BeautyHacker

How to pay for Surgery?

I'm really curious about this. If you go to a foreign country like S. Korea, do most clinics expect you to pay in cash? Or do they accept other forms of payment as well? Do most of the reputable/respectable clinics expect you to pay prior to your surgery or do some allow you to pay later/after your surgery?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This question seems to get asked a lot on here. I would say just make your life easier and pay by card. That's what I've always done and I've still been able to get good discounts at clinics etc.

One thing, I learned from S.Korea is.. many clinics and hospital tried to overcharged me
Not only me but also you girls has to be careful when you visit clinics.
Of course, some clinic had reasonable price and good service but there are more bad clinics than good clinics

I should have written a section on this in my guide lol.....Ok basically here is what you do with regards to payment methods for surgery.

You call up the clinics which you have shortlisted. You ask them if it would be cheaper paying by cash. SOME not all clinics will give you a better price if paying by cash. This is due to the 10% tax they incur. However, others will not provide this option for you as technically it is not allowed. So what do they do to negate the higher price from this tax? They subsidize the tax in the total so if you are having surgery at clinics that subsidize, it makes no difference paying by credit or cash. In fact, through this option credit would be more beneficial. Just make sure there is no credit surcharge involved.

Some clinics will also allow you to do a telegraphic transfer from your bank, however this is usually subject to the 10% VAT or whatever tax it's called. Basically any form of payment that can be traced electronically (i.e. credit card or bank transfer) is supposed to be taxed according to Korean law. As K already mentioned, try to get them to subsidize the tax charges.

Hello, let me out

Thank you for sharing information :smile:!!

:ty:I've been wondering about this for a while.

yup very easily. When i had my surgery in LA a few years ago i passed through customs within 10-20mins and explained why I was carrying so much cash. They will merely keep a record of you leaving the money with said cash and cite the reason why. Then they let you through.

Did you just walk into the bank and ask the teller for $13k and walk out? What if someone overheard you and you got mugged outside?
I'm considering paying in cash and this is a concern for me.

Nah, more like I saved up in cash at the first place. I too didn't want my teller to ask me about where my money is going.