BeautyHacker

plastic surgery for people age 30+

Hi everyone,

I'm in my 30s and looking to get some kind of surgery on my jaw (ie vline, etc). I was talking to a clinic and they said the younger the better (obviously) but if I'm 30 it's still 'ok.' This answer is disturbing to me because I'm well above 30. I've tried getting information on what extra risks I'm looking at for this age range but I'm not really getting a whole lot of useful information nor could I find a thread on this.

If any of you have done jaw surgeries in your 30s, it would be great if you could share your experience with me. I need to make an informed decision before I decide to splurge on this trip. Thanks!

Only my guesstimate based on what I recall reading... I believe most people who get jaw line / bone shaving (a little more than half, from one article I came across) type of surgeries become dissatisfied, b/c of loss of sensations/nerve damage, pain, lost of bite/strength, and/or sagging appearance of cheek/jowl skin/tissue/muscles. I'm guessing that the younger you are, the less noticeable it'd be (and more time/ easier/ more likelihood of tissues/muscles to re-adhere to new structure, and nerve regrowth?), but for those 30+, the sagging would probably be more pronounced right after surgery and lead to immediate dissatisfaction with results... I believe also this is a fairly new procedure offered (for cosmetic purposes, but not new for TMJ sufferers, or corrections to extreme disfigurement), so the jury is still out regarding the long term implications/complications... but I do know many American docs. think Korean PS docs have gone overboard in offering jaw shaving procedures for purely cosmetic (vs. functional) reasons... (but imo -- then again, for correcting disfigurement, that's a purely cosmetic reason too... but I digress...)

Here's that article: http://yourhealth.asiaone.com/content/concerns-grow-over-jaw-surgery

Not meant to deter you, but simply sharing info. & opinion so that you can be aware of the possible risks involved...

Also, I'm not too keen about jaw procedures, so my apologies if this seems more alarmist than necessary... I'm not sure what the finer distinctions / details / differences are between V line, T line, double jaw or any other jaw / bone procedures. But others may be more knowledgeable and have more to say about it...

I do feel that people should know the risks involved with any type of surgery and jaw surgery is a major procedure. Two jaw surgery is something that is only done in the United States if medically necessary; I have never seen it done for cosmetic purposes here. I have consulted with several Korean clinics and they all feel from my photos I need two-jaw and believe me I was blown away. A US doctor will tell me to live with it and accept myself because no one here would be willing to do that major surgery without justification. So in my opinion, yes, some Korean clinics have gone overboard in offering these intense surgeries, but at the same time, if they did not, some of us may have to live with looking at features we aboslutely hate, without there being any hope of changing it.

About the bone contouring past age 30: I am 32 and 2 years ago I had a jaw shave that was unsuccessful. The shape of my jaw did not change; it still strong and wide. I did not have any negative side effects whatsoever. I have to say that I am black and korean and my skin is still firm and may age differently from someone full asian or full black at this age. I do not smoke, drink, I exercise and I am not in the sun. My skin adhered back to the bone immediately, but that doesn't mean yours will or will not.

There are so many factors involved with whom will have sagging after surgeries like this that is why it is important to consider all the risks with the doctor.
I feel you are smart in doing your research to determine for yourself if the possibility of having a sagging face is worth it and/or nerve damage, disfigurement, or other negative results. Because at the end of the day it is yourself that has to live with the decision.

hello i'm at my 30 and planning to to zygoma and jaw reduction by 31 years old. i'm thinking the risk og sagging skin, i may do lifting afterward if my skin sag after surgery. This is my ultimate dream to get more feminie face. i'm earning money right now plan to do this end of the year or next mid year

Thanks for everyone's responses. It seems to me that aside from the normal risks that the biggest factor that comes with age is skin sagging. One clinic told me I could do acculift (which I also read here on the forum somewhere) but that makes me curious about how often you have to do these type of treatments? Does one visit to the surgeon fix sagging skin entirely or are these solutions just temporary?

Acculift is not a procedure that alleviates sagging. Its great for volume reduction but shrinking of soft tissue or tightening effect is superficial due to heat and swelling.

I've got a number of friends who have done facial bone contouring before and that includes V-Line too. They have all experienced sagging to varying degrees. It is an inevitable part of facial contouring because your structure is very much held in place by your facial bones. Reducing them will lead to sagging. How much you sag will depend on your age, whether you are a candidate, and how much bone is shaved/resected. Younger people may not notice the sagging effect at first as often it is concealed by swelling or it could be that it is done well and therefore too mild to be obvious. The procedure does cause pre mature aging tho. In my case I had to have a mid face lift in my early twenties after my mandible reduction. Granted, I not only wasn't a candidate for the procedure, too much bone was excised too.

The only cases I have seen where I have not seen sagging after bone contouring is when a face lift is done at the same time whereby excess skin is also removed. But that is a bit ott for someone in their 30s tho

I know doctors all say different things but the ones I know don't recommend it as sometimes in certain areas on the face, you only get one chance. Experts I know recommend Voluma (sp?) that goes on your cheeks. Perks your face up without the surgery and the filler last about two years. You look a bit younger, buys you more time before a face lift, etc.

Hi K Couture,

I can see from your many posts that you've had lots of experience with PS. In your mind, what was the surgery that you felt was the most worthwhile and caused you the least amount of headache? If you don't mind me asking, why were you not a good candidate for the mandible reduction?

I'm quite surprised that your surgery didn't go well, given how much you know and how much research you seem to do (this is just my assumption based on reading some of your posts). Was it miscommunication between you and the surgeon that led to too much bone being removed? Or were there other factors?

Hi Metrowestmama,

I was talking about botox on another thread.. and I think Juvederm falls into the same category aka fillers. While I've read that these provide great results and most people swear by it, injecting it too often causes people to develop a plumped up look.. they call it the 'pillow-face'. After i started getting botox every 4 - 6 months for a few years, I started to develop the swollen look as well so I had to stop.

The other thing about Juvederm (Voluma) is that while they claim it lasts 2 years, the strength of it weakens over that period which means it's potency can "start" to wear off after half a year, resulting in more money spent for additional injections and more puffiness - or at least potential for it.

Well my Mandible Reduction was performed nearly 10 years ago. At the time I was no where near as well researched and knowledgeable. I was a foolish teen that didn't know there were different methodologies and techniques out there and procedures which may not be suitable for everyone. What I know now is from years of trial and error, in part due to my foolish younger days, and lots of systematic and empirical research and selection methods.

My most worthwhile surgery would be by 3rd rhino revision. I had extrusion from the previous rhino and this rhino was done in a non invasive manner which still yielded me the results i wanted. I wasn't a good candidate for mandible reduction for 2 reasons. I do not have a protruding bone structure. I also never wanted the shape of my jaw changed. I just wanted the width to be more narrow. At the time I never really understood that for my case cutting the jaw bone wouldn't reduce width. All it did was turn my beautiful angular jaw line (sobs i miss it :sad: but its irreversible) into a smooth curved one with barely any definition. I never got the width reduction I required because that was dependant on the jaw muscle. A simple treatment or 2 of botox would have gotten me exactly what I wanted. Instead I didn't do any research and stupidly dived into an invasive procedure i didn't understand at all.

For sure. Just like Botox. Wears off but it is an idea, seems to address the issue you mentioned for anyone researching this thread. Also, the pillow look sometimes is not the frequency but the amount. Again, just my knowledge based on where I live in the States.