assembly (Samseong) ▲ The United Nations Children molding Surgery (Yeoksam-dong) ▲ Hee Moon Plastic Surgery (Sinsa) was followed.

• 1 month later...
Wonjin was one of the places I plan to go for consult but after reading this I'm having 2nd thoughts...
One issue is that big clinics such as BK and Wonjin would obviously perform a lot more surgeries than smaller clinics so maybe the reason for the large number of complaints could be due to the fact they have a lot more clients?

I agree. I finally decided on Wonjin but started to rethink it.

Actually, regardless, Wonjin is STILL one of the top among Korean locals. BK is for sure a NO

What surgery are you getting?
Yeh BK is a no for me too.
Im also considering banobagi n Regen.. Do you know if they are popular with the locals?
Regen seems a lil overpriced tho