BeautyHacker

Experiencing zygoma + mandible reduction and genioplasty at GNG

Hi little forum ~
I've never posted here but I've lurked for I think nearly 5 years. I am not Asian but became aware of Asian cosmetic surgery when I was still a teenager. I grew to really hate my face at a young age and it completely effected my whole life. I stopped leaving the house because I felt so ugly. So of course when I saw all the Korean surgeries, I was mesmerized and swore to get it someday. This forum gave me all kinds of information about it and I want to thank you girls a lot for always trying to help each other, warn each other when need be, everything else.
I finally went to Seoul for v-line and zygoma reduction earlier this year. Though there is still some swelling, I think enough time has passed for me to make an honest assessment of the results. Also, I see a few girls here planning to consult with GNG soon so I want to help in any way I can.

Over the years I considered many different clinics, most seriously EverM (who I would have consulted with had I know how to get a hold of them, does anyone know if their English support has progressed at all?). But I became set on GNG after seeing one girl who had a drastic change after surgery there. It was incredible and kind of scary but exactly the change I wanted to see, and I appreciated how GNG was very accommodating to foreign and English patients. The process of online consultation to in person consultation was very easy with them and GNG ended up being the only clinic I consulted with. I nearly arranged last minute consults with Girin and TFD, but my in person consultation with GNG went further than I expected and I was so sure I would get a big change like that girl that I paid for it on the spot and my surgery was booked for the next morning.

During the consultation, we went over what changes could be made to my face. There was a lot of talk of symmetry and improving my chin and cheekbones. Not too much talk on mandible change or actually creating a "v" shape, which is what I wanted most of all, and I think this turned out to be a huge mistake on my part for not emphasizing that. I did give them an example of my ideal face shape that showed a woman with a very slim v-shaped jawline, and I went over it a bit with the consultants. I didn't speak much with the surgeon, but I believed based on the picture we were all on the same page about what I wanted. The consultation overall was quite fast and efficient and they were really willing to work with me on price. I felt that they did want to help make me prettier and I still believe that to be genuine.

When I woke up after the surgery on the recovery floor, I was told it went well. One of the consultants (the one who calculates the price, can't remember her name) gave me a little rub on the arm because I was in such rough shape, it made me want to cry because it seemed like a thing a mother would do and my own mother had no idea what I was actually doing. I stayed at GNG for 2 nights and part of the 3rd day. The nurses were great. I think only 1 spoke English and she told me before I was discharged that they were all worried about me because I wasn't really eating and didn't have a lot of strength. So maybe recovering was slower for me than most patients.

My final doctor visit when scheduled for 1 week post op. The week of waiting was kind of hard and lonely. I didn't have anyone to talk to (no one knows about the surgeries) and I couldn't eat much because I was so low on money and could hardly open my mouth, so again, it was just a really lonely week. For comfort, I thought of the guy I love back home and how I might finally have the confidence to talk to him soon.

When I went back for the last appointment, they gave me some deswelling treatment and the surgeon showed me some x rays of my face. It did look quite impressive. He seemed pleased. A few days later, I flew back home in what was hopefully the worst flight of my life because the guy next to me quite literally slept on me most of the 12 hour trip. The only person who really noticed I was swollen was my mother, who I saw nearly 2 weeks post op. And that leads to what I've really been wanting to say. I know I'm still a bit swollen, but not nearly swollen enough for there to be some big change left waiting to be seen. More or less, I think the face I'm seeing now is my 'final' result. I'm not happy with it. That's maybe putting it very lightly. There are some improvements, mostly from the side (my jawline does look less square from an angle, my chin was definitely pushed forward), and my cheekbones do protrude far less from the sides, but overall I look very much the same. I don't look at all like I just spent $12,000 on surgeries. The other day, I was leaving my job and saw my reflection on the exit door and felt horrified because the face looking back at me was so familiar: I had seen her 2 months ago, before I ever went to Korea and spent almost every dime I had to not see her again. I cried all the way home and every night since.

I don't think I'm really upset with GNG. Overall, I have a positive feeling about their hospital still. They were friendly, simple and genuine. No bad side effects (except oilier skin? kind of weird), no clicking noises or sagging. I'm more upset with myself. I worry there was a real lack of communication on my part, because I was so shy and didn't know what to say when I was actually there. I've wanted these surgeries for years and to actually have been there, I wasn't ready for. As I said, they talked a lot about changing my chin and cheekbone protrusion, and those areas have improved a bit from surgery. "v line" seemed less emphasized, and that was probably my fault because I should have made it clearer that's what was most important to me.

I waited to write this 'review' because I was hoping it would just take a bit more time for the real results to come in. But I'm afraid that time has passed. So I hope, for any of you still reading, please be really clear with your surgeon about what you want. You need to make sure they are on the same page, especially if you are speaking to them through a translator because some nuance of language gets lost, I think. I hope I can be of help to anyone who has any questions, I plan to stick around here for at least a few months to give any updates (trust me, if anything exciting happens, I'll write about it) or answer any questions and you can send me a message for my kakao id to talk there too. I can be with you every step of the way if you need me, even if it's late at night. I don't want any of you to be as alone as I've been.
* Sorry that this post is so long! Sorry, thank you for sticking with me if you read it all

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey @pspi !

I'm sorry to hear that you feel nothing has changed in your appearance after FC surgery. I totally understand what you're feeling!

We are all sold the dream that plastic surgery will dramatically change us into the goddesses that we envy in advertisements and on screen, and we do not fully realize the possible complications and disappointment that lies ahead in recovery.

However, on a positive note, please tell your yourself that you are thankful that you escaped death and the never-ending horrors of a botched surgery, which is worth paying the $12,000 for, because you would have paid much more trying to remedy the mistakes that could lead to a downward spiral.

People are often critical and devastated with the little details and mere millimeters that do not meet their expectations after surgery, when they do not fully appreciate that surgeons work very hard in pressured conditions to keep their patients alive on the operating table, as well as trying to create the perfection that we obsess over needlessly. Myself included!

Cry it all out, then pull yourself up, move on and get back to work earning your next $12,000 and think about better ways to spend it and make yourself feel good: Nice clothes, luxury makeup, pampering skincare, new hairstyle, gym membership, memorable trips & experiences, a new car or even a puppy!

If you still want to try plastic surgery again, maybe consider fat graft to see it will achieve the face shape you want, but be aware that you'll need topups to make a difference.

Also make sure you give yourself a bigger financial safety net next time, for emergencies and for the nutrition that is crucial to your recovery process!

Big hugs and good luck!

Hi, my heart really goes out to you. I'm also someone who is quite shy (and not being able to speak up has gone against me so many times in my life) so I see where you are coming from. I really appreciate how level-headed your post is (and that is such a rare quality) and thanks for all the advice you have given! I would appreciate it if you could keep us updated on how the results of your zygoma reduction develops - I'm interested in getting zygoma reduction but I'm worried about the sagging (and how long and difficult the recovery process is).

I know the result isn't exactly what you wanted but at least at the end of the day, all you lost is money. Also, maybe to other people, your facial features have improved a lot - I mean, we are always more critical of ourselves than others are of us.

I really hope you feel better about yourself - not just about the results of the surgery but also confidence in your own skin. I agree with the above poster - if you do get surgery again (which I would probably advise against because it is so risky in terms of not being able to get the desired result and also potential complications), please save enough money to be able to take care of your own health!

I can definitely relate to you, my look affected my life so much as well. At least u were able to fulfill your dream. In my case, Im already old yet I still cant save money for my PS.

I think u should wait few more months for the final result.

Please do not regret having the procedure done:smile:
You went all that way, experienced something that you had wanted for such a long time and woke up healthy and alive after.
Money can always be earned back, experiences builds character.
You will know this for later on and you will speak up then:smile:

I have had the same procedures as you, still fresh and swollen.
I do not think I will be able to see the final result until maybe a year from now.
The amount of swelling and healing for each patient varies greatly.
I just hope to be able to speak and for some of the swelling to fade by the end of the month:doh:

Wishing you the best pspi

hey pspi,

thank you for sharing this, it’s so important. i am so sorry you feel this way, & also entirely relate to it. i get overwhelmed by doctors during consultation, and since i don’t know muscle/bone structure as well as they do i think ok maybe they know best? what do i know abt surgeries vs someone who does it almost everyday?

on the other hand:
-i went to my friend’s place last weekend and she was showing me pics of vline + zygoma post surgery at 30 days, 90 days and a year and you could see just how much swelling she still had & how much her look softened a year later. cheer up! the last 10%-20% does make a difference.
-it’s important to be on conservative side for zygoma too as too much reduction leads to sagging.
-remember not to underestimate that your surgery went well, and that you’re healing well so far! vline + zyg isn’t easy personally i’d rather the surgeon err on the side of more conservative, as GNG did in your case. think of it as paying $12k for a safe, good surgery :smile: i think it was kcouture who mentioned in her thread that surgery is more like a process.. not many people get the look they want immediately (either because they better understand what they want, or better understand what procedures are best to get it) and that’s really ok!
(-one point for the clinic: if a patient did not mention v line and the surgeon gave them a vline, they would likely be upset.)
-finally echoing what the other people said above.. $12k a lot of money but people throw that away on worse things. you can earn it back, spend that new money on yourself/other things important to you! we all grow wiser every day~

i agree with motty26. i think its too soon to tell and like a lot of the ladies here on tpf, its really hard to be patient with the results. i've read and seen a lot of blog stories and facial contour results don't show 100% until a year later. so please be patient and stay positive :smile:

Thank you all for the comforting words. I'll try to be positive. Suppose it's possible that there is more swelling than I think and more will change with my mandible area in the coming months, but I'm not so sure. I would love to eat my words about it, of course, so we will see...

I should clarify better... of the 3 procedures, 2 have produced visible improvement. So in that sense, combined with having gone through it without complication, the surgery was successful. I admire Dr Choi's skill and all the staff I encountered at GNG. I maintain that a lot of it could be my fault for being unclear.

Of course! I actually have quite a few things to say about zygoma reduction already. It's kind of funny - I was the least interested in zygoma reduction but I think it turned out the best. I don't think that is a part of your face that swells much so the results are perhaps more immediate. My zygoma protruded from the sides, but not forward and they weren't very big, so it was a matter of cutting some of the bone there to make the sides of my face smoother.

I think the recovery from zygoma reduction is the hardest of the big 3 facial contouring surgeries. It's the one that really makes it hard to open your mouth much or chew. For me (everyone's recovery might be a little different and unique), my cheekbones still feel very fragile. It's something I'm constantly aware of because if I open my mouth too much, even to smile, my cheekbones will start to ache. A few times I yawned, laughed or chewed too much and felt a kind of pop in the bones there that is more uncomfortable/stressful than painful. I was told the protrusion was worse on my left side so more bone was cut from there to achieve good symmetry. Because of that, my left cheekbone now is much more sensitive than my right, which has given me little trouble since week 1 outside of a few aches. So how much you have cut is a big deal (less is better with this procedure). I was given a head wrap you tie to the top and back of your head to wear on and off all day ("1 hour on, 1 hour off", the nurses said) for up to 2 weeks post surgery. It seemed more for keeping your cheekbones firmly in place because they ached more than my jaw while wearing it. At 4 weeks I could start eating more solid things like toast, though my chewing still had to be slow and I have to avoid trying to push around food in my mouth. This makes a lot of dry food worse to eat, even if you are still able to chew them (like soft cookies). Finding out what foods you are ready for takes some trial and error so be especially careful and slow with the first bite of any food, the resistance from your cheekbones will tell you if it's ok. It gets better mostly every day (some days are more sensitive than others, can never really predict that) but it's better to stay very careful about any opening of your mouth or contact to your cheekbones, even when washing your face.

So I would say be prepared for a soft diet and maintaining gentle facial movement/minimal facial contact for several months. Even little things, like leaning my head back, feels weird. It doesn't really hurt, but there's a greater sensitivity in your bones there to any pressure. Sometimes the left side aches enough that even my inner ear aches. That's probably the most physically painful thing I've experienced from it in weeks.

I did have just a bit of the infamous post-zygoma/facial contouring double chin for about 3 weeks, noticeable mostly by just me probably. I'm still in my early 20s and the consultants assured me my age and lack of fat in that part of my face would protect me from any major sagging. I'm happy to report there doesn't seem to be any sagging. But it's a risk you will really have to decide you are comfortable taking or not, if a possible trade could be worth it to you.

GNG did use dissolvable screws.
Yes, I got vline along with zygoma reduction.

I feel the same way about my rhino and ptosis correction results at GNG. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way about your results. If you need to talk to someone who shared a similar experience, I'm here!

That's exactly how I feel - it's still u shaped. Thank you so much for your advice.

Hopefully it will improve in a few months as others have said might happen because it's disheartening to consider another v line surgery.

I kinda laughed when I was shown the trimmed bones. It seems so dark to be shown your own chopped off skull. XD

-

One other thing I should have mentioned before: my chin is very numb. I can feel when something touches my skin there but at maybe 10-20%. it makes sense that my nerves there could be stretched so hopefully it just needs time.

Ok, I wasn't sure before but there is definitely a weird noise in my right cheekbone/ear area when I chew. I don't know if it's the "clicking noise" people talk about, it's quiet and kind of sounds sticky or like popping bubble wrap. Is this normal?

Hi MissOrange,
I've been lurking around here for a few months now, considering to get facial contouring done at GNG. Your comment worries me. Did the girls say that they wanted a big change, but GNG's Dr. Choi barely took any bone off? Or did they not properly explain what they wanted, so the surgeon was forced to be more conservative? I have seen some FC results on some forumers here that were pretty dramatic changes, namely a girl whose name I think was Calliecat (she posted some pictures on the forum a few months back)

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Hi pspi,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience :sad: I have the same problem of not being able to speak up when I am purchasing a service, be it a haircut or surgery (or in my case, both back-to-back, *sigh*), because I do not have the confidence to relay my concerns at length. So I am in the same boat as you: I did not tell anyone outside of PF about my procedures, and I regret not having properly expressed my concerns to my surgeon when I did my primary rhino at GNG recently.

I showed some pictures and was more vocal during my initial consultation, but on the surgery date, when I had the consultation that actually mattered, I froze despite having a list of talking points and a gallery of images prepared on my laptop. I ended up showing only one picture and basically said that I just wanted a nose where the bridge, tip, and alars were in proportion. My concerns over the finer details were all over the place, and I did not want to confuse the surgeon or unintentionally convey that I wanted very little change; I figured the doctor knew best (though of course they cannot read our minds). So, I failed to express that I did not necessarily want a nose as close in size as possible to the one in the photo if the structure of my nose did not permit it, but that what I liked most about my wish nose were its proportions; in retrospect, I was probably not on the same page as my surgeon. I cannot complain too much because along with my forehead fat grafting, the rhinoplasty has done more than I could have imagined to improve my overall appearance. However, I am not satisfied with the nose itself. In fact, immediately after I removed my cast, I was so shocked by how much my nose differed from my expectations that I hid it behind my face mask, which I had not even felt the need to wear during my whole week of recovery. For anybody reading my post, don't get me wrong; Dr. Hong did excellent work considering my base, and I have received positive feedback on my new nose. It is continuing to improve as the swelling of my tip goes down a little day by day, but I cannot help but obsess over it (in a bad way) every time I see my reflection. The consultant is probably tired of receiving my messages lol, but she’s been nothing but sweet and reassuring. The bridge is too thin for my preference (a few girls who have seen my new nose have said, "That's good! Why would you want a big nose?"), which throws off the whole thing for me. I think the surgeon tried to get it as close in size as possible to the nose in the photo I showed, which, in the absence of specific directions, makes perfect sense, but I had just wanted to translate those proportions to my meatier nose. Were the bridge wider, not only would I love my results--so frustrating because I had a wider nose to start with—but I might have been able to avoid disclosing my procedure to friends and family. Now, my parents are definitely going to notice when I return, which does not bode well for me because my mom is overprotective x 100 and I am still ~teenage-aged. It is also easier to decrease the size of a nose where too little was removed than to increase it, especially as few Asian patients request such a change :sad:

It is one thing for the surgeon to mess up, but it especially sucks to feel like a few more minutes of communication on our own part would have given us what we wanted, especially when we spent all this emotional and physical energy doing research, traveling, and envisioning a specific outcome. Perhaps there were physical limitations in both of our cases that got in the way of our desired results. Or maybe a wider bridge would have made my radix look weird, I don’t know. In any case, I would say to focus on the improvements from the surgeries (at least we did not get botched + we are our own worst critics), and hopefully, as the swelling goes down slowly over time, the cumulative effect will be closer to what you want!