BeautyHacker

How to pay for Surgery?

I think you can call the bank in advance to have the cash ready for you to pick up. Some banks do need to know in advance if its a large amount so they can actually have it available. I think some banks only hold a certain amount in case they get robbed.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds like a better option. I did read about someone paying with cash and the clinic's consultant actually accompanied them to the bank to withdraw the money. Since Gangnam is a wealthy area, I feel slightly better about doing something like that.

I'd like you to pay in cash
since it charges more for the credit card from the card company you are registered
they go by high currency rates from credit card company
so it will be nice for you to change it from bank or just pay them by U.S. dollars instead

I paid with AMEX. No international fees, you get points and it's secure this way. Be mindful that at a certain amount (with cash) that you declare, there might be taxes associated to it as well. But, either way, I'd rather cough up the 10% than get jacked, have it stolen, lost or confiscated.

• 2 months later...
Cash is a better option because most clinics will remove the VAT or reduce the price if you pay in cash.

Always tell the clinic you live in Seoul and have family there. I never tell clinics if I'm staying for a short time in Korea. I feel as though all clinics tend to give a better price and do a better job of surgery on patients who don't seem too foreign or lost because they know they can get screwed over by the law or government if a patient has connections in Korea.

Also, the way I get the best price is I'll kakaotalk/email/online consultate (in korean, because they give you the lowest base price) for an estimate price before I go to the clinic, once I'm there sometimes they will call higher and I'll show them what they said on kakaotalk/email/online and they'll lower it to that price. I don't bring up that I'll pay in cash until after they call the final price so that I can haggle a little more off.

Thank you K Couture and Sodium for your tips :smile:
Aside from AMEX, if you happen to have CapitalOne in your country, any credit card from them is free of foreign transaction fees, and they have great CS that monitors your usage to prevent fraud.

• 1 month later...
Interesting. :thinking:

I ended up withdrawing $13k AUD from the bank. The stupid bank teller was not discrete about it at all but luckily there were only old people in the bank. No problems getting the cash through customs, I only had to fill out a declaration form. No questions asked by officials. Once I left Sydney, I felt pretty safe with the cash on myself. I exchanged $100 AUD at Incheon, there's no minimum to exchange. Then on consult day, I went to a nearby exchange centre in Apgujeong and converted my money. The smaller vendors in Myeondong have better rates though.