BeautyHacker

Double Jaw surgery and V-line numbness?

Hi, I've been reading just about everything on the plastic surgeries I want/need. I've been aiming for a double jaw surgery/v-line (since my face is asymmetric and my jaw is pretty messed up and hurts/pops sometimes. I can't really open my mouth sometimes.). I had prepared myself mentally for the surgeries, watching videos and reading about what goes on and after care, however... One thing really bothers me, enough to make me reconsider these surgeries. The numbness.

Can anyone with previous plastic surgery(s) tell me how the numbness heals? I'm wondering because I cut the top of my thumb before and had it reattached. It does not feel good at all. While the nerves had healed a little, it does not feel "normal". It feels like a slab of meat is attached to my thumb and feels like a separate foreign object that has nerves. When I press down on it a little, I can actually feel the difference on my normal thumb then the attached part of it.

My question is, after the surgery(s), will it feel like there will be a slab of meat on top of bone/muscle, or will it feel a little normal afterwards(if the nerves haven't been damaged too much)?

• 2 weeks later...
I havent had double jaw yet so unfortunately I cant answer your question as to how it would feel. But numbess after jaw surgery is very common. Typically, you feel numbness on certain parts of your face after surgery for average of 6 months. Numbness can heal before then but normal is at least 6 months.

I agree with happy nonsense. I've recently had v line, not 2 jaw. It's been day 13 of post op and it's not numbness I feel but just a little ach because of the swelling. When I move my jaw I can feel it move and I feel everything in my face it just aches which makes sense lol. It is true, my doctors say it takes a full 6 months for the full numbness to go away but I feel everything! I feel when I roam my tough across my cheek and mouth, I feel my skin when I scratch my lower face, I feel the movement when I move my jaw around. My gums, around my stiches are the only thing i can say that are partially numb. It doesn't feel like a slab of meat however.

Everyone heals differently though and a big factor is how good your doctor is to perform a safe procedure that doesn't put you in danger of facial nerve damage.

• 1 month later...

How are you Sarahdomm now? As I know, we had V Line with same doctor :smile:

I am in the same boat, op. Ive got underbite and broad mandible, which would require double jaw and v line. it appears that most ppl would have nerves back, may not be all, but most nerves back. however wut really worries me is the skin sagging. it seems to be inevitable that the skin sagging would occur soon or later after the bond cutting surgery.

Think it's important to go to a maxillofacial surgeon now..
I did mine with plastic surgeon it's ok but I think the trend now is to have bone surgery with maxillofacial surgeon
anyways, at first you'll feel numb but over time you'd feel tinkling sensations; it's pretty same feeling I think