BeautyHacker

How to pay for the surgery in Korea? Bring cash, traveller check or credit card?

Just make sure it is not the 10% VAT return you get as a discount anyway :smile:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say it really depends. Some hosts may try to lure you to certain clinics and get you to do surgery there so they get paid for referral. This may result in higher quoted prices.
Some hosts may suggest you clinics popular among locals, be your translator and even bargain the price down for you. They even take good care of you during your recovery stage. It happened to someone from this forum and there was a post about it so do check it out. All the best for your surgery!

Hey I'm having the surgery in June and by then the VAT return thing is over as the Korean government is only implementing it as a trial run for a year. :sad:

Ah I see! Well, I already know which clinic I want and tbh my host seems like a busy man because according to the reviews, they never see him at all so hopefully it'll be fine haha

You're right as the VAT return for PS is valid until Dec 2017, however, this program has been extended for a several years already. Though extension through 2018 is not guaranteed, I believe there is a good chance it will be extended in 2018 as well as the government has been actively promoting itself as a medical hub. So my advice is to keep an eye out for this.

That would be great because I really don’t want to carry that much cash. I tried to negotiate a discount but I guess I failed. I’m probably just really bad at bargaining LOL

From what I have seen in my research many that have brought cash for PS have little issues in Korea. Been there also many times and felt Seoul was quite safe even when carrying much cash. If you want to get money from the ATM do take into account you will have to pay the service fee quite a few times, which can be costly.

As for bargaining, not sure what you mean. Do you mean getting discount via email? Usually discounts will be given during F2F consults. And also email discounts, I would doubt its usefulness, since the doctor will have to see you F2F I would imagine to really know what is needed.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, I've been to Korea many times and it is really safe but my issue is more about having to declare the amount if I bring more than $10k. I visited TFD this summer for a F2F consult and they quoted me a "fixed price" but I've seen some people on this forum paying a cheaper price.

Ah, I understand and now way around that problem. As for bargaining, what I have seen in my research is that other PS goers have tried to get quotes from other clinics as well and then get back to the clinic they want to bargain, so you can see how they react as it never hurts to try. Also summer is peak PS period, so logically their necessity to discount will be lower as well.

Yup, I agree. I’ll try to negotiate again when I go in June. Can’t wait for my surgery lol :smile:

This is great advise. Thank u.

I used my credit card for everything in SK (to get points partly but also ease of use). I only used Korean won to refill a subway/train/cab pass called Tmoney--you can use this card for both buses, trains, and cabs which is so nice!). I bought the first Tmoney card at the airport using my credit card, at a little store that I think was called CU which is by baggage claim--(there's a money change machine nearby to get some cash for refills on your Tmoney card at subway stations as needed).

I put $30 on my first Tmoney card. I took the subway from the airport to my airbnb which was located right next to a station (I did have to change trains once). The subway is so fast and easy if you don't mind navigating it yourself. Of course if you're staying in Gangnam, cabs are also a good bet. I often took cabs as well to the Rodeo section of Gangnam from my Airbnb, again using my Tmoney card. No worries about tips, etc. They put it through a credit-card type machine quickly and you're done. So it's nice to have the Tmoney card on hand. :smile:

When it gets low, the subway gates will let you know. Then you just run over to a machine and refill it with your Korean Won. :smile:

Wow thanks for the handy tip!! That card does sound super useful lol ;)

The T-Money card is very handy indeed and you can even use it to pay at the convenience stores in Korea. Just know that you need to buy the T-Money card and there is a small admin fee to pay when getting any remaining balance from your card. So if you are staying a shorter period it may be a little cheaper (not much though :P) to buy individual tickets instead.