BeautyHacker

Anyone who recieved the "No plant procedure" at GNG, please leave your experience here!

I know GNG is known for using autologous materials. I think this is great because I've always wanted to get a natural result without having to back for a revision. However, I am worried about the warping and asorption rate. Does this mean that the bridge height gets reduced over time? Silicone implants are commonly used among Asians, but there are so many risks associated with such implants such as extrusion, infection & migration. What do you guys think? Autologous materials or synthetic implants?

I think its diced cartilage in fascia wrap. It is more commonly performed in the States for dorsal augmentation. I think itt is totally dependent on the surgeon and your needs, but I have read that the fascia helps seal it in so there isnt as much absorption rate. I would see a revision rhinoplasty surgeon competent in both techniqies tho (my bet is dr. seong). but I believe diced cartilage wrapped in fascia lasts long and gives a very nice result.

This came up on google when I looked up the method. Hope it helps!!
http://gngplasticsurgery.blogspot.kr/2017/06/gng-i-want-to-get-rhinoplasty.html

Yes I also contacted GNG through Kakao and she said the cartilage won't warp because it is diced, but it does have a 1-2% absorption rate. Do you think we can use donor's rib cartilage and donor's fascia for this procedure? And do you think the result will last forever, do we have to go for a revision? Haha thanks for the link! That's where I found out about this no plant procedure too!

I had a look at their website, but it doesn't go into tremendous detail about their techniques.

I don't think they're doing diced cartilage fascia grafts. The website mentions ground cartilage (which I'm thinking is crushed cartilage, which is not the same as diced), and there's no mention of fascia. The survivability of fascia-wrapped cartilage is lower than that of bare cartilage. In turn, diced cartilage survives better than crushed cartilage. However, bare diced cartilage is more likely to show external irregularities, which might explain GNG's preference for crushed cartilage, since smooshier, amorphous cartilage is easier to form and shows up smoother on the surface.

I'm not sure, but 1-2% absorption sounds... optimistic. The problem with diced cartilage isn't that resorption occurs, otherwise you could simply overcorrect. It's that it occurs unevenly, making the end result unpredictable.

They also do dermal grafts, carved rib cartilage, and acellular dermal matrix implants.

(I'm also guessing that the models they show for "no implants" totally have implants.)

Yes I agree the site is somewhat misleading. Laying the diced cartilage on top of bridge without wrapping it with dermis will lead to some bumpiness and unevenness. But if you scroll a little lower, you will notice that it says "Noplant Rhinoplasty uses fine ground cartilage powder covered with dermis, the possibility of absorption is very low and shock-resistant." Because it is covered in dermis, this will eliminate the bumpiness and unevenness. I didnt’ notice it said "ground cartilage” until you mentioned it haha. Grounding or dicing the cartilage will make it less likely to warp, but absorption will be higher. I linked a screen shot of our Kakao chat where she mentioned that the implant is diced cartilage and is wrapped in human tissue.

The consultant isn't saying it's wrapped in human tissue, is s/he? Just that the "implant" is made out of it?

But, hmm... I think this might just be a translation issue. The dermis and fascia are different things. They might be referring to ADM, which is made from human skin. AlloDerm is probably the most well-known brand. The GNG website mentions MegaDerm, which is a local Korean version.

GNG's Korean website is more detailed than the English version. I'll see if they go into any specifics there.

I think making the implant out of human tissue mean that it is wrapped in human tissue. Oh! What’s the difference between fascia and dermis? I thought they were the same. In your opinion, which one is better? Wait, theres a brand for human skin?

Yeah their Korean and Chinese website does have a lot more details, its a shame that I can’t read Chinese or Korean.

Fascia is connective tissue. Dermis is skin.

I think GNG uses acellular dermal matrices and broadly refers to them as "dermis." Most ADMs are made from the skin of dead people, or cow fetuses, or pigs. Calling it dermis allows them to side-step the gross factor involved. It is human tissue... just from a dead person.

ADMs is rhinoplasty is relatively new, but promising. It's mostly used for breast reconstruction. Basically, it provides the structural scaffolding while your body is healing, which your body eventually replaces with collagen and blood vessels.

Interesting twocupcakes. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Am I right in assuming that you're in the biomedical sciences field?

Wow! Are you like some sort of biologist or something? Actually, they should keep their updates more consistently. In one blog it says they are using dermis, in another blog, they said they are using fascia. I don't even know which one is true. Can we use donated fascia/dermis and rib cartilage? Do you think they will cause infection.... (after all, it's not my own body's materials).

Hey so I think I had the noplant procedure at GNG. Really happy with the results. Although you should be realistic as you'll never get a perfectly laser straight bridge like you can with a silicone implant. But if you are a freak like me when it come to being scared of having anything not made of me inside my nose I think it's a good choice.