BeautyHacker

fat graft versus fillers? anyone know anything about permanent fillers in sk?

Personally, I prefer fillers because I don't like taking out fat from my body.
Also I hear that fat grafting differs on the survival rate and I didn't want to take my chances.
Besides, I didn't want to take many days off work because I would be swollen if I had fat graft.
I heard permanent fillers may cause infection after few years so I had restylane.
I guess you should choose the procedure depending on your preference and situation.
Good luck! and please share your experience with us!

IMO I would never consider permanent facial fillers. If you're set on fillers, go for a temporary one like restylane or juvederm. Reason being is that as you age, your face will change and shift, and any permanent filler will persist and may look awkward or unnatural. An injection of permanent filler you do to your cheekbone may migrate downwards, creating an lumpy midface contour. Permanent fillers also carry a higher chance of allergic reaction and granulation tissue formation.

I personally opted for fat because I accept and can deal with the risks, and am able to do a second top up (which I feel anyone who does a fat graft should plan for). I wanted to achieve more permanent improvement with my own autologous tissue. How long the fat lasts is anyone's guess, but we shall see.

Agreed with cute_lil_fiend about avoiding permanent fillers.

I'd consider temporary filler for spot touch ups to test a new look like increasing nose bridge or chin projection. To restore volume in large areas of your face like forehead or cheeks, FG makes sense since it's rather inexpensive in SK. You'd need to use a ton of filler to fill such large areas and the cost would likely end up being more than FG.

Yes. my friend gets filler every year but she only get restylane because juederm or restylane is the most safe filler.

If you're thinking about fillers for the nose, I think it depends on whether you've had rhinoplasty before. I think nose fillers may not be recommended for a done nose because of the increased risk that blood circulation would be compromised, leading to among other things necrosis of the skin. I've an implant in my nose and wanted to replace it with fillers, but was advised by almost all the clinics I emailed against it. It's in the interests of the clinics to push for (more expensive) surgery though so the risk may be low, but is one to think about especially if your skin is thin and sensitive.

Did you remove the implant? Or is the implant still there? If the implant is still there then fillers would be very risky because of infection if the needle touches the implant and seeds it with bacteria. And if the implant has already been removed, like you said, the blood supply has already been compromised due to scarring after rhino.

I agree although I wish that wasn't the case. My implant is still sadly in and it seems I can only either replace it or have a dermis graft if I want to look natural. It's impossible to return to what I was before because of the alarplasty.

Same situation with me. Alarplasty is literally the part of Asian rhino that is easy to f up. If they excise too much it can never be fixed. I honestly think it should be avoided in most situations unless your alars are super wide. It's so easy to make them look unnatural, too narrow, or scar badly.
Were yours done too excessively?

I'm curious about fat injections -- I've seen very nice results posted in this forum. Is it possible that fat injected into the face could migrate as well over time (sag) due to gravity? I just wonder if that would require more lifting. I could use a facelift (especially lower,) but I was wondering about fat, too.

Our skin gets less firm and elastic as we age, so yes that's a possibility. We lose facial volume as we age as well so maybe they cancel each other out? Even if you're young, if so much fat is injected and it's injected just below the skin so your skin is the only supporting structure (as opposed to injected below the muscle), it could sag as there's a limit to how much your skin can support without sagging. A good doc will consider supporting structure when adding volume so that doesn't happen though.

This reminds me because of the Korean preference to get rid of strong cheekbones with zygoma reduction and if combined with fat graft, I've seen a few before/afters where the ball of the cheek now looks like it's at the level of the face between the nose and mouth, so it's sorta like a hound dog look. I think that could be due to fat migrating downwards.

What you said makes a lot of sense, Gats. I didn't realize fat was injected at different levels, but I see the reasoning behind it. Maybe that's also why "only skin" facelifts fail, similar to only putting fat directly under the skin. I guess a good Dr. realizes this and puts the fat under the muscle, even bone as well as under the skin from what I have read and what you are saying. The fat graft results are so impressive on the people I've seen here on the forum. I'm so glad when people are brave enough to share photos!

I can't really tell (have no aesthetic eye at all) but I've had comments that my nose was too small and pinched even after my first surgery (only tipplasty) so I guess it's a combination of the excessively high implant and overdone alarplasty. Where did you get your first surgery at?