BeautyHacker

Tax refund for Revised Rhinoplasty in Korea

Hello everyone,

I just did a revised rhinoplasty in Korea 2 days ago. The Clinic Consultant mentioned that it's tax refundable. But today he did a u-turn & said he made a mistake and that revised rhinoplasty is not eligible for tax refund. The clinic I went to is a pretty reputable one considering their high price relative to others.

Could I hear from those of you who've done revised rhinoplasty in Korea, if you managed to get tax refund? I've tried to call the Medical Korea Information Center but the receptionist hung up on me as she couldn't speak English or Mandarin.

My sis did under eye repositioning & double eyelid.. she was also told only double eyelid is tax refundable.

Appreciate your reply bro & sis! Thanks in advance!

Rgd,
Vic

As I know, you can get Tax refund. What is the name of clinic?
You can contact gorvernment and can check with them.
revised / primary surgery is ok. it is just excuse, they don't want to do it.
they do it and they made an excuse.

I had revision rhinoplasty in korea about two months ago and I got my tax refund. I don't think the type of surgery matters, only that the clinic is approved (which most of them are).

• 2 weeks later...
nah you can definitely get tax refund for revision rhino. All my friends managed to get it. There some procedures that are not claimable and those are procedure which are deemed as medical / non elective by the government. Im not 100 percent sure but i think for example if you do double eyelids and ptosis together, you can claim back for double eyelid but not the ptosis because it has not be on some list of approved procedures by the government. Thats what I been told anyway

• 1 month later...
the VAT is 10 percent. But when you get the money back its 7-8 or something like that because the rest goes to the government. Also depends on the procedure and how much you spent. You know those automated machines where you put your tax refund receipt in and money comes out? Yeah you can only use those machines if your expenditure is under a certain amount. (i can't remember the exact figure). And if you use those machines the money u get back is only 4-5 percent ish around there because the less you spend the less you get back. Its got nothing to do with the machine either. Those machines are just so ppl who spend a little don't need to waste time getting the receipt validated by the teller since the refund amount is low.

Thank you Kcouture!!

You're definitely are eligible for a tax refund as this program was extended till Dec 2017, as they want to further promote Korea as the go to place in Asia for medical tourism. You can find official information on this program at www.visitmedicalkorea.com under the tab useful info. You can see there that the refund is indeed 10%. So it seems that the clinic is not really truthful about this.

Indeed if you pay in cash then normally will not be eligible for a refund, so when bargaining just make sure to take this into account. If you pay in cash, I would say you should get more than 10% discount as you would get this anyway, so it's not really a discount from the clinic. Unless of course you would like to have the money right away to spend shopping of course ;)

cash payment has nothing to do with it. Ive paid in cash before and still gotten my tax refund. Why on earth would the government make a refund ineligible just because cash is used? The main thing is you need to get that tax refund receipt. Regardless of payment method. After that simply go to the airport and give the receipt to the tax refund counter and get your money back.

K couture, you're correct :smile: I think my previous was not completely clear, so let me try again.

You will typically read that forummers who pay cash will get a discount. If that's the case you must ask the clinic whether you still get a receipt or not. If you do not get a receipt then of course you will not get a tax refund. This is what I meant in my previous post that basically the clinic is giving you a discount that you are already eligible for. Only difference is that you get the money from the clinic directly.

In the case that you do get a receipt from a clinic, then go for it :smile: as it would mean you get a discount + 10% VAT refund.

So important to know what you are getting in terms of discount when paying in cash.