BeautyHacker

Silicone Nose Implant - Can you see a "dent"? and does silicone last forever?

Hi forumers! I'm currently seeking a revision (had my primary nose job at Dream with Dr. Park (tipplasty + fat mixed with diced cartilage and injected into the nose bridge) but my bridge height completely absorbed disappeared 1 short month after surgery (though I was told retention rate would be 60-70%) and am unsure whether to go with silicone, dermis, or to try the fat graft mixed with diced cartilage again.

For those of you who have ultra soft silicone implants:

-Can you see a dent on the sides of your bridge?

as seen in this article here on "how to tell if someone has a nose implant": http://http://livelovedream.ca/how-to-tell-if-someone-has-a-nose-jo/

-Does the ultra soft silicone indeed have a "shelf life" and need to get replaced after 10-20 years?

-If you got an infection and got the implant removed, what did you replace the implant with? (Or did you resign yourself to your original bridge permanently?)

----------------

Any firsthand advice on the above would be great - thanks in advance, and looking fwd to supporting one another in our journeys. :smile:

Disclaimer: Just my opinion, take it with a pinch of salt and form your own conclusions:

Though I haven't had fat graft with diced cartilage for my nose, I don't think I would do it again if I were you. While good for certain areas, I think it's a bit unpredictable for the bridge area and you would not, in my opinion, get the best aesthetic result. Hyaluronic acid fillers are an alternative. You may be told that the retention rate is XYZ% but it's not as simple as that because of a multitude of reasons that range from whether or not you're a smoker for instance (that influences retention rate/lifespan of the fat graft) to the fat that was harvested and the doctor's technique.

There is no 'shelf life' with silastic/foreign implants. They are designed to be permanent. On the issue of extrusion, it depends on your skin type (thick or thin), the type of material used and its placement by your surgeon. All of these can inhibit the risk of extrusion.

On the subject of infections, if you were to suffer from an infection, it usually happens early on i.e. one week to one month after you've had the implant placed. As a general rule of thumb, the risk of infection tapers off as time goes on BUT there will always be a risk of infection, though rare. If you bump or graze your nose, causing a cut or wound in the skin which gets infected with bacteria, that may lead to an infection. If you contract an infection elsewhere in your body and the bacteria is able to get into your bloodstream, it can seed the implant.

I think that, while it pays to be aware of the risks and consequences, we should bear in mind that, as K Couture pointed out, the statistics for silicone implants do not differentiate between the old L-shaped and hard implants and the newer, softer I-shaped implants that are more commonly used today, particularly in Seoul. Bear in mind, also, that the revision rate in literature about rhinoplasty is said to be around 10% give or take (though some doctors will put it at 5-15%) and that some people may choose to get revisions because they aren't happy with the appearance and not because they had to get it out for medical reasons. There are some patients who have had the old hard implants in for 20 or so years and are only now starting to get them replaced and I think that's a good indication that you can wager, if the implant is placed correctly in accordance with your existing facial structure (and barring the risk of infection), it's possible for it to last you far longer than 20 years. That said, I'm no expert.

I've seen the diced cartilage and fat graft method work well on my friend but she only used it at the very top of her bridge to fill in the gap where her hump was. I think when used in mild situations like that and not for augmentation purposes its fine. But for individuals who have it in their head that they don't want anything "artificial" but require actual augmentations I would still suggest ultra soft silicone.

Shelf life of the older harder forms is around 10-20 I believe but not the softer forms. You also have to remember the softer forms, when coupled with ample placement technique, does not create strong pressure on your tissues the way the harder forms do.

Also I wouldn't all those dents lol. Like what noitsyou said, its contouring

Are all the current silicone implants considered "softer form"?

Thanks, KCouture! Appreciate your advice as always :smile:

Thanks CommonProject, Nilesy, and noitsyou for chiming in! That's reassuring that the "dent" is a myth and is just the product of contouring. (I don't want my nose to scream "I've had a nose job" to the trained eye even though I see nothing wrong with plastic surgery.)

Regarding infection, do you guys happen to know how this is typically dealt with when you have surgery oversees?

(Does the infection ever go away on its own or with meds? Or is removal absolutely requierd?

Do you need to pay (thousands) for a local surgeon to remove the implant ASAP? Or do you need to fly back to Korea to have it removed (hopefully free of charge, though you're out of luck with airfare and hotel costs again)?

What happens if you can't get days off to go to Korea again right away? Would it be OK to wait months without getting it removed?

Can you replace it with another implant immediately if infected?

Just trying to get an idea of how to deal with potential infection (even though I know the chances aren't high statistically) before I take the plunge. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
I'm planning on getting my nose bridge and tip lastly done. Which materials are best for nose bridge? Hard silicone, ultra soft silicone, diced cartilage with fat, rib cartilage....?

The nose bridge can only be raised minimally using cartilage...the best bet is to use silicon to achieve the height you want but be sure to go to a doctor that knows what he/she is doing because I had it done by a bad doctor and now need to have revision surgery.. :sad:((

Hi! I am not a fan of plastic surgery but I have a Korean friend who is addicted to it.
I asked her and she told me her experiences.
She said if you got infection at the tip of your nose, then in 1-2 weeks you can have revision right away.

But it is common to have revision 6 months after your first surgery because the doctor said it is better to wait until the scar tissue completely recover.

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I have a question for anyone with silicone in their nose.

- Can you guys still push your nose up? (like pig nose)
- If you touch the silicone on the bridge, can you move it out of place?
- If someone touches the silicone on the bridge, can they tell if it's silicone? Or will it feel like the actual nose bone?

Thanks

1) No. Unless Dynamic tipplasty is used but that also places limitations on tip projection
2) No. An implant when efficient placement technique is used will not move out of place
3) No. It won't feel like silicone.

I assume from your questions is that you seem to be paranoid of someone finding out you had a nose job. If so, then you should ask yourself this: Why on earth would someone go up to you and request you to do a piggy nose? Why would someone even specifically touch your bridge? A sane person would not do that lol......

Also a well done rhinoplasty is one that is natural BUT NOTICABLE. That is, there is visible improvement. When you come home from Seoul with a visible improvement to your nose, those you surround yourself with are bound to notice and then, they will know you had surgery. If no one notices any change.......well then it would mean 2 things:

1) You previously had a really really nice nose that got tweaked a little. Hence the nose still looks just as attractive as it was before. People cannot notice the change.
2) You had an unattractive nose which had such subtle improvement that it still looks unattractive. Hence people do not notice the change.

Thanks Kcouture. I don't really understand how an implant would stay in place. From the skin and tissues healing around it only I assume, since its not stitched to anything.

I'm asking for a friend since I did not need to use any foreign materials for my nose.

Also its common in Korea for friends to ask if you had your nose done and feel it. It might seem like an invasion of space and not so sane in other cultures, but I've personally experienced getting my nose touched... even on a first date. Not all Koreans are like this but living in Korea and being Korean-American myself, I've encountoured an alarming number of people who will bluntly ask if I've had work done or ask to touch, even on the first day of meeting.

Another question for you, or any members who have any knowledge but,

I'm 3 weeks post-op, I had an open rhinoplasty with a columellar strut in place. My columella is currently quite hard and swollen, but my columella doesnt look as raised up as I wanted it to be. Could the swelling of my columella be causing it to look a bit more droopy? Could it raise a bit more after some of the swelling subsides? I want less columellar show from the side view.

Thanks everyone and Kcouture