BeautyHacker

double jaw surgery at TFD: Storytime!

Disclaimer: I blabbered on quite a bit so there’s a TLDR at the end.

Hello friends!

Back after a month in Seoul. I had epi/des/ptosis correction and the dreaded double jaw surgery done during my time there. And because I have a reason to do so, I’m going to share my whirlwind experience and some sage words of plastic surgery wisdom. I’ll be leaving out the eye stuff as i’m sure there’s enough eyelid surgery literature in this forum. But if you must know, it went well but I had little expectations going in.

Before I left, my mind was already made up on The Face Dental but I set up a couple of other consultations so as to have a contingency plan. I went to Mega and YK because they quoted lower prices for 2jaw and are near to apgujeong-yeok. But there are reasons why they’re cheaper. Some notes from the consultations: not done by omf surgeon, lacking B&As thus experience, less equipped for 2j, a doctor sharpied his monitor for crying out loud. That being said, the proposed surgery plan was essentially the same as The Face Dental. I wouldn’t go there if you have jaw/bite problems like malocclusion and tmj, but if you’re considering 2j for purely aesthetic reasons and are on a shoe-string budget, I wouldn’t rule them out.

Now on to the meat ’n taters, The Face Dental. The place is set up like an open concept dentist office with a few rooms. The staff were really sweet and nice but they don’t speak English. So some google translating later, they took my pictures and ct scan. Then off to meet the omf surgeon, Dr Lee, who thankfully speaks my tongue. He ran my ct scan through a modeling program and created a rough surgery plan on what he thinks should be done. My upper jaw had to be rotated and lower jaw pushed back to fix my malocclusion. I then requested for a mild mandible shave and genioplasty. After the image rendered, I was absolutely floored. But of course, how your soft tissue settles plays a huge part in the final result. Age is the primary factor here and Dr Lee meekly claimed I’m slightly over the ideal age. I’m 27. He then went through a large catalog of impressive B&As. I was sold. He went over some post-surgery information like aftercare and side effects. Nothing too out of the ordinary but at this point I was just lost in the thought of my future face. Next stepped in a lady I think the staff called “boss” or “owner”. We talked price. Not in English, but she had a “translator” on the line. What she quoted was more than bargain bins but what I would say is reasonable all things considered. After ironing out the fine details, I booked the earliest surgery date which was the next week. I went on a Tuesday. This kind of messed the 4 weeks 2j patients are recommended to stay in the country. But they needed time to make the dental wafer and in my case, check with my previous clinic on a medical condition. I think it takes about 3 days to make the wafer so plan accordingly. I came in the next day, to get molds and measurements taken, featuring the medieval-torture-device-looking facebow. Don’t worry, nothing hurt…yet.

So with nothing planned for the rest of the week, I had eye surgery.

Finally, surgery day. I changed to a robe and waited in the recovery ward. Flipped channels on the tele. Cool as a cucumber. Then the elevator bell rang. Came flooding out were a whole host of people hollering as they wheel a poor soul to his ward. I took a glance at his face. Now I HAD to tell myself I’m cool as a cucumber. I blanked out the rest of the time till they called for me. I met with Dr Lee to go over the surgery plan again. Everything seemed in order except he planned to do a more aggressive mandible shave. Just because that’s how he does it. I was too wrapped up in the moment and wasn’t too fussed, so I let it slide. This something I’ve noticed about how things are apparently done in Korea. They have a process and you don’t mess with it. I was asked not to question but trust the process by one surgeon and told explicitly not to speak during a consultation with another surgeon. Massive ego trip. At least Dr. Lee did it in a polite manner. Went up to the ward to drop off my phone, remove my piercings and say my last prayers. I ran into Dr Lee again in the elevator and he gave me some comforting words before going for a smoke. I rode the elevator all the way down to the operating theater. As I laid on the table, I was totally at ease. Not my first time under GA. It was cake the first time, so will this. They stuck an IV in me and the anesthesiologist had me breathe through a mask. 2 deep breaths and I was out.

Wake up, szechuandippingsauce! wake up! so effing annoying. just let me sleep. With my eyes shut, I felt ragdolled around and onto the bed in my ward. I didn’t feel pain but face felt entirely stretched out like a balloon about to pop. I dared only glance at my reflection in the mirror. I looked a mess.

As I drifted in and out of dreamland, I found what kept waking me was my inability to breathe. Also, not the best time discover my huge fear of asphyxiating. My air passages were blocked from swelling and/or bleeding so I was gasping and wheezing for air. Then I thought about the damage that a lack of oxygen to the brain could cause. Panic attack incoming. So I buzzed the nurse to suction the blood and it provided a temporary but much needed relief. This pattern continued and I was doing relatively alright. I think I had excessive bleeding due to doing 2j along with mandible and genioplasty.

Evening rolled around, and the night shift nurse came to introduce herself. She spoke English. Great! Well…not great when it turns out she’s a condescending cranky B****. Every time I would buzz her to suction the blood, she would do so with great annoyance and reprimanded me for drooling and not sleeping. Most of my face was numb so I didn’t know when I was drooling and how can I sleep when I’m choking on blood. I eventually stop buzzing her when I couldn’t take anymore verbal insults. I tried coughing out the blood through this tiny gap between my teeth if not just swallowing it. I didn’t sleep at all that night.

2nd day. Shift change. Thank god! And all the other nurses were really nice. They called me down for a ct scan and Dr Lee removed something in my mouth so I could open it wider. Breathing became easier and I finally got some sleep. They gave me some canned milk drink for meals but I passed on those. Swallowing was so difficult and painful, I couldn’t even drink water. My throat wasn’t dry though. Maybe from swallowing all that blood. Nothing much else happened the 2nd day. I was discharged by noon the next day with some crushed up medicine. It was nasty and wouldn’t stay down. I would have asked for them in pill form had I known better.

At my accommodation, I had to feed myself liquids with a syringe but most came out as drool. I’d lost most of my appetite after surgery so it wasn’t so bad. But that night, I dreamt about pizza and reality hit me hard. It’ll be months till I get to have some, or anything else I love. I have a very passionate relationship with food, but we’re breaking up. 2j simply isn’t facial contouring+. It’s major surgery that takes months out of your life. There are tons of jaw surgery blogs out there. I implore you read up on the recovery process before having surgery. I was entirely uninformed and wouldn’t have it done had I known. I had a functional bite and my malocclusion wasn’t so severe. I would just have had vline done, maybe rhino. There are ways to “camouflage” certain flaws in your profile. But this is the road I’ve taken and there’s no turning back.

During my 3 week recovery period, I had checkups with Dr Lee every other day which includes a very minimal anti-swelling treatment. You sit in a dental chair for 20 mins and they shine a light on your face. Swelling peaked on Day 3 and gradually subsided after the first week. After a week or two, he’ll let you remove the elastics, which are hooked to screws in your gums, and the dental wafer. That means you get soft foods. But it all depends on how your bite is adapting. I think he may have expedited the process due to my truncated stay there. Remember the poor soul I saw on my surgery day, I saw him on my final day there. Looks entirely normal, not a hint of surgery while there I am hidden behind my face mask I dare not leave home without. The good news is that you’ll get used to your new restrictions and things get easier from there. You really have to stay positive to get through it. Admittedly, I wasn’t the most positive.

I am currently 1 month post-op, I lost a bunch of weight. 54kg to 49kg. 119lbs to 108lbs. I’m 169cm/ 5’6.5”. But my face makes me look overweight as I still have quite a bit of residual swelling. So it would be unfair to say how happy I am with the results just yet. Maybe in the coming days or weeks, it will sort itself out. I’m still holding out hope. I will update again next month.

P.S. Shoutout to those who wished me well during my recovery. Your kind words brightened up my day and helped me get through my time there.

PM or Kakao me if you have questions
ID: szechuansauce

TLDR;
Had 2j at TFD
Korean surgeons don’t really do custom requests.

Day 1: Hell
Week 1: Lots of drooling
Weeks 2-3: Soft foods
Week 4: Swelling persists

Wished I read up on the recovery process from jaw surgery blogs
Wouldn’t recommend 2j unless you have a serious jaw problem

My recovery is slower than normal so
too early to judge results but
overall positive experience at TFD and
would recommend it

Thanks for sharing your experience. Two jaw surgery is definitely a very risky and major surgery. All of the posts and reviews make it seem like its a breeze when it really isn't. Your realistic review of it was exactly what I expected it to be like. I mean.. just getting out your wisdom teeth is a struggle, why would fixing your jaw be any less terrible? I also recall the choking on my blood when I woke up from my wisdom tooth surgery, its horrifying.

How are you liking your vline surgery so far? And your eyelids? Did you get an eyelid revision or was this your primary? I am going to Seoul in December to get an eyelid revision and am currently searching up reputable clinics for it. Any advice you can provide for me would be much appreciated :smile: Can you please PM me where you went for your eyelid surgery and the price you paid?

Thanks!

Congrats on your surgery! I hope you recovering well and have smooth one. Sorry to hear abt that unpleasant nurse. Have you told Dr Lee abt it?
I'm also around your age .. Wanting to do vline and 2jaw but still got so much to think about, did Dr Lee mentioned about what technique he used to avoid sagging?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Szechuan sauce thanks for the honest review. I did am online consultation with dr lee and he recommended 2 jaw and genioplasty. Although he said I could do genioplasty first. And when I have time 2 jaw later. I like him as he was personal

• 2 weeks later...
hello dear. take good care of yourself. some tips for u
1) drink smoothies (i brought my blender the other time)
2) dont use a straw when drinking water, slowly pour water into your mouth tilted upwards. its easier and less likely to choke. takes abit of practicng, like controlling your swallowing muscles
3) throw away ice packs and go for lots of walk
4) if you finished your anti-biotics, and you have spare cash, you can consider "after-plus" is some post-op supplement with biomelain and stuff to help with swelling
5) probably after 1.5months (i went when i was post 1 month), check out Siloam Spa, do some hot spring bath that intensively help to promote blood circulation. A tip is that, after ur whole body is pulsating with heat from the bath, shock your face with some cold water (the best is to soak ur whole face). also, they have an infa-red room, the light similar to the useless deswelling treatment they offer in the clinic. that infa-red room in SIloam is 24hours u can sleep under the light if you want!!

give your face another 6 months then all of the swelling will go down. post 2-3months you will still look chubby. but its okay, it looks like free fat-graft nonetheless.

take care and god bless.

she quoted 5.4 million won. They are having September holiday now. I believe so try calling agai. The face dental is cheaper, 4.4 million won. Dr Lee is very nice and someone I knew went to him.

Hi it seems you have a genuine bite and pain issue. So for you it is definitly a functional problem. I know a friend of mine she had 2 jaw surgery and she said that the initial 3 days is more of a pressure pain but after that there really isn't a lot of pain that is coming from the bone it looks worse than it actually feels. Other than looking like a chipmunk and not able to speak too much . She feels fine at 16 day. Also I believe taking arnica and prepping physically will help with overall recovery. I have spoke to 2 person who wished they have done it sooner. So if it is really a functional issue you should consider addressing it as it will improve your quality of life. This is my 2 cent worth of opinion.

Thanks for the replies! I thought this was a dead thread so I didn't check back.
Best to contact me via pm or kakao if have questions. Anywho...

2 months post-op update

I think by now swelling has gone down as much as it can. But puffiness still reside in my lower cheeks. But it doesn't get to me that much anymore.
What really bothers me is how unnatural my face moves when I speak. The way my chin crinkles and how surrounding muscles contort in all the wrong ways. Basically, my face muscles have yet to adapt to their new positions. There is still lower lip incompetence which means more lower teeth exposure. I get electric nerve jolts now and then, but most areas are still numb.
Maybe I need to be more patient as there is still healing to be done. But permanence of these side effects are a very real possibility. One needs to understand that such risks exists and it's actually quite common.
As for the my general appearance, it wouldn't say it made me more pretty, but rather removed bad angles from my face. It added pleasantness as opposed to beauty. The big plus for me is that it more or less fixed my bite, and hopefully I'll get a better smile, just have to wait for the muscles to cooperate.

I think the perception of 2jaw being the rolls royce of cosmetic surgery, something that will make anyone more beautiful is largely flawed. The promise of a dramatic transformation put out by Korean advertising only really works on extreme cases.

So I say go for it if you really need it. Otherwise, don't. You are putting your appearance at unnecessary risk.

One word about tfd. It's a very good choice for 2jaw if you are on a tight budget, but what you get is really a no frills experience. Not to say it's a bad thing, just depends on what you're looking for.

Thanks! I could speak within days, but how much could be understood is entirely different.
I went to yk for my eyes. It was nearby and he was willing to do some sort of incision whereas other places weren't. It turned out very well, can't complain.