BeautyHacker

My plastic surgery journey in Korea - Step-by-step

Oh sure! I've read numerous accounts of people having surgery the same day as their consultations or the day after.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had my done on friday at View as well, eyes, nose and fat graft. I wasn't expecting to swell and bruise this much I look so hideous and can hardly open my eyes:sad: Taking comfort in your review that it is all normal and trying my very darnest to stay positive. Dr kim gave me slightly more fat as i wouldn't be able to come back for a top up so am wondering if that the reason for the overzealous swelling and bruising?. I don't know if I would de-swell enough in 2 weeks to go back to work :sad: And was hoping to go sightsee a bit but i feel like crap and really can't go out in this state even with a mask and cap!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi everyone,

So it is 2 weeks and 2 days since my surgeries at View. I just want to write about my experience and results just to give back to this forum.

Dr. Kim Taek Kyun did my nose. I like the shape but it looks very slightly crooked on very close examination and shows up more in photos than in person. But i'm told it is the swelling that's causing the asymmetry and that it will straighten once swelling goes away. Some members on this forum experienced the same before....so fingers crossed, we shall see. He also did my fat grafting, forehead, temples, and mid face. I had a lot of bruising and swelling which has now mostly subsided though my cheeks still look puffy and chipmunk-ish..hopefully that will go away with time,

Dr. Kim Jeong Min did my eyes. He recommended incisional double eyelids(to get rid of some excess skin), ptosis and epicanthoplasty. My eyelids are a bit too high and I DEEPLY REGRET the epicantho and I caution anyone of Asian/Chinese descent who's considering it to think twice and then think twice again. I don't think I was a suitable candidate for epicantho to start with, but was naive as the couple of clinics I consulted with both recommended it to 'make my eyes look bigger'. Also, doctors shouldn't just dish out epicantho as standard protocol... when i received replies from my email consults, every single one recommended it thoughtlessly.

The eye procedures made me look more 'western' but not in a good way, there is no facial harmony and I look quite strange. My eyes are more slanted and closer together because I had my nose bridge raised as well. I remember asking him during consult if epicantho will cause my eyes to look too close together as I was having my nose done too, and he assured me it will not. The 'western' look is not what I wanted to achieve, i feel like i've lost my identity. I still want to look Chinese. It really saddens me that I don't recognise the face I see in the mirror :sad: But i've made my bed so have to lie in it.

In photos, i look better but in person, i think i look strange :sad:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying View is a bad clinic. Everyone in the clinic has been really nice..even the doctors. I guess I was just unlucky.

And oh by the way, I've put two and two together and figured out that forumer "BeautifulJA" is actually a consultant at the clinic. Her written english is exactly the same as her spoken english and JA is her initials. And look at her past posts, all glowing reports of View.

I'm happy to answer any questions as I really want to help and prevent anyone from making the same mistake as me. My email address is [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
So I thought I'll try to write a post every 4-6 weeks just to give anyone reading this thread a better idea of my recovery process.

It is 4 weeks 3 days post op today. I am trying my hardest not to feel sad about the way my eyes turned out. I measured crudely with a ruler and it looks like my lids are about 7-8mm-ish, from eyelashes to incision when eyes are closed, and 2.5mm-ish when eyes are open. Too high for the shape and size of my eyes...i don't know and too late too over analyse now :sad:

At the moment, I think look a bit sleepy(almost like I can't lift my lids fully) and my eyes seem small and upward slanting especially in the morning when I'm most swollen. It gets better in the afternoon when swelling subsides. I can also feel that my left eyelid is slightly more swollen than the right eyelid.

The redness at and around the epicantho incision sites is slowly subsiding. The clinic did not give me any cream or ointment for the epicantho. They only prescribed an antibiotic ointment to apply on incision sites for a week after surgery. My inner corner were getting quite red and itchy after I left Seoul so I started using Avene Cicalfate - a repair cream recommended by a surgeon on Realself for eyelid surgery, and that seem to help with the itch and redness. There is a small raised bump at my lower right eyelid where the doctor did the epi, I'm hoping it will flatten over time. If it doesn't, I'm wondering if steroid injection will help further down the road? Anyone experienced the same?

As for my nose, it is still very slightly crooked. I asked the consultant over Kakao and sent her a photo. According to her, she asked Dr Kim and he said the asymmetrical swelling can cause the nose to look crooked so I should wait a few more months. Again, anyone had a similar experience? If so, did your nose look straighter after swelling subsided?

On an ending note, I've read somewhere before that the pain associated with plastic surgery really is not so much physical but psychological..oh how true!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
It is week 10 post op. I must say I'm a lot happier now. I was still quite depressed at week 6 and have had quite a few people from this forum sending me words of encouragement over email. I'm ever so thankful to everyone who had taken the time and effort to write because those emails boosted my morale and made me feel so much better.

Things really turned the corner for me at week 8. A lot of the initial swelling and redness subsided. I'm feeling less self conscious and don't feel the need to hide behind my sunglasses any more.

My eyes are looking more symmetrical now. I'm also losing the feline look(thank God!!) which i reckon is largely due to the swelling going away. Right eye epi slightly overdone making my right eye look a bit bigger but i think i can live with it. I also think with the redness from the epicantho subsiding, my eyes do not look like they're that close together anymore.

My nose is also smaller and straighter though still a tad crooked on close inspection..again I can live with it as I would say I'm 75-80% satisfied with everything now and given more time(as it's only week 10), i'm hoping things will get even better. I really don't fancy going through more surgeries and am not chasing for perfection...who has a perfectly symmetrical face and features anyway?

The consultant from View called me today just to make sure I'm okay and requested that I send her some recent photos because I kakao'ed her at week 6 with my concerns. I felt so touched because, bearing in mind that I live in the UK, being thousands of miles away the clinic could've just taken my money and forget about my existence. She was also very reassuring when I kakao'ed her a month ago and gave me her word, saying that if i'm still unhappy half a year down the road, their medical team will definitely help me.

Again, I'm happy to answer any questions and share photos :smile:

hi chansy,

I am happy that you are satisfied with your surgery. Can i ask how old you were when you got the surgeries? And are you happy with fat grafting results. I want to do fat graft, but i am afraid it will make me look too different or plastic. As for your eyes, would you recommend epicantho now after your recovery? Do you mind sharing pictures with me?

I'm 37 years old. I would still say proceed with caution for the epicantho and ask for measurements and lots of questions to clarify any doubts. I'm happy with the fat graft but the initial few weeks were horrendous, I looked very plastic.

Drop me an email and I'll send you photos.

• 2 weeks later...
HI Chansy, I am studying in the UK at the moment and i am planning to go to Korea to do double eyelid at JW. After reading your post, I am taking View as one of my consideration for my eyes and nose as well. Do you mind to email me your before and after pictures? That will be very helpful. Thank you so much. Tbh I am indecisive of which clinic to go for actually.

I had my nose done recently at View with Dr Lee. While I cannot vouch for other View doctors, but I can honestly say that I'm completely in love with my nose. It is exactly what I had envisioned. I went into the consultation not even knowing what I wanted, and I asked Dr Lee for his recommendation. He took a look at my nose and immediately knew what to do. It's as though an artist just created the perfect nose and plastered it on my face.

That said, I did read some nasty reviews about botched noses at View, but I think it ultimately depends on the doctor. I guess I got lucky and was assigned to Dr Lee. Good luck to those who plan on having surgery at View.